• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes AR-10 Scope Opinions [decided IOR!!!]

Bob Friend

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2012
Active reader--first post! I need opinions on scopes for my FA 308 18.5". It is a beast, so compact is in order. I'm trying to keep this close to $2000 or less. Here are my choices (so far):

- USO 1.8-10, Ergo/EREK, JNG MOA (can it be had in x37mm?, too heavy? wait time? top of my price/size range)
- IOR 1-10x SFP (looks about right, MP-8X is "busy")
- IOR 1.5-8, 1/4 MOA knobs (have handlied the 308 knob version, price is right, size is right, cqb reticle not very useful)
- March 1-10 non-illum MTR-2 (sounds great on paper, can't afford illum)

I don't want a really long "sniper" scope. I have an ACOG 4x TA31RCO on my AR-15, so I don't think the many 1-6 optics add much more than that. Glass must be as good as IOR 1.5-8 and my ACOG, both of which I think are really good.

Your opinions, suggestions would be great! I need a scope...

Re: AR-10 Scope Opinions Please!

I have the USO 1.8-10 like you're looking at, but they didn't offer JNG MOA in it at the time and mine is 44mm. It sits on my AR-10 Carbine and seems to work well. Clarity is good, reticle focuses easily, looks normal through the entire power range. Eventually I'll most likely change my bbl to 18" or 20" match barrel. I feel the gains of accuracy and velocity will be more beneficial compared to the added weight and length. At that point I will be able to really make a more educated assessment of this optic.

Still I have a fixed ST-10 on my 5R Milspec and I've been able to use it effectively to 1k. Anything less than 10x and I feel that spotting misses and seeing mirage would become quite difficult. I have a similar optic on my 300 whisper. A 2.5-10x24 NXS. I use that a lot more on the lower power ranges than I did with the 308.

AR-10C.jpg

That's helpful and thanks for the pic.

So, what about the NXS vs the others? My impression (from 6 yrs ago) is that the sight picture is a little "faded" on the NXS (not compared to lower end obviously, just in this group). Is that true for you relative to your USO? The price of the NXS is certainly a lot better...

I want to like Leupold, but I don't think it is in the mix...for me.

My 2.5-10x24 NXS is super bright and clear. Surprisingly so considering it has that small objective. I think I compared the 2 when I first got the USO, and I'm not 100% about the end result. I'm thinking the difference was so subtle that I ended up thinking that both were great scopes.

I don't see mirage as much on the NXS. Not sure if that's because I can't adjust parallax or if it's due to the small objective.

Well, that is good to hear because everything else about the NXS is 1st rate, including price among the scopes I'm looking at. Is it possible to get that x24 anymore, anywhere? I like its compactness vs the x32 version...

Anyone else with opinions on NXS glass relative to this list?

Thanks for the NXS opinions, T & S.

So, is the x32 gtg and should I just forget trying to find a high condition x24?

Is the NP-R2 reticle a good choice?

I have both 24 and 32 mm objective. The 24 works real well except in low light, then the 32 mm works better. Its a hard choice though as the 24 is so small and low to AR system.

Either one is a very good choice but Like I said earlier I lover the Leupold MK4 on AR 15s and AR10s. Just seem to be perfect scopes for the system to me

High caliber sales has the same basic 2.5-10x24 scope that I have. Mine has the same MOA reticle.

http://highcalibersales.com/available-items.html

I think for the most part the 2.5-10x24 is only made in limited runs for government contracts and Kevin somehow is able to get a few of the overruns. (Just speculating.)

For the time being I have a Leupold M4 4.5-14X50 TMR in a LaRue 104 mount on my AR10(T). It seems to be working out pretty well.

love this one on my ar

DSC_0070.jpg

I have another coming for my SASS 3.2-17x37

just sold the top scope pictured
DSC_0021-1.jpg

Thanks for the Leupold vote.

Anything else in the $1200-2200 price range that I should think about???

How about some opinions on glass quality? Opinions on reticles, turrets etc?

Thanks for the help so far!

Anything in the SWFA SS line would probably be in your price range although they might be higher mag then you want I have been quite happy with my 5-20

I really like how the NXS has 10moa per turn. 12moa on M1 is just weird on the leupolds. Also the NXS zero stop on elevation allows for multiple turns compared to single turn M3 knobs.

NXS knobs are nice and positive and I've always had consistent tracking on the NXS scopes.

Erek does have a weird number per turn, but even at 1/4moa 22.5MOA is quite a bit and you won't find yourself turning past it that often. 1/2moa makes it even better at 45moa per turn. Erek is positive feeling and mine have all tracked well. Setting it correctly can be a bit of a pain, but at least the center screw allows for precise adjustment that goes beyond the click value. (For a better zero.)

Thanks for info on the NXS knobs. NF seems to have settled on what most people seek in features.

Question for you: I have astigmatism. Does lack of parallax control affect focus or is it all in the eyepiece? How does the ocular focus work? Thanks.

Never mind that last...I found a NF manual online that explains how to focus the ocular to get a sharp reticle picture. Sorry I get a little confused on all the scope options.

I have astigmatism as well. Issues with this are usually way more pronounced in higher magnification scopes. The NXS has ocular diopter adjustment. It's kind of a pain since the threads for adjustment are really fine. Reticle focus (in relation to target and bringing them into the same focal plane) is what you adjust with this. Reticles in NXS scopes are very fine, so they are harder to pick up if the diopter isn't set correctly. Usually it takes me several outings to get each scope right.

At 10x stuff at 50yds and in can become a bit blurry. Of course at these distances 10x is a bit much for anything but rimfire target shooting. From 50-100 at 10x it seems that the eye will fight to get the either the reticle or the target in focus. The effect will be subtle and it's just easier to just focus on the target. Anything past this, and everything is perfectly focused through the power range.

Of course if it's brighter out, focusing will be easier.

In regards to parallax, very little parallax error seems to be induced except at ranges inside 100yds and at 10x. Still this error shouldn't effect anything in any practical sense.

Personally, I noticed that I tended to shoot groups way better at 100yds while wearing astigmatism correcting contacts vs glasses. I attribute this to the fact that it's very hard to keep glasses in the exact same spot on the face and look directly through the center of the lens while shooting. Contacts float on the eye and stay in the same orientation as long as your head is vertical. Of course for me, my contacts aren't perfect because they only make them in larger increments of power, cylinder and axis. So they can be a bit more blurry.

I have found that if I take a shower with contacts in, they get sharper, but holy cow are they hard to get out. Still if I go long range shooting, I try and put my contacts in before I shower and leave for the day.

I'm really waiting for the nikon m-308 with niko. I have the m-223 on my ar-15 and I really like it.

Elfy

USO 1.8-10 is offered in a 37mm Objective. Great all around scope for an AR-10

Thanks for that explanation Salmon. I shoot without glasses, because my eyes do different things at different distances and I never understood what "distance" you are actually looking at in a scope, even assuming you just focus on the reticle. Six inches doesn't seem like the answer since I can't see anything at that distance.

I hear you on the ocular...even if its a pain, I should only be messing with it once. On parallax, I have a very good cheek weld and don't move much, so perhaps that would not be a problem on the NXS compact. On my old Bushnell 2.5-16 (sold) I never noticed any change when I adjusted parallax.

Elfy, thanks for the heads up on the new Nikon. I've looked at the m-223, but hadn't heard of the 308. I will google it...

A Nikon 3-9 was my first scope on my first rifle--a 223 Browning bolt action. It stayed with the rifle, which is with a new owner. It was a decent scope as far as glass went, as I remember it. Clear and bright is what I remember...

I like the idea of the USO 1.8-10x37 Dave. More aesthetic than the 44 and lighter by a few ounces I would think.

Is that true for you relative to your USO? The price of the NXS is certainly a lot better...Of course if it's brighter out, focusing will be easier.

I don't understand the "brighter out" comment Alice. Please explain.

I love the look of the Mk6. Are they even availalbe yet? Has anyone used them?

My choice would be the NXS 2.5-10X32 or if you want a really compact scope the NXS 1-4x24. I really like both of them.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 2.5-10x24 NXS...fwiw

Regards, Matt
757-581-6270 </div></div>

People always say this one and I agree they were the shit, but you can't get them anymore :-(

I've been pondering this same issue as well as what AR10 to get. There's so much great stuff out there it's hard to pick. I own a NF 2.5-10x24. I purchased it used off a hide member and put it on my SPR. It's a great optic just like everyone says. That being said I'm going with the Leupold Mark 6 simply because of the BDC reticle. I'm looking to set up more of a battle rifle and I think it will be a great all around optic. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks RM. The MK 6 looks awesome if the glass is up to par with the others here. Have you ordered it yet?

I think I have narrowed my choice to either USO 1.8-10 or IOR 1-10 SFP. I would love to hear about your MK6 and what the street price is, if that is permitted by forum rules. I thought the MK6 was not really available yet.

Also, I'm sorry to hear SCARbliss say you can't really get the NXS 2.5-10 either...

You can still get the 2.5-10x24 NXS from High caliber sales. Also, you can get the 2.5-10x32 NXS anywhere. This model replaced the 24mm objective version. (Except for govt contracts.)

Earlier I was trying to explain that parallax error on this scope is minimal due to the low power range. Also, the parallax setting should be fixed at a specific distance and then at farther distances be relatively parallax free. This is how scopes without parallax adjustment are. Usually the distance is around 100yds.

My biggest reason for pushing the NXS scopes is that they track very well and just don't seem to wear out. Do searches about broken nightforce scopes, you will find very little if any.

I tried finding the x32 without success, so far.
I will also contact High Caliber.
Thanks for the tip...I had just about eliminated NF from the running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCARbliss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 2.5-10x24 NXS...fwiw

Regards, Matt
757-581-6270 </div></div>

People always say this one and I agree they were the shit, but you can't get them anymore :-( </div></div>

Fwiw,
I mentioned the 24mm Objective Version as that's the scope I've used on the Mark 12. I was impressed with clarity, resolution, and tracking. It also performed well behind the OASYS UNS T/LR thermal units.

That said there is NOTHING wrong with the 32mm Version. As a matter of fact I am replacing a number of older Leupolds with the NXS 2.5-10x32 Mil-Dot Zero Stops on everything from short .308s to my Custom M70 .375 H&H. AWESOME OPTIC and yes I'm still a Schmidt Bender Pimp. Nightforce just has a nearly bulletproof practical scope with that unit. It's not a 1-8 Schmidt or Leupold, however, it wasn't designed to be. Again as a practical optic it excels...imo.

Regards, Matt.
757-581-6270

I decided to go with IOR 2-12-32 (discontinued model, bought new-old stock). It is mil/moa and capped turrets, but I can work with that. The eye relief is a little short (especially next to NF), but it is better than my TA31, which I have used on the AR-10 without issue. My criteria were:

Great glass - check
Compact - 10.75" check
Nice reticle - MP8 check
No BDC reticle or knobs - check

I really fell in love reading about the USO 1.8-10, but I was unable to look through one first hand. It is a lot of money for me to spend on faith. I will try to get my hands on one for comparison...perhaps my next scope.

I do not think the NF or Leupold compare in terms of optic quality. The view thru the IOR is far superior, IMO. NF was a great runner up--I have not found one single thread where someone had a problem with their NF, same for Leupold. I just want the glass...

I think this will be perfect on my FA-308. I will post pics once I have it mounted up.

Many thanks to all of you for your opinions, some of which were very detailed. You all helped me a lot and I appreciate that.