• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 vs GAP-10 : Accuracy difference?

AnschutzNerd

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
World Traveler
I have nearly all the parts for an Armalite AR-10. I planned to send the parts to GAP to have a barrel made and the rifle assembled.

Then... GAP brought the GAP-10 to market about a year ago. The accuracy of the GAP-10 speaks for itself and I am tempted to sell my AR-10 parts at a loss and go the GAP-10 route.

I have tried to contact GAP through this forum and through e-mail. I am less than pleased with their response! The PM I sent through snipershide was ignored and the e-mail I received in reply did not match up to my inquiry. They're obviously busy and I'm considering other options.

For those of you that own a GAP AR-10 in 308, What is an average group size when all things come together?

A Krieger or Noveske barrel are looking better all the time. What about group sizes from an APA AR-10? Interested in those too!

AnschutzNerd

Re: AR-10 vs GAP-10 : Accuracy difference?

I believe the last time we shot my gap10 for groups we were pulling .6's for 5 rounders. Thats two different people who don't religiously shoot gas guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have tried to contact GAP through this forum and through e-mail. I am less than pleased with their response! The PM I sent through snipershide was ignored and the e-mail I received in reply did not match up to my inquiry. They're obviously busy and I'm considering other options.
</div></div>

They usually take a couple days to get back to people. Not to be a dick... but have you tried actually calling them?

GAP is so busy that its very hard to get much personal time out of them. I left several messages that weren't returned when I was ordering my GAP-10 (ordered in December and slightly overdue now). And generally only get about half of the the info I ask for in any email. Was the same when I ordered my first rifle from them 2 years ago.

They just are that busy, don't take it personally (though I do wish I could get them to lighten up a bit when I do get them on the phone).

Their work really is worth it.

why not buy a factory AR-10? the AR-10T and SASS all come with MOA guarantees.

I've actually had excellent luck getting a hold of them. Once I placed my order, I usually got my emails returned by Dustin within a day, if not shorter. Despite their enormous workload, I've been impressed with their CS.

What kind of accuracy are you looking for? I'm MORE THAN HAPPY with sub 3/4 MOA in a factory Armalite and the ones that roll of the line zipping sub 1/2 are not uncommon.

You wont always get a PM Answered here. As I get over 100 a week and simply dont have time to answer all of them with a complete responce. Please call Ken or Dustin (816) 221-1844. If you get voicemail please leave a message it means they are both on the phone, you will get a call back within 48 hrs. if you dont Email me directy [email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You wont always get a PM Answered here. As I get over 100 a week and simply dont have time to answer all of them with a complete responce. Please call Ken or Dustin (816) 221-1844. If you get voicemail please leave a message it means they are both on the phone, you will get a call back within 48 hrs. if you dont Email me directy [email protected]

</div></div>

Straight from <span style="font-style: italic">THE</span> Horse's mouth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally i dont drink fanboy koolaid from blokes that dont bother to be professional and helpful with customer dealings. i would rather give my hard earned bucks to someone who apreciates the folks that buy their merchandise. to the others... dont wanna deal with customers politely and pleasantly in a timely manner? hire sales people who will. just my thoughts on gap and many other "gun gurus" ive come across over the years.</div></div>

I appreciate your concerns,

I already have 3 people answering 4 phone lines. There becomes a time where taking 30-40 min to handle every call becomes impossible Hiring 10 people would not even solve it. Your local Marduk, I invite you to stop by anytime and see the operation. I have 18 employes working their asses off as well as the 3 answering the phone that never stops ringing. Ask the guys that have been by the shop if they think we anyting but serious about getting customers taken care of!!!!

I don't drink anyone's Kool-Aid and while I've owned GAP's in the past, I currently own none (gasp). However, I've shot with George in a few competitions now and I can tell you that he's as nice of a guy as his rifles are accurate.

Also, I've seen plenty of GAP rifles on prize tables, seen George helping newer shooters, etc. He may not have the time to hand hold like some less busy gunsmiths, but I will say that he is a solid guy and rifle builder.

I can say that without a doubt, George and crew go out of their way to take care of folks. I stop by regularly and I am always welcomed, no matter how busy the guys are. I've had some problems with a couple rifles over the years, not all were built by GAP, but I have always left with the issues fixed and feeling welcome there anytime. Am I a fan boy? Did I drink the Kool-Aid? Just call me a happy customer!

Taking AnschutzNerd out Friday to let him shoot my GAP10 so he can get some first hand experience with GAP's work.

I have had Ken on the phone for over 15 minutes just kicking tires. I have also left messages and heard back in less than 24 hrs. There are a shit ton of details and quite a bit of hand holding when it comes to ordering custom guns, so it's no surprise that this process takes time and a fair bit of consideration. When I have emailed I usually got a response within a day or so- sometimes at 11 pm or on the weekend. These people work hard to give you what want in a timely manner.

I only own one GAP and it is their new semi-auto in 308 and I can tell you it is a shooter. I can regularly shoot the .75" MOA guarantee and on days when things are clicking .5" at 100. I would not hesitate to give them more of my business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you that own a GAP AR-10 in 308, What is an average group size when all things come together?
</div></div>

When it all comes together the groups don't matter. You get a top 3 finish in a world full of bolt guns.

648-p2180001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally i dont drink fanboy koolaid from blokes that dont bother to be professional and helpful with customer dealings. i would rather give my hard earned bucks to someone who apreciates the folks that buy their merchandise. to the others... dont wanna deal with customers politely and pleasantly in a timely manner? hire sales people who will. just my thoughts on gap and many other "gun gurus" ive come across over the years.</div></div>

I appreciate your concerns,

I already have 3 people answering 4 phone lines. There becomes a time where taking 30-40 min to handle every call becomes impossible Hiring 10 people would not even solve it. Your local Marduk, I invite you to stop by anytime and see the operation. I have 18 employes working their asses off as well as the 3 answering the phone that never stops ringing. Ask the guys that have been by the shop if they think we anyting but serious about getting customers taken care of!!!! </div></div> I bought a GAP 260 off the hide, had a couple of question and placed a call. I ended up leaving a message and they called back the next day. They answered all my questions and could not have been nicer. The rifle itself is the nicest I have ever owned.

I bought my GAP-10 back in Nov, shot <.5 MOA out of the box with 175g FGMM. Fit and finish has impressed the hell out of everyone who has touched the gun. I am new to this line of guns and Ken @ GA Precision has handled my noobish questions with patience and answered every message left by the next day. Hell I hated to bother him because I knew he was building mine or someone else's baby.
I would not hesitate to have them build me another, and when I scrape up the coins they will be the first I call.

I just sent an email through their website today and got a response within an hour. They seem to do a great job to me and I look forward to placing my order within the next few weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have nearly all the parts for an Armalite AR-10. I planned to send the parts to GAP to have a barrel made and the rifle assembled.

Then... GAP brought the GAP-10 to market about a year ago. The accuracy of the GAP-10 speaks for itself and I am tempted to sell my AR-10 parts at a loss and go the GAP-10 route.

AnschutzNerd </div></div>

You have a nearly parts complete AR10, except for the one <span style="font-style: italic">most important part </span>(where you could make the most difference), and you're willing to take a LOSS to drink the Kool-Aid? Really?
I'm sorry I don't understand some ppl.
Should I throw my sub-MOA 20" barrelled AR10A4B away??
crazy.gif

Really, calm down, take a breather. Then find a reputable barrel maker that will sell you a chrome moly vanadium steel alloy barrel - and have it nitrided.

Assemble or have assembled, and it will out-shoot you. Isn't that enough?

I have an AR10 with a Shelin 20" Select Match Barrel. It is a 1/2 MOA gun, but I'm not a 1/2 MOA shooter just yet. FWIW, I can't see the GAP being worth it until i can drive the gun better.

BCM

A GAP just gives you peace of mind that you missed the target because YOU suck and not the gun! lol

The image below is a 100yd target from my Armalite AR10A4B. I didn't write down the round count, but you can see it was 10 or more rounds.
According to conventional wisdom, you're not supposed to be able to shoot that well with a '<span style="font-style: italic">damned by faint praise</span>' Armalite product.

To really confound the reader, it's a 1999 model with a 20" chrome-lined heavy barrel!
shocked.gif
I will freely admit the rifle has a 2 stage trigger, JP Enterprises free-float tube, and the barrel was cryo-treated by 300 Below, Inc. 175gr Black Hills red box ammo. Oh, and the glass is a much-maligned Springfield Armory 1st Generation Govt Model 4x14x56mm scope. As I say, if you only listen to the word on the street, this combination of rifle and scope isn't worth spit.

My point- Armalite rifles <span style="font-style: italic">are not</span> also-rans. You don't have to have the pinnacle of gas-gun tech to shoot well. Choose wisely!
AR10%20Target3002.jpg

not able to reply immediately = they are busy, and thats a good thing.

they sell great products. I've been Beyond pleased with my bolt gun from them. Still working on a good reload with the Ar-10 they built for me

The only weakness with a GAP rifle is the finger pulling the trigger!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fnbrowning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The image below is a 100yd target from my Armalite AR10A4B. I didn't write down the round count, but you can see it was 10 or more rounds.
According to conventional wisdom, you're not supposed to be able to shoot that well with a '<span style="font-style: italic">damned by faint praise</span>' Armalite product.

To really confound the reader, it's a 1999 model with a 20" chrome-lined heavy barrel!
shocked.gif
I will freely admit the rifle has a 2 stage trigger, JP Enterprises free-float tube, and the barrel was cryo-treated by 300 Below, Inc. 175gr Black Hills red box ammo. Oh, and the glass is a much-maligned Springfield Armory 1st Generation Govt Model 4x14x56mm scope. As I say, if you only listen to the word on the street, this combination of rifle and scope isn't worth spit.

My point- Armalite rifles <span style="font-style: italic">are not</span> also-rans. You don't have to have the pinnacle of gas-gun tech to shoot well. Choose wisely!
AR10%20Target3002.jpg
</div></div>

Big amen to all this. A good buddy of mine has an Armalite 10T and it will shoot 1/2 MOA all day with 175 FGMM....not bad for factory ammo and a bone stock rifle. I am certainly not downing the GAP-10 as it is an excellent rifle...but, for my money, well...