• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR 10

Dangerousdan

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2010
United States
I'm looking to purchase the pieces to put together my frist ar10 build. and I have found differents in the upper receivers. I have to decide do I want an forward assest or not? Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: AR 10

You have less choices in magazines if you go with Armalite type. I'd research this carefully if it was me and FA wouldn't be on the short list of necessities.

FA not a deal breaker. Have one on mine. Like the way it looks. Aside from that, unless you plan on shooting several hundred rounds in a combat zone, you probably won't need it.

Still like the way it looks with the FA as compared to a slick side.
I know, I know, I'm no help.

I've had my Armalite AR10 for eight years and have never needed the use of a foward assist. Between the powerful buffer spring and the mass of the bolt carrier, if the bolt fails to close when chambering a round, you don't want to force it beyond that point. If a gummed up, dirty action is significantly slowing down the bolt carrier, then forward assist would be of use. I've just never let my rifle get in that condition.

Lonewolf, thanks for the build infor. The FA sounds like Insurance to me. I don't thing I will be running off alot of rounds but if I were the FA is a good think. I try to keep my rifles clean I believe if you clean them regularly, there their when you need them. This is an Armalite and the mags aren.t a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My semi-auto 7.62 is a AR10 without forward assist.

Magazines are not an issue. I just bought Armalite mags. You don't see guys refusing to buy AI rifles just because of the magazine supply.

Here is my build series from the AR10:

http://www.8541tactical.com/precisionar10.php </div></div>

For whatever reason, some people really get hung up on the mags. It seems there are posts everyday about people wanting to make sure the .308 AR platform they buy can use the .308 PMags. Buying a rifle based on the ability to use a certain brand of magazine seems like lunacy to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My semi-auto 7.62 is a AR10 without forward assist.

Magazines are not an issue. I just bought Armalite mags. You don't see guys refusing to buy AI rifles just because of the magazine supply.

Here is my build series from the AR10:

http://www.8541tactical.com/precisionar10.php </div></div>

For whatever reason, some people really get hung up on the mags. It seems there are posts everyday about people wanting to make sure the .308 AR platform they buy can use the .308 PMags. Buying a rifle based on the ability to use a certain brand of magazine seems like lunacy to me. </div></div>

Lunacy? Saying that is lunacy is... lunacy. It's actually wise because I jumped to purchase a DPMS LR308 a couple years ago prior to the Pmags being out and not knowing any better. I, much like you, thought it was foolish to make a rifle purchased based on what mags it took. Well I learned a tough lesson. The DPMS came with a couple mags (C-Products as I recall) and I couldn't get either one to feed reliably. I took them back to the shop and they swapped me out for two more mags which had the exact same issues. Keep in mind these were ALL brand new mags from the factory and made the rifle unusable. They wouldn't feed and when I loaded ammo the followers would bind up and ammo would fall out before you even attempted to insert the mag. The only way it would not bind up is if you only loaded a couple rounds and even then not all of them would feed. To get two rounds to feed in a row was miraculous which basically made your system a heavy bolt rifle only less accurate. After some research I discovered Magpul was making .308 Pmags and (luckily) that my particular rifle would indeed take them. I put the rifle in the back of the safe which is where it sat for the next year or so... patiently waiting. When they finally shipped them I jumped on a handful of them and it completely solved my issues. No changes in configuration, ammo or anything. Just a simple change in magazine and my system ran flawlessly. I was lucky that I didn't NEED that rifle to work right away although to have a couple thousand dollar weapon system sit unusable for that long is more than most would be willing to do. So, in closing, not only is it not lunacy it's quite wise to shop your 308 AR platform on magazine since it's such an important part to the system. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't even consider a platform that didn't accept the Magpul 308 Pmags from my personal experience.