• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR-10T Barrel Shortening / Threading

TXCOWDOC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Aggieland (College Station, TX)
I'll be cutting down the 22" barrel to legal minimum on an AR10T in 338 Fed so that when my 338 cal can is threaded on the overall length will be managable. This rifle will be a dedicated suppressed weapon. Any concerns other than lost muzzle velocity?
Thanks

Re: AR-10T Barrel Shortening / Threading

I don't foresee any problems; I am assuming that your gas hole is behind where you want to cut. You may have to try different buffers/ springs if you have any problems with the weapon cycling, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Just out of curiosity, how well does the 338 federal group out of the AR10?

You may have to enlarge the gas hole. The shorter barrel will decrease the time the gas has to pressurize the gas tube and it may fail to cycle. I have a spare 20" bbl and I just measured the gas hole to muzzle distance. It is 7 inches. If I were to cut it down to 16" the gas hole would only be exposed to pressure while the bullet traveled past it in the ast 3" of bbl instead of the entire 7" that it would get as is.

Dont just drill the hole bigger, contact a barrel maker and aask them what size it should be for the barrel and gas tube length you are using. Go to the small end of the range they give you and go to the high end only if needed. If you always use a can it may work without enlarging the gas hole since it gives more back pressure.

Though I've owned a couple of AR type rifles previously, I must admit that I have never put much thought into the gas system functionality. So say I buy the rifle, cut the barrel and thread it and put on my can. Wosrt case scenario- it does not cycle. Who do I talk to about finding the components to make it function again?
Confused in Aggieland