• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 3 shot burst cause ?

arnie19

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Ca.
What are some reasons for this to happen .Stock mill spec trigger and hammer assembly . 24 inch barrel ,rifle length gas tube ,A2 stock . I cleaned the whole upper with a sonic cleaner and lubed it all up .I did clean a bunch of grease off the buffer and spring that I had put there to quiet it down .Now im wondering if the thing is cycling too fast . It was working fine before I cleaned it .Its been probably 1000 rounds since I cleaned it last .

Are you using reloads? I have this problem when I run a suppressor. The primer thickness is a problem as I am getting primer strikes from the floating firing pin. Just a thought. It you are using very thin primers, this could be the problem. If they are, I would recommend the CCI #41 primers. They are thicker and designed for the AR-15 platform.

I will have to check which primers I have on the load that was doing this .I plan to take the trigger group out and clean so I will check the spring .I was thinking maybe the disconnect was worn .I have others so if it looks odd ,I will replace it . I usually shoot this rifle single feed with 69 to 80 gr. bullets set way out but the last time I mag fired it ,it functioned fine . If you have never had this happen before ,believe me you get a lot of looks from your buddies ha

Disco spring upside down. The big end goes in the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, a broken disconnector spring, possibly even a broken hook on the disconnector and/or hammer would cause this as well.

Ok ,took the trigger group apart and cleaned it all .The spring for the disconnector was not a tapered one like im used to seeing .It might have been the one for the bolt stop .I put the right spring in and looked all the parts over and compared to new ones and all looked ok. Tried it out today and it functioned right for 23 rounds so im calling it good . Thanks for the hints .Arnie

weak trigger springs in general will cause it...for a while every DPMS i put my hands on was like that...i could shoot 1 round and hold in the trigger for 10-12 seconds..really stressing the springs, then let go and it would empty the mag without ever pulling the trigger lol

bench

Bench ,sounds exciting but even more so since you knew what was coming .When it does when your not expecting ,its quite a rush.