• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 Barrel 1:9 Twist?

xring01

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2003
California
I am very new to the AR Seen... Been doing the Varmint Match, 1000yd, 1500yd, even 2000yd stuff for years...

Anyway, I am in the process of building a low budget AR15 for my son...

My question, how big of a bullet can a 1:9 twist 223 barrel stabilize...

Re: AR 15 Barrel 1:9 Twist?

55's ideally

I've also had some good luck with hand loaded 62s and even 75s depending on the distances I'm shooting.

From my barrel, my best performance has been the 55s.

It's 'Scene'.
There is no 2000yd 'stuff', certainly not 'for years'.
And by 'how big', do you mean how long or how heavy?

The answer is: It depends. It depends on the bearing surface of the bullet, on the barrel and on the temperature.

Probably 70's, maybe some 75's. Not 80 VLDs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWM_5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and even 75s depending on the distances I'm shooting.</div></div>Stability is not a function of distance. Either a bullet is stable, or it isn't.

if you are looking at statistics such as velocity, bullet drop, bullet grain, you are going to get your best out of something like a 65gr sierra game king, that is probably going to be the biggest size bullet that a 1:9 twist ratio barrel will be able to maximize the stability of out towards the distance the platform was designed to achieve.

It depends on the length of the barrel to a point bu 69 grains is easy for a 1/9 but some longer 1/9's will work wtih 75's and 77's some won't.
Pat

A true 1:9 should stabilize a 75gr Hornady BTHP at 2700fps with no problem at sea level and 85F. You may have problems at lower temperatures, though.

69gr SMK's will work fine at whatever temperature.

I like the 69gr SMK, and the 62gr green tip nope nex that they the blue fmj, no issues and mine is being fired out of a 7.5" SBR, I refer to as the toy.

A 1/9 will stabilize the 70 vld, which is going to be about the best performing AR magazine length bullet out there. It has a BC equivalent to the 75/77 bthp/smk and can be pushed faster.

Do yourself a favor and just get a 1 in 8 barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do yourself a favor and just get a 1 in 8 barrel. </div></div>Yes, if it's a true 8-twist.
wink.gif

The 9-twist should shoot 70gr Berger LTBs very well at mag length with the right powder. That should get you to 800 yards.

Check your rifling yourself to be sure. I have a 16" RRA 1:9 barrel, it is dang near 1:8.5.

I run 75gr Hornady HPBT handloads @ 2675 to 500 easy, and on low wind days she will lob them out there to 750.