• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR-15 Barrel Selection

Rock Head

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2012
Maryland
I am looking to build an accurate AR. I would like this rifle to be very accurate and be able to shoot out past 500 yards (I have been told this is possible when properly set up). I have been looking at several barrel options, but I cannot find anything that discusses the benefits/drawbacks of barrel type.

I have seen a rifles set up with bull barrels, what is the benefit of this barrel design? Does the weight of the barrel help absorb the recoil in the place of a muzzle break?

I was thinking a 20" barrel with a 1:8 twist should do the trick. I have seen longer barrels out there, but when speaking with a few guys at the range they said due to limitations of the ammo, barrels longer than 20" won't make a difference, is this true?

Unfortunately I do have to keep budget in mind when buying a barrel, so that knocks out barrels like Krieger and Lilja. I have heard good things about Criterion and Rainier Match Barrels. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fulton armory has some 20" barrels for under $300 and I have heard good things about them. 20" would be a good length as it would help with velocity to get rounds out further.

I'm far from an expert (just getting into this), but I just finished the type of build you're talking about.

I was able to go with Krieger, but I've head a lot of good thing about WOA (if not the friendliest people in emails... lol).

24" Krieger Heavy VarMatch in 223 Wylde with a 1:7.7 twist.

No offense, but take what "guys at the range" say with less than a grain of salt. I can't tell you how many times I head "223 is only good to 300yards max." I borrowed a friends 223 Rem R700 (custom) and shot a 566 9x at 600y with mag fed rounds. Nothing amazing, but it was my very first time using a bolt gun that wasn't a mosin and my absolute first time shooting beyond 100y.

The round is completely capable, though I do think there are better options if distance is your goal. Talk to the guys who do that kind of shooting and do it well.

I've just started range officer training and on my first day had to show two people how the bolt catch on their AR worked because they thought it "has to have a magazine in it to lock back." I'm sure your range buddies are more educated than this, but we all have a tendency to say things we hear rather than what we know.

Additional barrel length is going to give you greater velocity. If you're shooting a 223 at 500+ yards, you really do need about as much help as you can get. The wind bullies that little round pretty badly.

As someone who has just finished this type of build, let me off a piece of advice: GET A BOLT GUN. Lol. For the type of shooting I want to do, a bolt gun would have been much better. Seriously think of why you're building an AR and not a bolt gun. It's fine if you just like the aesthetics of an AR more (ME!) and if that's what you want, that's what you want.

Best of luck with your build. Give WOA a call and talk to them about what they recommend for what you want to do.

Another +1 for WOA or Rainier Match/Ultramatch barrels. I'm shooting an Ultramatch 16" with great results. I shoot to 500 yards on an 8" plate with little difficulty using handloads. Wind is your biggest enemy.

Going from a 16" to a 20" barrel will gain you just over 100fps. Sounds like a lot, but the difference in wind drift (10mph, full value) at 500 yards is only .1mil. Going to 24" would increase muzzle velocity by another 100fps and gain you another .1mil of wind. Personally, I'll stick with a 16".

Reactions: deersniper
Any quality barrel from Frank White, my preference is the 1-7.7 Krieger, but Frank has other barrel options. Also you didn't mention if you will be shooting factory ammo or reloads, that will make a difference if you are looking for a very accurate rifle for 500+ yards. Also the chamber you have the barrel reamed for, also will have a effect, 20 inch 1/8 twist with a 223 Wylde chamber is a good option.

Brownells had Kreiger and White Oak in stock when I ordered last month. I got a White Oak for my carbine and a 20in Kreiger for my DMR.

My first question is, "If this is for long range, do you need to stick to the .223/5.56 chambering?" I've had two Grendels that I've taken out to 1400 and shot consistently with. A couple bullets have now come on line that will bring the 6.8 SPC (more so with the newer SPC II chambers) up to snuff out to 1k. They aren't fantastic, but do get out there better than a 5.56 with a 77 gr. OTM.

If you want to stay with the .223/5.56 then go with the 1-7" to 1-8" twist. Your choices for cartridges in that platform are numerous. And, several are really good long range calibers. Just make sure you get the right twist for what you plan on getting.

I dont think anyone with common sense will argue against longer barrels being better for pushing bullets at a distance. Velocity is your friend in the game of long range shooting. Having said that however, I'm also of the opinion that big heavy bench rifles just plain suck. They do the job really well, but are a pain in the ass to carry, transport or use for anything other than prone or bench shooting. With that in mind, most of the rifles I own are comparatively shorter and lighter than purpose built long range guns. I really like the idea behind rifles like the 18" SPR and 16" RECCE. There is of course a loss of velocity when comparing the 18 and more so the 16" barrels against a 20"+ barrel, but the shorter barrels do generate enough velicity to get a heavy 77 grain bullet out pretty far. The 18" and 16" rifles pictured below routinely get shot out to 650 yards at torso sized steel plates. At 650, even the shorter 16" rifle makes it look pretty easy. I've shot the 18" rifle as far as 800 yards, and I think thats about where it starts to run out of steam. It still makes a decent percentage of hits, but the energy behind them is obviously lacking at that point.

Top rifle is running a stainless 18" Bergara barrel from PRI, bottom rifle has a 16" mid length fluted stainless barrel from Saber Defense. Both are 5.56 chambered with 1:8 twist.
9363345688_0e4ee8e464_c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
Another recommendation for the White Oak Barrels (made by Wilson I believe) I have two of them. One is a 20 in. and sits on an A2 upper I use for Highpower competition and the other is an 18 inch on one of White oaks flattop uppers. Both are definitely shooters and reasonably priced. I have another 20 inch on order but there is a wait time unfortunately. The twenty inch barrel will hold the x ring at the 600 yard line if I do my part (of course I don't always do that) I took the 18 inch barrel out two days ago and was hitting a 13x24 in steel plate consistently at 660 yards. If you want to shoot at longer distances like this get a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 inch twist so you have the ability to shoot 69 grain or heavier bullets which are needed.

As someone who has just finished this type of build, let me off a piece of advice: GET A BOLT GUN. Lol. For the type of shooting I want to do, a bolt gun would have been much better. Seriously think of why you're building an AR and not a bolt gun. It's fine if you just like the aesthetics of an AR more (ME!) and if that's what you want, that's what you want.

Slick rig, A bolt gun is in the plan as, but the reason I bought the lower is because I live in MD and after October 1 I will not be able to buy another lower. At first I told myself that I would throw the lower in the safe and eventually build it, but as time passes and I have time to think about it, I'm going to slowly build the rifle. I really enjoy bench shooting. I currently have an AR with a 16" 1:7 twist Daniel Defense barrel, which easily reaches 400 yards, but I use this gun most of my shooting and I'm getting tired of pulling on/off the bipod and scope. A day at the range will consist of me shooting targets at 50 ft, 100 yards and 400 yards and it seems some days it takes longer for me to zero the scope after pulling it on and off. I like the idea of a purpose built rifle

Slick rig, A bolt gun is in the plan as, but the reason I bought the lower is because I live in MD and after October 1 I will not be able to buy another lower. At first I told myself that I would throw the lower in the safe and eventually build it, but as time passes and I have time to think about it, I'm going to slowly build the rifle. I really enjoy bench shooting. I currently have an AR with a 16" 1:7 twist Daniel Defense barrel, which easily reaches 400 yards, but I use this gun most of my shooting and I'm getting tired of pulling on/off the bipod and scope. A day at the range will consist of me shooting targets at 50 ft, 100 yards and 400 yards and it seems some days it takes longer for me to zero the scope after pulling it on and off. I like the idea of a purpose built rifle

I got ya. I'd say build an SBR with it, but given you live in MD I'm guessing they have moronic laws about that.

Build something you'll enjoy. Good luck!

Thanks for the offer! I'll have to keep my eye open. Can you shed light on the bull barrel design. Aesthetically I like the barrel, but are there any advantages or disadvantages to the design?