• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR 15 BRASS CATCHER

eurosport

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, Il.
I am tired of chasing my brass at the range. I will be prairie dog hunting in May and would like to save my brass. So many times I forget to pick up brass be fore moving to another area. Can anyone recommend a good brass catcher for my RRA flat top 223? Thank you, Bob

Re: AR 15 BRASS CATCHER

+1 need one for helicopter shooting and would like to hear any opinions on diff ones.

Do you know how many casings it will catch without becoming a problem? the E&L one

he UTG/Leapers one is ok if you are on the move, but after so many rounds you will tend to get stoppages. I heard that Brugger & Thomet have a hard plastic one, may work better. For range use, pretty hard to beat a $2 mesh collapsing hamper from walgreens..

Having shot a couple AR's with brass catchers I have a basic opinion.
NO if you are running and gunning. You cannot afford the stoppages from brass getting smacked back into the open chamber.

YES if you are sitting on a bench at the range or prone at the range and stoppages are not an issue.

The soft material ones do not work as well as the hard plastic ones

I could not resist........SmokeRolls
005.jpg

Just tried to order cheaper than dirt. It is sold out and on backorder. $19.95 It is worth a try at that price. Hard type is probably better. Mixed reviews on their website about this product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR033-7.html

This is the one I use. It works fairly well for keeping up with 6.5 Grendel brass. I've got one a friend and I are working on, but right now it's on the back burner.</div></div>

+1 i use this one i normaly empty the bag in between 2-3 mags; works for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got this one, it works great, easy on and off, holds about 3 mags, the only downside is the adapter that attachs to the rail may get in the way of your optic or optic mount.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.5.1.5_brass_catcher.php

</div></div>
+1

i was averaging four pdog trips to wy a year not long ago. i'd take many rigs out west, but most were AR15 variants.

i have tried them all to the tune of thousands of rounds. the 3bucc unit is without a doubt the best around. light and easy to remove, it is held open unlike most by a welded cage so to speak, so when your bag starts to fill up, the weight doesn't collapse the bag shut... it also has a velcro opening along the bottom. just hold it over a bucket and let them all fall out.

i've used it on nearly any chambering you can think of including AR10s and it is the bees knees.

hope this helps.

-michael

I think Trigger Time and I should test all the above catchers listed from his Helicopter, Dang that would be a ball. Gets pretty hard on the pigs. The last one listed by dreamlander is in stock at Midway. It is $9.95, it appears to be same one listed on Cheaperthandirt for $19.95. I can leave this mesh one unzipped and it should make a neat pile. That is all I need to accomplish while shooting those nasty little vermin. I have it on order and I will give you my opinion after testing. Thanks for all the suggestions. I had searched Midway for "brass catcher" nothing was found. Dreamlander's link took me to brass catcher in Midway's catalog. What good is search?

The cheap nylon net ones.... yes, they catch the brass, but the hot brass melts the mesh and sticks to it. Then you have tear out the brass and scrape the little melted pieces of nylon off the brass.

What material is the 3bucc made of (hopefully cotton)? Will it melt?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cheap nylon net ones.... yes, they catch the brass, but the hot brass melts the mesh and sticks to it. Then you have tear out the brass and scrape the little melted pieces of nylon off the brass.

What material is the 3bucc made of (hopefully cotton)? Will it melt?

Thanks! </div></div>

it appears to be a canvas type stuff... looks like the same blend and weight of an army tent or cot...

+1 for the 3bucc. Use it on my AR, my bolt gun 6.5x47 (cuz that brass is expensive) and my disabled wife uses one on her tricked out 10/22.

This topic is what brought me to this forum. After another good thanksgiving shoot-fest with my family, I decided I need to just make a better brass catcher. I have the UTC mesh bag one that Midway sells for cheap, ($7.99 at present)and it is....ok at best. It folds over, and you need to turn the rifle to the right every few rounds to "dump" the brass out of the way to keep it from jamming. I am a fabricator, and plan to make a chute to guide the brass down into this bag. I haven't had the melting brass problem some have hadd, but it jams up pretty easily. I will start by making a prototype out of aluminum, and experiment from there. Trying to pick up brass out of snow sux.------Metalguy

For the range I just use a cardboard box - about 16" square. The flaps are extended and taped. The bottom flap is bent in at an angle and taped. Set it beside when shooting. The angled folded in flap, catches brass just like an indoor range catches lead. Cheap and works well.

You might want to take a look at this one - Tactical Brass Recovery. I ordered one of theirs to try out since I was working on something similar and these guys beat me to it. A buddy of mine has the E&L one and it works great except it will not work with my La Rue mount, so I decided to try out the one from Tactical Brass Recovery. Was supposed to show up today but FedEx is behind on deliveries because of the weather somewhere. Will post range report after I have used it.

I tried the one that holds 60 rounds of 223 which was fine till i wanted to use my 100 rd double drum clip.. i got my buddy to build me one that will work with with it and i just used it last weekend and it will hold 200 plus rounds i love it... i hate having to empty the little 60 rd plastic one and i really hate those stupid bags even more lol so this is why i had my budy build me one and it works great.

I was just curious if qnyone else built one that holds 200 or more rounds if so let me know..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR033-7.html

This is the one I use. It works fairly well for keeping up with 6.5 Grendel brass. I've got one a friend and I are working on, but right now it's on the back burner. </div></div>

This is the same one I use and it works really well. If you are just sitting at the range, leave the zipper open so it doesn't get heavy with empties and pinch the opening closed. Should work well in a helicopter.

I tried the bag ones before and never liked them.. they are a great idea but just didnt like how cheap and loose it always felt for me...

E&L manufacturing make a hard plastic one that holds about 60 .223 rounds before needing to be dumped. We use them and the work pretty good. They are made in Oregon and the owner is. Nice guy to talk to on the phone. He will let you know exactly what would work best if you call him.

I went through the same problem finding a good catcher, then i found it go to tactical brass recovery.com. The tactical brass bag will hold 240 rounds is collapsable so you can case your gun with it on. Super nice guy who makes them. I had a stitching issue so sent it back new bag put on changed the color for me, no charge sent it back and refunded my shipping expenses.Customer service top notch. The down side they arnt cheap, i think around $75 but she is worth every penny. You texas boys shooting pigs out of choppers are going to love this one as im sure the pilot will to

This is the one i had made for me by my buddy for a test before he does any other work to make it better.

2011-10-05_22-13-27_960.jpg

I have one from tactical brass recovery. I think I paid $80 for it at Knob Creek Machine gun show. It is very durable and keeps your brass clean. Some one was talking about using one on a helicopter, go to the website and look at the scar pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticalcnc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one from tactical brass recovery. I think I paid $80 for it at Knob Creek Machine gun show. It is very durable and keeps your brass clean. Some one was talking about using one on a helicopter, go to the website and look at the scar pictures.

</div></div>

That was me. It worked great, I can highly recommend it.

Oh wow just checked out that website i will say i do like that one very much and wish i would have seen them about a year ago.

I have not tried the one from 3bucc but the one from tactical brass recovery holds a lot more and has a zipper at the bottom to release the brass. It also does not mount on top. You have clear access to chamber.