• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing AR-15 Build MUST HAVE TOOLS

MWilliams96

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Will be building a new AR here soon, and plan to do many in the future, so what tools are a MUST HAVE, and what aren't? I've got all the punches, but what else should I pick up?

Re: AR-15 Build MUST HAVE TOOLS

there's a very simple little tool for installing the takedown pins' detent spring and captured pin. It's a 1/4" rod with a hole drilled through it, bent into an L shape, and if you don't have one prepare to launch those stupid little pins into the ceiling over and over again and cuss like a sailor.

A good CAR wrench is useful as a spanner for torquing buffer tube castle nuts.

If you're building uppers instead of buying them whole, you definitely will need a barrel wrench (part of the CAR wrench) and an action block.

Like stated above. Roll pin punches are good to have and for god sake please put some support under the trigger guard tabs when you drive the pin home. A great low buck option for the front takedown pin retainer is a clevis pin. Find one that fits in the takedown pin hole reasonably well. Insert it from the L side and line up the hole with the recess for the spring and detent and then press the spring and pin into its home with a punch. Then all you have to do is rotate the clevis pin so that it captures the detent. Push the front takedown pin into the R side of the lower while pushing out the clevis pin. It's a PITA otherwise.

The only specialty tool I have ever used is a barrel nut wrench and a upper receiver vise block. I just use large c clamps to clamp the the block to a heavy table, so no vice needed. I use a razor blade to install the front pivot pin detent, although I have done it without. Other than that, a hammer, roll of tape, and some punches. If actually tuning, a set of files and some polishing compound go a long ways.

Just buy or look at the tools listed in Brownells AR-15 tool kit. That should give you all of the ideas you need.

Barrel/multi wrench, upper reciever block and upper reciever truing bar for squaring
the face. The rest of the stuff will already be in a well equiped shop. And that little
take down detent pin tool sounds like a winner.

I will be checking headspace as I am buying the barrel and bcg seperately. I have never done this before, so what is the process of getting the headspace correct?

Ar's are incredibly simple to assemble and assemble well.

As some have mentioned:

-Punches
-upper reciever block
-AR Armors/multi tool
-Head space guages - insurance

These are the must haves everything else is cake. Having a nice vise is a plus. Also note if you go with a free float tube some require unique barrel nut wrenches. I have built lots of AR's and checked the head space on all of them, non were out. I have friends that build AR's and never check the head space. They are all still alive by the way.

Adjusting head space is on the advanced level for DIY. Easiest(not cheapest) is going thourgh a batch of bolts and barrels and mathcing them up. If you are really concerned just by a barrel with a matched bolt. Lot of companies sale them, now.

Hope this helps.

I would get one of the PRI barrel nut wrenches, they are the best out there. lots of pins to engage the barrel nut.

don't forget a big heavy vice. i got mine from Sears. but i guess that's a given already.

i find myself using both the action blocks (clam shell style) i got form Brownells as well as the DPMS style that goes into the receiver and is held in by two pins, that's about the only way to install if you use a Vltor MUR upper receiver.

lots of roll pin punches and punches, a good set of gunsmith screw drivers and allen wrenches, a strap wrench, definitely get a good stock wrench ( i got mine from Spike's ) and a good barrel nut wrench or a multi tool. the reason being, some barrel nut wrenches only have 2-3 prongs and you can still slip off and bend the barrel nut a bit, but if you get a DPMS style multi tool, it wraps around many of those prongs and it stays in place well. the stock wrenches that only have 1 prong, well they broke on me and i will never use it again. you should also get a prick punch or a pin punch for staking the castle nut, add grease, a small paint brush for applying it, and a torque wrench and you should be good to go.

Roll pin holders,the simplest tool I bought is also the best, or at least they make the job go much smoother and easier.

From what I understand there is no adjsuting head space its either good or not. If its not you either have to change the bolt or barrel. You will need a go and no go guage to check space. I was in a AR shop a couple months ago that builds and sells a ton of AR's online and they were getting ready to test some pistol uppers, they dug through some drawers until the found a bcg and then were off to test the uppers. Some people dont worry about the headspacing on AR, I wouldnt buy an upper from that company after witnessing that and would reccommed having head space checked before firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rubicon1996</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I understand there is no adjsuting head space its either good or not. If its not you either have to change the bolt or barrel. You will need a go and no go guage to check space. I was in a AR shop a couple months ago that builds and sells a ton of AR's online and they were getting ready to test some pistol uppers, they dug through some drawers until the found a bcg and then were off to test the uppers. Some people dont worry about the headspacing on AR, I wouldnt buy an upper from that company after witnessing that and would reccommed having head space checked before firing. </div></div>

I'm in the camp of checking headpsace on anything I build too - AR's included. Yes, it is an additional cost, and it is not adjustable as far as I know (not easily anyway), but it is cheap insurance. I will also second what another poster said about a good set of gunsmithing screwdrivers, that is something I wish I had also known first.

Thanks for all the input, I have a full array of tools from auto mechanic work, so the punches and torque wrench, and vice's i have. I just ordered the critical ar-15/m16 kit from brownells. Has just about everything i could see needing from your responses. If not, ill figure that out when the time arrives.