• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR-15 DISASSEMBLY?

Re: AR-15 DISASSEMBLY?

just start driving out pins.
smile.gif
Dis-assembly is harder than assembly.

check youtube for vids?

not sure what your into, but if you don't need to I'd leave the pen the holds the mag release alone. it can be a real pain in the ass

If you have a collapsible buttstock. Be sure to back off the retaining nut and try and not turn the buffer tube. Its fairly easy to damage the rear takedown detent spring. Just back off nut and slide the plate back rotate the buffertube a little and pull out that spring on the back of the receiver. Also have the buffer and spring removed since the buffer retainer pin and spring will come flying out.
Unless you are trying to strip paint off a lower I would just clean one up by blasting it with gun scrubber or carb cleaner

Van they're not supposed to be bent when you put them in.LOL Hell I got to where I just bend them and get it over with.
smile.gif
Vanns right tighten the ext tube nut on the carbine down to the last turn that you can still rotate the flange and then put the spring in. And I think Jeff might have been talking about the bolt hold open pin. I wrap electrical tape "One wrap only" around the jaws of a med to large pair of vice grips. It works great to press in the BHO pin and the forward assist retaining pin. You can go to Ar15.com look under the build it yourself threads like 1bolt says, they are very good tutorials .
Rad

Brownells has step by step videos available for viewing right on their website. Its pretty convienent because you have to buy them. Hope this helps.