• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 Magazine Clearance?

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
I was wondering how much room there should be between the tip of the bullet and the front of the magazine when loaded into the magazine. Is it good as long as it functions or is there a "set amount" of room that is recommended? I tried finding info on this subject but if you know of a post i missed i apologize.

Re: AR-15 Magazine Clearance?

Measure, make up some dummy rounds and try their function for yourself..
I recently tried some at 2.285" base to tip, there appeared to be at nice bit of clearance, but they still hung up, so I quit fooling around and stayed at 2.260" book length.

If it functions, your good to go!

It just has to have enough extra space to function and not hang up in the mags you are using.

I believe the PMags let you go a bit longer with the rounds than USGI aluminum mags will.

you want a decent amount of clearance if you want to insure function , i noticed hollow point rounds tend to hang up more then soft point or fmj

If you need to load long rounds in to the mags get HK HRM mags. The real ones and not the South Korean copies.