• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 Optics and mounting

Hondo64d

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
The Big Country
I'm going to put a low power variable, probably a 1-4, with illuminated reticle on my AR. Open to suggestions on that. Will be used for coyotes, deer and house cleaning.

I see that the most prevalent mounts are a cantilever style. I would much prefer, if I can get proper eye relief, to mount directly to the picatinny on the upper. Is that even possible?

Thanks,

John

Re: AR 15 Optics and mounting

Ive been eyeballing the US Optics spr mount. looks like a decent option for a smaller 1-4 without having to go cantilever

Most people can't get a proper eye relief with standard rings. With "proper" shooting positions, the tip of your nose will be near (or touching) the charging handle, requiring the ocular bell of the scope to be forward of the charging handle. A cantilever mount is required to get the scope positioned so far forward.

this ^^^

I use a Trijicon 1-4x24 mounted and Larue SPR-E and love it!
Or just put a red dot of your liking on the upper pict. rail...

I'm not a nose to the handle guy shooting prone. I have a cantilever mount on my USO, but could easily have used rings. Once you have your scope, I'd buy some $10 rings and try it.

All,

I'll profess to being somewhat confused by this issue. After first mounting a scope on my AR I noticed it was "nose to the charging handle" and check weld on the buffer tube ?!?!? Didn't much care for that so I moved the scope back. Now the sight picture is improved. But the charging handle is not readily accessible. I'll be the first to admit that the scope is not the best and will be replaced. But this seems to be an issue with this design ? Forward mounting the scope means you need one with a ton of eye relief or head position becomes strange. Am I missing something here ?

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All,

I'll profess to being somewhat confused by this issue. After first mounting a scope on my AR I noticed it was "nose to the charging handle" and check weld on the buffer tube ?!?!? Didn't much care for that so I moved the scope back. Now the sight picture is improved. But the charging handle is not readily accessible. I'll be the first to admit that the scope is not the best and will be replaced. But this seems to be an issue with this design ? Forward mounting the scope means you need one with a ton of eye relief or head position becomes strange. Am I missing something here ?

Bill </div></div>

I also notice with my stock that if your nose is touching the charging handle, the cheek weld is on the buffer tube for the most part. Seems very uncomfortable compared to the B&C stock on my SPS.

no personal experience but it is a popular combo.
And you guys must have HUGE noses!!lol