• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ar-15 question

blazinpixels

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Rochester MN
Ive been seeing people here with ar-15 with what it looks like ten inch barrels. can someone point me to the direction where I can purchase a ar or just the barrel? would really like to make my ar or buy one that looks compact like that too.

Re: ar-15 question

Lots of manufacturers make short barrels, but does your State allow for SBRs, short barreled rifles. Its a $200 Federal tax stamp for a SBR if your State allows it.

If you plan on making a SBR, make sure you do it the right/legal way. Send the proper atf paperwork, get it stamped, then build. Or just buy one that's already built, wait for the paperwork, then go pick it up.

whoa didnt know that it had to go through atf paperwork lol.

but they are pretty snazy lookin so will try to git'r done

cant you get a lower and have it classified as a pistol and you can get a short barrel and dont need a stamp?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant you get a lower and have it classified as a pistol and you can get a short barrel and dont need a stamp? </div></div>

Sure, unless you live in some sh**hole state like the Democratic Peoples Republic of Maryland, where AR (and some other) pistols are illegal. SBRs are legal, Class III is legal, but AR pistols aren't; go figure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant you get a lower and have it classified as a pistol and you can get a short barrel and dont need a stamp?</div></div>

Yes, but you cannot add a stock to it because then it becomes a SBR and not a pistol.

Yep, what these guys are all saying is true. Check your local and state laws before considering a build. If your state is GTG then start your paper work.
To avoid the redtape of an SBR the barrel has to be at least 16 inches. Now that includes 16 inch barrels but also a shorter barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device (ie flash hider, suppressor) to make the overall length 16. A 14.5" barrel with standard A2 birdcage pinned and welded makes it legal, any combination barrel and muzzle device will work as long as length is 16 or more.
The problem with getting a permanently attached muzzle device is you will not be able to remove it (easily-without smithing) if you choose to put a 1 piece quad rail/tube on. Also if you want a different gas block/front site base you will have to cut current one off then use a two piece to instal.

the immediate question that smacks me on the arse and then just walks away is this, why?
5.56 is anemic out of a full length rifle and any advantages gained from anything less than legal(16" barrel) length will be negligible when compared with the loss of terminal and exterior ballistics performance. course it may look cool for your mall ninja friends,soo.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the immediate question that smacks me on the arse and then just walks away is this, why?
5.56 is anemic out of a full length rifle and any advantages gained from anything less than legal(16" barrel) length will be negligible when compared with the loss of terminal and exterior ballistics performance. course it may look cool for your mall ninja friends,soo..... </div></div>

why do some guys like a .22 to practice with?
i prefer a .223 cause i dont have access to punch out far enough for a 308 to be useful.

to each his own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the immediate question that smacks me on the arse and then just walks away is this, why?
5.56 is anemic out of a full length rifle and any advantages gained from anything less than legal(16" barrel) length will be negligible when compared with the loss of terminal and exterior ballistics performance. course it may look cool for your mall ninja friends,soo..... </div></div>

Are you spouting opinion, or do you have real data to share?

A 10" vs. a 16" barrel will cause a 2-400 fps loss in velocity. That still puts it at about 2700 fps, which is the same as many .308's. And more than enuf for anything I;d use a 223 for (300 yards and under)

Let's face it - were pretty much all civilians, so looks DO matter.

I find the short barrel upper to be much more manageable with a suppressor.

But please do share whatever data you've got.

very interesting, i was acvtually looking at doing the same but now im gonna research it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... A 14.5" barrel with standard A2 birdcage pinned and welded makes it legal....</div></div>

Not quite - the A2 FH is too short (by ~1/4"). A YHM Phantom (or similar) makes it long enough.

Cheers,

Bill

If you have any questions I can try and help you out I just got done building my 2nd SBR.

well garandman check out www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/terminal.html or do a search of 5.56 terminal ballistics for a wealth of information on the performance of this cartridge, but to sum up what ive found,short barreled ar platforms dont spit fast enuf to fragment much past room clearing distances so why tote one when a freakin weak arse mp5 would stop better down the street and thats just sad?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well garandman check out www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/terminal.html or do a search of 5.56 terminal ballistics for a wealth of information on the performance of this cartridge, but to sum up what ive found,short barreled ar platforms dont spit fast enuf to fragment much past room clearing distances so why tote one when a freakin weak arse mp5 would stop better down the street and thats just sad? </div></div>

so your saying that people shouldn't buy/build a gun they want because of the ballistic properties?

do you think hes going to be using the SBR to punch out to 600+ yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well garandman check out www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/terminal.html or do a search of 5.56 terminal ballistics for a wealth of information on the performance of this cartridge, but to sum up what ive found,short barreled ar platforms dont spit fast enuf to fragment much past room clearing distances so why tote one when a freakin weak arse mp5 would stop better down the street and thats just sad? </div></div>

LOL

That's funny.

Thanx for the laugh.

im sayin build what yall want but was just tryin to throw a information based and practical slant out there that some keep up with the jones's builders might not have thought about. didnt figure it was a 600 yard build but ill be carrying an m-9 or 1911 instead if i want pistol caliber performance and its only for room clearing. just my unwanted 2 copper pence i suppose.

its the way you went about it, pretty rude.

the purpose of a SBR and a 1911 are different.

did not mean to offend just really trying to understand the appeal. im very pragmatic and wondered if my comments may evoke eye opening response. but so far i feel im missing something. perhaps i should simply had asked what is the purpose of an sbr? think if i was gonna shorten a rifle itd be an fal or ak.