• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR-15 Question

Shadowstalker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Tualatin, OR
Hello All,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm having a slight problem with a fairly new Rock River. When I hit the Bolt Release the bolt will not slam all the way home and after I "pry" it open, it will slam shut when I pull the charging handle all the way back. This is a very well maintained rifle with less than a thousand down the pipe. Any Thoughts?
Thanks in Advance

Re: AR-15 Question

Have you completely disassembled your bolt including removal of the extractor to be sure it's clean underneath? Check for burrs on the locking lugs and bolt. Lube to excess and try again. It could be your buffer spring while still new may be under powered. I tend to like the C.S. flat wire springs.

Bent gas tube or gas rings torn up? Gas key tight? Hammer and trigger pins seated? Bolt catch(or pin) broken?

You've disassembled it completely? Pulled the bolt out of the carrier, inspected the cam pin? Gas key screws tight?

Look in the barrel extension and see if a popped primer or other debris worked it's way into the barrel extension. I've seen popped primers get in the cam pin area and jam things up.

Did you do any work to it prior to the problem? Seen gas tubes get installed upside down and drag on the gas key.

Likely cause is a mis-aligned gas tube. Remove the bolt carrier assembly and charging handle - pull the bolt from the carrier. Now take just the carrier and run it in and out of the upper with the tip of your finger. Do you still feel the resistance?