• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR-15 Questions

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I really don't know anything about these types of rifles. I have been trying to decide if I want compact and light or heavy and accurate. I am going to try to get into predator calling when it warms up and I need a rifle that will be accurate but I also would like to have one that is reasonably light. RRA is the brand I want to stay with. As I stated in another post I have been looking at the A4 varmint. But I also like the mid length A4. How much will my accuracy decrease if I decide to get a thin barrel rifle vs the bull barrel varmint? The rifle will be wearing a Nightforce if funds allow.

Re: AR-15 Questions

According to the RRA website, their varmint rifles are good for 3/4 MOA. Most other models with even with M4 profile barrels are rated for 1 MOA and their Pro Series rifles are 1.5 MOA.

I own several AR's in different configurations, but like you I'm wanting one for the sole purpose of varmint/predator hunting. Are you wanting to buy a complete rifle, or put together with the parts you want? If configuring your own, you'll have way more options.

I've lugged around a heavy bolt gun for the past several years to shoot coyotes with and am ready to pack something quite a bit lighter. With that being said the bull barreled Ar's are out for me.

Most people on here will tell you that the accuracy pretty much all comes from the barrel & trigger.

There are several quality barrel manufactures out there. I personally have decided to go with a WOA 18" SPR barrel. I've read countless reviews on the WOA's and they all seem to be very positive. IMO the length, twist rate, & weight will make for an excellent predator gun.

As far as triggers go, there are a lot of options out there as well. I already have a lower with a RRA 2 stage trigger and am very happy with it. I'm sure there are better options, it just depends how much you want to spend.

If i were to buy a complete upper, or rifle, rather than put my own together, I'd probably go with the RRA Coyote Rifle. The complete rifle comes with the 2 stage trigger, free float hand guard,and weighs just a little over 8 pounds. The only downside, for me anyway, is the 1/9/twist rate since I prefer to shoot the heavier bullets (75&77gr). Some 1/9 barrels will stabilize the heavier bullets & some won't, it's just kind of a roll of the dice I suppose.

dude id go heavy barrel chrome lined 14.5 with pinned muzzle a4 and never look back. id go at least 1 in 9 but preferably 1 in 7 so you can play with 77 grainers for distance. dont build a 15 pound ar...you dont need all the gimicky addons or the extra length. its supposed to be light and handy or youd be carrying a benchrest rifle. 2 cents

My RRA Mid-length A4 with HBAR barrel (before they offered lightweight) was good for 1" at 100 yards. I think my twist is a little on the longer side of 1:9" as it shot 52gr. HPBT much better than 69gr. Didn't get around to testing anything else.

I would guess that your accuracy would go from 1MOA to .75MOA with the bull barrel. It's up to you if the weight is worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dude id go heavy barrel chrome lined 14.5 with pinned muzzle a4 and never look back. id go at least 1 in 9 but preferably 1 in 7 so you can play with 77 grainers for distance. dont build a 15 pound ar...you dont need all the gimicky addons or the extra length. its supposed to be light and handy or youd be carrying a benchrest rifle. 2 cents</div></div>

Going with a 14.5" barrel and pinned break is crazy. Better off with a 16" and A2 flash hider. You could get a chrome lined, but I would consider a stainless barrel for a coyote gun.

Look at the Larue predatAR series when they come out even if you don't get one, they are an example to build off of.

go to predatormasters.com and see what everyone is saying about AR's. Lots of folks here have some good suggestions also, but do your homework.

Check out the thread Scott mentions, full of excellent information. Also if you are looking for a very accurate AR, the same Scott above makes some very accurate rifles although he fails to mention that, but I will.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I am going short and light. I am going with the Nightforce 2.5-10 scope. The rifle will most likely be a RRA mid-length A4. Is this rifle a good choice?

Good choice, 243V. It is the first shot that counts with a hunting rifle. You do not need a heavy barreled AR for a coyote rifle where you will only get a shot or two, plus a lighter weight is easier to hold in more awkward field positions, e.g. target showed up exactly where you were hoping it would not.

one varmint upper I like that is extremely accurate is the
Rock River 20" predator model--has their Nat'l match bbl
not as heavy as bull barreled varmint models and every bit as accurate--good for p-dogs also

I put them togther for guys.

Me personaly I like the 24" stainless varmint. Not quiet bull barrel, but a tack driver.

On my varmint ar rifle consists of the 24" sabre defense fluted stainless W/ break ( mostly for looks )
RRA a4 flattop
RRA chromed bolt carrier group
dpms rifle length free float tube
S&W lower W/ jewell triger set at 2 lbs
mag pul PRS stock
It is one sweet shooting rifle. I would like to build another like it in a 243, or a 308

Once I get the barrel back from my smith, I will post some pictures, and of some others I have built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSL1078</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dude id go heavy barrel chrome lined 14.5 with pinned muzzle a4 and never look back. id go at least 1 in 9 but preferably 1 in 7 so you can play with 77 grainers for distance. dont build a 15 pound ar...you dont need all the gimicky addons or the extra length. its supposed to be light and handy or youd be carrying a benchrest rifle. 2 cents</div></div>

Going with a 14.5" barrel and pinned break is crazy. Better off with a 16" and A2 flash hider. You could get a chrome lined, but I would consider a stainless barrel for a coyote gun. </div></div>

because that extra 1.5" of rifling makes the boolits hurt more? my preference was made with the intent of providing huge barrel stiffness with a minimum of excessive weight. but to each his own i spose...not the first time i been called crazy for rockin the boat of convention.

243Varmintr I am in the same boat as you. This would be my first AR and have decided on the RRA brand but am on the fence in regards to which model.I have been looking at the OPerator2 tactical and the ATH....I am looking at getting the Operator 2 tactical like I said...it is on sale right now for $1000 + free shipping. then I will use the $285 that I would have paid for the ATH and buy an ATH UPPER and have the best of both worlds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put them togther for guys.

Me personaly I like the 24" stainless varmint. Not quiet bull barrel, but a tack driver.

On my varmint ar rifle consists of the 24" sabre defense fluted stainless W/ break ( mostly for looks )
RRA a4 flattop
RRA chromed bolt carrier group
dpms rifle length free float tube
S&W lower W/ jewell triger set at 2 lbs
mag pul PRS stock
It is one sweet shooting rifle. I would like to build another like it in a 243, or a 308

Once I get the barrel back from my smith, I will post some pictures, and of some others I have built. </div></div>

Where are the pictures? Sounds like exactly what I want.