• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing ar 15 trigger ?s

Inspector Gadget

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2006
Jet City
Have a Bushmaster AR. Trigger is caca. Anything I can do myself to make it smoother? Best left to a smith? Or am I looking at a new Timney/Jewell/etc? Not looking for match grade performance, just trying to put the fear of God into cans and bottles out to a hundred yards or so.

Re: ar 15 trigger ?s

Bill Springfield--send him your fire control and he will take care of it for you professionaly---least expensive way or

buy a Giessele trigger

+1 for (partial) 15 minute trigger job.

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

Read it to get the general idea. All you are really doing is polishing the engagement surfaces to smooth things out, which does just that. You are not trying to remove any metal depth. And it will make the pull feel a little bit lighter, since it is smoother. I have never bothered to trim the springs to try and really get a lighter pull, as I am concerned about reliability.

So I start out by popping the ceramic rod out of a "V" type knife sharpener for initial polishing use/work. A after running the hard ceramic over all the surfaces for the initial polish, put things back together with a dab of valve lapping compound and cycle the trigger a bunch, reapplying the compound to the engaged surfaces every 10 cycles or so....

I had a gunsmith put a PRS stock and a Giessle non adjustable trigger on my AR 15 and the difference is incredible

You can't really go wrong with a Giessle trigger. They have several different models, so you have to figure out what you are looking for..

Thanks for the help. Gonna go the do-it-myself route and try the polishing. A Geissele is not in the budget for this unit at this time.