• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR-15 upper

bruceknoch

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
Please excuse my ignorance in this matter, but that's why I joined this sight. Other than where the pins would hold it to the lower, is there any reason that an AR-15 upper could not be modified to fit a Sig 556 lower? All of the action resides within the upper, so I'm not sure what the issue would be.

Thanks for the info and I appreciate any and all jokes at my expense as well.

Re: AR-15 upper

Wow. I'll have to agree with the Punisher on this one and wonder why. Have you even looked at the two rifles? Could you possibly mean the Sig 516???

For one thing, you state that all the action resides in the upper. This is not the case on...pretty much every rifle of the AR platform (with the exception of a few models). The buffer components are all contained in the buttstock which is part of the AR's lower assembly. The 556's lower assembly contains none of the components necessary to buffer the AR uppers BCG during cycling. So, NO. It wont work. The amount of modification required to both the 556 lower and the AR upper would be a ridiculous waste of time.

It would benefit you to do a little research on both of these rifles and their functioning before you post questions like this on here. Prove that you have done your part to find the answer yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds like a job for red jacket........... </div></div>

Heaven help us all!!

To your question though...a standard AR-15 upper will work on the Sig 516 (it is truly an AR-based platform), but an AR-15 upper will NOT work on a Sig 556...not even remotely close to working as a drop in (and there is no practical way to modify it to work either)!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds like a job for red jacket........... </div></div>

Just be sure that you get that same Chinese green laser that that awesome super secret squirrel contractor got!

What do you mean by "Prove that you have done your part to find the answer yourself"?

Am I proving it to you? Obviously when looking for an answer, you go to the best source first, not the other way around. You gave me an answer in 2 minutes that would have taken me a week to find as I am brand new to this. If answering this basic question that is posted on a forum that is in existence for the very reason of sharing one's knowledge with another is such a burden to you, then don't press the reply button and don't type an answer.

Just because you know this answer doesn't mean that you should assume your position of arrogance. You probably just got lucky and happened to know the answer.

Drop the attitude, Your Highness.

I would recommend you call the manufacturers on questions like this. There's a lot of good knowledge on this site, but also a lot of people that love to pounce on questions like this just for the hell of it.

But seriously, your question is like asking if you can breed a shih-tzu with an ostrich. I would talk to someone in that particular field for straight answers (maybe with a slight chuckle) before I toss it out there for all to see. And I'm only giving this advice because I've also learned this the hard way. Just sayin'

here.....let me connect you to someone with a red jacket, his name is santa clause ........right after you complete you profile....

Not the best idea. The Sig is a gas piston weapon, an AR is a direct impingement gas system. The parts are not interchangeable or compatible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50-140</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not the best idea. The Sig is a gas piston weapon, an AR is a direct impingement gas system. The parts are not interchangeable or compatible.
</div></div>

So you can't use a piston AR upper on an AR lower?

To the OP you asked this same question in your post titled Sig 556 Upper in March - didn't trust the responses you got?

CNC, exactly what are you reading? It's one thing to call me out, but try to read the entire post. I did ask if an AR-15 upper would fit in the previous post that I made about buying a Sig 556 upper, but if you would actually read the entire post, I asked in this current post if the upper could be modified to make it fit.

Reading is fundamental, CNC.

You guys are a lot of fun when it comes to asking a question. A couple of the responses were great and exactly what I needed to know. You other clowns act like reading and responding to these posts is your job and I'm consuming critical resources when you reply. I'm sure that everyone on this forum knows more than I do about AR-15s, but in the end, how critical is that? I hold advanced degrees in Neurobiology, yet I guarantee that if CNC were to ask me why his brain would not allow him to read an entire post, I wouldn't be a prick answering his question. That's because I realize that just because I have knowledge of one topic does not make me superior to the person asking the question. It only means that for the brief moment before I share the answer with CNC, I know one thing that he doesn't know. But I'll be more than happy to share everything I know with him, however limited that might be.

So I will now publicly apologize to you guys who are sitting in your robes in front of the computer in your Mom's basement for wasting your time with my ridiculous question. Believe me, I have learned more from this single post concerning the character of the people who troll these forums than I ever thought possible. Again, I apologize for wasting your time.

Ogre - you are clearly a dumb fuck. You should call Blauck_Ump. You two would get along great.

I think you should stick your Sig up your ass, pull the trigger, and make the world a better place.

I don't think so. Want me to tell you why you are imagining a man placing a weapon in his anus?

You probably already know the answer.

I'm going to calm down for a second and try and answer the question, you clearly need someone to do your thinking for you.

In March you asked if you can put an AR upper on a Sig 556 lower. Nope. Doesn't work.

Now you ask if you can modify an AR upper to go on a 556 lower. Yep. For enough money you can do it.

So the third question you have not asked yet is if it is practical to modify an AR upper to fit a 556 lower. No, it isn't.

Anymore stupid questions? Now go eat shit and die.

"doing your part" seemed to offend you. It merely meant to do a little research first. Using the search function or the custom google search you can find out if anyone already thoght of it. Nothing is more annoying than a question that beats a dead horse. If your thinking of some sort of hybrid, you may want to explain why you want a specific set-up. Someone may have an alternative solution to fix a problem or issue you are having. Having a profile also helps. There is as you say a wealth of knowlege on this site and that is true. If you filled more of your profile we would know that you are not the one in a bath robe in a mom's basement. Just some points to ponder.

Rant finished

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OgreOgre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CNC, exactly what are you reading? It's one thing to call me out, but try to read the entire post. I did ask if an AR-15 upper would fit in the previous post that I made about buying a Sig 556 upper, but if you would actually read the entire post, I asked in this current post if the upper could be modified to make it fit.

Reading is fundamental, CNC.

You guys are a lot of fun when it comes to asking a question. A couple of the responses were great and exactly what I needed to know. You other clowns act like reading and responding to these posts is your job and I'm consuming critical resources when you reply. I'm sure that everyone on this forum knows more than I do about AR-15s, but in the end, how critical is that? I hold advanced degrees in Neurobiology, yet I guarantee that if CNC were to ask me why his brain would not allow him to read an entire post, I wouldn't be a prick answering his question. That's because I realize that just because I have knowledge of one topic does not make me superior to the person asking the question. It only means that for the brief moment before I share the answer with CNC, I know one thing that he doesn't know. But I'll be more than happy to share everything I know with him, however limited that might be.

So I will now publicly apologize to you guys who are sitting in your robes in front of the computer in your Mom's basement for wasting your time with my ridiculous question. Believe me, I have learned more from this single post concerning the character of the people who troll these forums than I ever thought possible. Again, I apologize for wasting your time. </div></div>

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln