• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 uppers for accuracy, but not Compass Lake.

ChuckSwagger

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Long story short.
I had ordered a complete upper from Compass Lake in April, I don't know why but the order failed (some credit card problem) and I replaced it right after in May, my credit card was charged normally.
They gave me 10-12 weeks to be ready to ship.
Well, 13 weeks after I called them and asked about my order.
They told me they run out blanks and set me another 12-14 weeks waiting time from now to send me the upper.

So I am canceling my order and the question is:
Which manufacturer make uppers with the same level of accuracy as they do?

I need a complete upper, they sell barrels only by their web page.

Craddock does both, what is it exactly that you're looking for because I can tell you right now build time for a complete upper from Craddock it's probably close to 9 months if he doesn't have the barrel inhand now.

Reactions: simonp
I spoke with CLE today since I ordered around the same time as you - late march. I wanted to verify a few things about my build and check on progress. I spoke with Paul. He pulled the parts I sent and addressed all of my questions. We made a few slight changes while on the phone that will ultimately improve the upper.

He confirmed they’re waiting on blanks from Bartlein and Krieger. I’m fine with waiting since many around here hold them in such high regard. I believe it’ll be well worth the wait.

What if I have a cut rifle barrel blank and want a smith to turn it into a gas gun barrel? What smiths/manufacturers would do this? Wouldn't that solve the lead time on CLE/Craddock? I assume they're just waiting 6 months out for good blanks, right?

Craddock does both, what is it exactly that you're looking for because I can tell you right now build time for a complete upper from Craddock it's probably close to 9 months if he doesn't have the barrel inhand now.
^^^^^^^^^This.

But he usually has Rock Creek button rifled barrels on hand & unless you just have to have a Bartlien or a Kreiger, they will do about the same as Douglas...............& Paul Craddock is a peach to work with. You can always ask about Rock Creek cut rifled barrels...............they are more than good for most purposes.

You can also get a very good upper from White Oak fairly quick & they are very good.

Or get one from Big Jake.................all his stuff posted here seem pretty impressive; I wouldn't be skeered, but I usually build my own.

MM

Reactions: drewthebrave
This is good to know. It seems like most smiths can turn a barrel out within a week if they have the barrel in hand. Back in 2021 I had ordered a rifle from GAP and it had a six month lead time due solely to backorders with Bartlein.

I cant wait too long and there is no guarantee it will be in my hands even in 14 weeks.
They should have told me it earlier, not after 13 weeks just after i called them.

I am ordering a Daniel Defense ready to ship upper.
I should have had learned it before when I got fucked by another gunsmith some time ago.

Thanks everyone!

They should have told me it earlier, not after 13 weeks just after i called them.
[...]
I should have had learned it before when I got fucked by another gunsmith some time ago.
This isn't really getting f$*#@ed by a gunsmith. That's pretty standard if you want a Bartlein, Proof, or Krieger.

Wait time is in the checkout page:

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 3.40.04 PM.png

If precision is the goal, I'd just wait a few more weeks for the CLE. DD's a pretty standard barrel, but I mean, if you're pressed for time, just get a Ballistic Advantage for $185 and throw it in a good upper receiver and handguard until your CLE is ready, and sell the BA or keep it as a backup.

Reactions: camocorvette
This isn't really getting f$*#@ed by a gunsmith. That's pretty standard if you want a Bartlein, Proof, or Krieger.

Wait time is in the checkout page:

View attachment 8200815

If precision is the goal, I'd just wait a few more weeks for the CLE. DD's a pretty standard barrel, but I mean, if you're pressed for time, just get a Ballistic Advantage for $185 and throw it in a good upper receiver and handguard until your CLE is ready, and sell the BA or keep it as a backup.
Have you read my post?
I ordered it in may and I was promissed in 12 weeks, I waited patiently for13 weeks.
So I called then They told me 14 weeks more.
They could have told me it before instead I need to call them.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MarshallDodge
dtech makes some very good uppers but i think all they use is shilen or select match shilen barrels so no cut rifled barrels but i don’t think that matters a great deal.

Reactions: Westcoast308
Have you read my post?
I ordered it in may and I was promissed in 12 weeks, I waited patiently for13 weeks.
So I called then They told me 14 weeks more.
They could have told me it before instead I need to call them.

I do not live in USA and I need to fly to get the piece and it is already booked, so my travel, documents and authorization are now lost Mr. Smart.

Best!
Sounds like an ITAR violation to me since you decided to get sandy

Reactions: camocorvette
I cant wait too long and there is no guarantee it will be in my hands even in 14 weeks.

Thanks everyone!
You’re are going to be disappointed if precision is your goal. Also White Oak Armament is just as good with the same reputation as CLE.
lija makes a great upper as well https://riflebarrels.com/

I have two Rock River Varmint LAR-15 rifles with the heavy SS barrels. I am a benchrest shooter of many decades and have been absolutely stunned at the precision capability's of these two rifles, WITH TUNED HANDLOADS. In all the ranges I have been to I have only seen one other AR that approached that level of precision, and it was another RRA SS Varmint. BTW - Krieger gave me a lead time of one year on a pre-chambered .224Valkyrie barrel and shipped it on day 364 . . . and I am currently about 3 months into an given lead time of 8 months for an ordered Shilen Select Match. My buddy finally had his Vudoo returned from the shop when he got tired of month after month "one month" promises in the wait for a Bartlein. Lead times on high quality barrels are long.

None of them do. You pick two of the options. Cheap and fast isn't good. Fast and good isn't cheap.

Sucks you can't buy ar15 stuff in Brazil anymore. I really wouldn't post all the information you do online.

Reactions: ChuckSwagger
I had a Bartlein 5r gain twist barrel from White Oak. It was available back then from their website. It is one of the most amazing barrels I've ever handled. I put it on a JP upper using thermal fit. The barrel is quickly done with break-in and settled with a load that shoots just over 0.5 MOA 5-shot groups and <10 FPS SD using 23.7 gr varget + 77 smk. I brought it to 600 yards range this Sunday and shot it in the rain, all I can say is I'm beyond satisfied and impressed

Reactions: Westcoast308

Thanks everyone!
For a complete precision rig go JP Enterprises. I’ve shot a AR-10 of theirs a lot and it shoots 1/2” to 5/8” 5-shot 100yrd groups consistently with Gold Metal Match.

What if I have a cut rifle barrel blank and want a smith to turn it into a gas gun barrel? What smiths/manufacturers would do this? Wouldn't that solve the lead time on CLE/Craddock? I assume they're just waiting 6 months out for good blanks, right?
Compass Lake will take a blank I’ve sent them parts to finish an upper. But you’re definitely not saving money because you get a pretty good price getting the barrel straight from White Oak or Compass Lake. If you’re in a hurry for a blank check Bruno’s shooting supply he has a lot of Kriegers. Recently I saw a bunch of Bartlein barrels in stock on the Grizzly machine website while looking at a gunsmith lathe.

Last edited: