• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 vs FAL

onemanmafia99

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2011
So i have final saved up enough money to get a new gun
smile.gif
but i torn on which one i want to get. I currently have a PTR 91 and an AK 47, but ive wanted both an ar 15 and a FAL for a while. This gun will be mostly for plinking but it may serve some other purposes like small game hunting or home defense.. but mostly just going out and having a good time shooting.

I like the AR because they are accurate and the ammo is relatively cheap so i can shoot more and work on my accuracy, because i need to work on that. But i dont like the reliability problems that some people have talked about.

I like the FAL because... well, it the "right arm of the free world" and i really want to try it out. i also feel like it would be a little cooler of a buy because i dont see them around much but i see a lot of ARs. I have also wanted to try and get my hands on one to compare it to my PTR. The only reason i dont like it is because of the ammo cost really... and i already have a 308 thats expensive enough to feed.

I dont shoot much past 200 yards either.

I think an AR 15 will run me about 1000, and an FAL is 1100 so price of the gun isnt really a factor since they arent that much different.

Im also very concerned about gun grabbers, i think an AR 15 would be much easier to find than an FAL if i didnt get the money for another before re-election time.

Thanks, Matt

Re: AR 15 vs FAL

Definitely an AR 15. For the modularity, price of ammo, range you are shooting, I think it is an easy choice. You have an Ak, I would wait on the FAL.

the AR15 is the most versatile firearm you can buy. Much more ergonomic than the FAL, and cheaper to shoot.

If you want a shooter, get an AR, if you are more of a collector, get a nice FAL

You'll be taken more seriously if you edit out the garbage about the bump fire stock.

I prefer the FAL's over the AR. I'm betting that it would quickly grow on you. Much better construction over the PTR.

Get a FAL and then piece together the parts to build your own AR. While they are fun, the cartridge leaves something to be desired in the energy dept.

If you'd like more info, just send me a PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'll be taken more seriously if you edit out the garbage about the bump fire stock. </div></div>
and the bit about reliability

AR's are reliable when properly lubed and feed decent ammo from good magazines.

Even if you do have an issue, you can easily change out any parts yourself with the right tools.

Oneman, based on the tone of your post, I can almost guarantee that I have carried an AR-style weapon in more adverse conditions than you have. I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to tell you that I have some experience in this area, like many others around here do. I never had a problem with it, nor did anyone that I know. These reliability issues that you speak of are internet rumors, repeated over & over again by people who have even less experience than you do.

Do not let the reliability of the AR platform be the deciding factor in your choice here. If you want a FAL, buy one, but a good AR will run right along side it for as long as you want it to.

You probably have a lot more experience than me with an AR so ill take your word for it. There's nothing really deterring me from getting one or the other... thats the problem, i want them both but can only have one. I'm probably going to go to a gun show in the next couple weeks.. if i find either of them for cheap ill just which ever costs less probably.

Hmm, so you want both? Well, there's really only one logical thing to do then... You know what it is.

It is with strong conviction that I would take an AR15. There is a significant of cool factor, which may matter to you. And a buttload of practicality. Plus, it's a terrible addiction.

Actually, after saying that, you should get the FAL first because when you contract black rifle disease it is hard to get anything else.

Oh trust me, in time i will have both
smile.gif
but for right now i think im going to have to settle with one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemanmafia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You probably have a lot more experience than me with an AR so ill take your word for it. There's nothing really deterring me from getting one or the other... thats the problem, i want them both but can only have one. I'm probably going to go to a gun show in the next couple weeks.. if i find either of them for cheap ill just which ever costs less probably. </div></div>

If you can only afford one, then the AR would make more sense. A <span style="font-weight: bold">quality</span> FAL costs more than a quality AR and will cost a LOT less to feed. A crap FAL will be as reliable as a crap AR, I have had my experience with that. The FAL does not have the loose tolerances that the AK has, you cannot get away with the level of slop and stacking you can on the AK.

I would get a DSA for a FAL and a BCM for an AR. The others on my AR good-to-go list are: DD, LMT, and Colt. I am not saying that Bushmaster, RRA, and Stag or any other not listed are crap, but it's just preference. PSA also seems to be putting out a good kit for great money.

i prefer the ar 15 ammo is cheaper and it feels way better in my hands i had a fal i too had wanted one i didnt like it and it cost way more to shoot id get a good ar-15

The FAL im looking at is made by DSA (new), im not screwing around with CAI guns.. my AK is made by them and it has some problems. I dont know what the exact model of the FAL is, but the salesman who i like to buy from recommended it over an AR 10. If i bought an AR 15 id probably go with RRA, Smith and Wesson, or maybe a colt if i found a good deal on one, simply because those are the brands my gun shop mostly carries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemanmafia</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I dont know what the exact model of the FAL is, but the salesman who i like to buy from recommended it over an AR 10.</div></div>

For a battle worthy rifle that is going to hell and back, maybe. Accuracywise the FAL doesn't hold a candle to a quality AR-10.

The AR "reliability" issues that people talk about are largely operator induced. The AR is an extremely versatile platform that you will be able to do a great deal with. The fact that ammunition is cheaper is just icing on the cake.

I have an early AW serial number PTR-91 that eats anything and is surprisingly accurate, years ago I owned a HK-91. I also own a DSA FAL built on an Austrian STG-58 kit. Both are very reliable. Of the two I'd take the FAL any day.

If you're worried about gun grabbing come next January but are short on cash you could always buy one of the rifles now and put away for safekeeping an AR stripped lower or a quality (DSA, Imbel, Coonan Arms) FAL upper. Add the rest of the parts as funds allow. Either way, buy both!

I would do that, but im only 18 so i cant get myself any lowers. (no one in my immediate family is going to buy me one.) Id love to buy just an ar lower but unfortunately i have to buy the whole gun.

I feel like it would be a lot a lot easier to find a good deal on an ar, at any given time, than a FAL so that is kind of pushing me to get the FAL while i have the money.

Could i buy an AR in 22 and swap out the upper for a 223 when i want to? Or are the lowers different on a 22?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ummmm

What makes you think you can buy a rifle but not an AR lower????????? </div></div>

New (as in a couple years ago) law changed the age to buy stripped lowers from 18 to 21.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a FAL in .223
http://www.redrockarms.com/atr.html

The FAL was not originally designed for the 7.62x51, it works and works fairly well, but barely contains the cartridge.
The design easily handles the .223. </div></div>

ah, nothing like all of the cons of the FAL platform (lack of versatility, weight, ergonomics) with non of the pros (battle rifle cartridge, reliability, and parts availability....

yeah, i dont think im going to spend 1400 on a a 223 FAL when i can get a 308 FAL for 1100. Thanks for the suggestions man, but if i get something in 223 its going to be an AR

Matt,

Choosing between an AR15 and a FAL is like choosing between an apple and an orange. Albeit, both are fantastic rifles, but they are as different as night and day. The AR is a light and very versatile weapon. The FAL is heavier and not very versatile. The AR is cheaper to shoot. The 7.62x51 ammo for the FAL can set you back a few bucks unless you can score some good surplus ammo. You mentioned that you own a PTR-91. The difference between shooting it and the FAL is quite noticeable. The FAL is much smoother to shoot. The FAL is a fantastic battle rifle. Good luck on your decision.

FALS
DSA MedCon
DSC00849.jpg

G1
DSC00431.jpg

IMBEL
DSC00434.jpg

Lithgow L1A1
DSC00456.jpg

My ARs
001-28.jpg

plus this latest build
002.jpg

Holy shit dude you got a lot of guns.. I am VERY jealous haha. I plan on getting both at some point but im just not sure which to get first. Ive heard so many good things about both that it is really hard to pick. Although i agree that they are very different rifles... i think it is similar to the guns i already have. I thought the AK and PTR would not be that much different, i was very wrong...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemanmafia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit dude you got a lot of guns.. I am VERY jealous haha. I plan on getting both at some point but im just not sure which to get first. Ive heard so many good things about both that it is really hard to pick. Although i agree that they are very different rifles... i think it is similar to the guns i already have. I thought the AK and PTR would not be that much different, i was very wrong... </div></div>

The PTR-91 does shake things up a little bit. The roller-action can be rough on ammo too.

yea man, i love my PTR. Its pretty big and bulky but i dont mind cause it goes bang every time. That is most important to me. I have the GI edition, PTR changed the flutes so it can take any surplus ammo. It eats anything
smile.gif
I got the port buffer to help with banging up brass and it does make a little difference. what do you think of yours?

Since you already have a PTR-91, I would suggest getting the AR, the FAL is a nice gun, but it is really not going to be that much different than your PTR-91 as far as your gun collection goes.

I would say get the AR 15 and you'll be happy you did. The FAL like the PTR-91 is a heavy beastly gun from the 50s, 60s and 70s era and both are built like tanks and weigh a lot too. You might as well try something different like a nice short light AR that is easy to carry and cheaper to feed and then later on worry about something else.

The FAL is a good gun, but you might as well get something in a different vein than more of the same type of gun idea as your existing PTR-91

thats a good point, my friend told me that too and it makes more sense as time goes on. I shot a guys AR and i really liked it except i could feel the heat and sh*t hitting me in the face from the receiver which was a real turn off for me. I like the FAL a lot because it is built like a tank like the PTR but people say it has much better ergos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemanmafia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot a guys AR and i really liked it except i could feel the heat and sh*t hitting me in the face from the receiver which was a real turn off for me.</div></div>

So build a PRI Gasbuster CH into your spec?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemanmafia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea man, i love my PTR. Its pretty big and bulky but i dont mind cause it goes bang every time. That is most important to me. I have the GI edition, PTR changed the flutes so it can take any surplus ammo. It eats anything
smile.gif
I got the port buffer to help with banging up brass and it does make a little difference. what do you think of yours? </div></div>

I like it. I have had it for over 7 years now.

Go with the AR first, lighter and easier on the wallet to feed, save your money and get the FAL in 6 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemanmafia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">small game hunting or home defense.. but mostly just going out and having a good time shooting.</div></div>

Either one will work here....if by small game you mean varmits/coyotes. Although I know someone who has taken deer with a .22LR....shoots for the eye....

Also, mounting a scope on a FAL is still not going to give you sub-moa accuracy. I'm not sure if it will return to zero every time because of the way the upper/lower fits together and your limited mounting options. I could be wrong on this, but from what I remember FAL's are more of an iron sight weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemanmafia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I like the AR because they are accurate and the ammo is relatively cheap so i can shoot more and work on my accuracy, because i need to work on that. But i dont like the reliability problems that some people have talked about.</div></div>

What reliability problems? Probably not with a BCM/DD level quality and up, or even a Stag/Spike's level and up. Keep it lubed and use PMAG's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemanmafia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I like the FAL because... well, it the "right arm of the free world" and i really want to try it out. i also feel like it would be a little cooler of a buy because i dont see them around much but i see a lot of ARs. I have also wanted to try and get my hands on one to compare it to my PTR. The only reason i dont like it is because of the ammo cost really... and i already have a 308 thats expensive enough to feed.</div></div>

I've found ammo at gun shows as low as $.50/rd. That was 7.62 nato, brass, sealed primers, 200 rds. sealed in plastic in 20rd boxes. Magtech .308 win. I've found for $20/50rds. And that's not including cheap ruskie junk.....

Im also very concerned about gun grabbers, i think an AR 15 would be much easier to find than an FAL if i didnt get the money for another before re-election time.

Thanks, Matt </div></div>

If that's your thinking process, buy an AR now!! Remember before/after the election....CMMG's for $1300!!!! Get a BCM/Daniel Defense now for that kind of money.

Both are great weapons, good luck with your choice!

Don't forget the FAL is a piston driven gun with an adjustable gas system. Very easy to find spare parts, you can even find modular updates fairly easily. It will run much cleaner than an AR. It has a much shorter parts list than an AR also (less to break).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eternal24k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the AR15 is the most versatile firearm you can buy. Much more ergonomic than the FAL, and cheaper to shoot.

If you want a shooter, get an AR, if you are more of a collector, get a nice FAL </div></div>

Get an FAL in 223 - best of all worlds.

AR should be #1 on anyone's list for a first rifle.

A properly built FAL is pretty awesome, but then again, any gun properly built is pretty awesome. The big downside of the FAL is they are not really modular like an AR. Can't as easily tinker and smith an FAL like an AR. After market enhanced trigger availability alone is why you should consider an AR over any other rifle.

I do love my FAL's though!

Top: The Cartmann T58 Mod-53 Rod Martin
(Began life as an Imbel Build with Enterprise Receiver)

Bottom:
The Cartmann T58 Mod-55 Matt Millen
(Began Life as a DSA SA58 Para)

IMG_1260-vi.jpg

FAL's trump AR's all day long, get your FAL first then get an AR, those little ones are made here, in country, and there are millions of them and more built everyday. FAL's not so much and since you already have an AK the AR can wait a bit.
Hope this helps.

PS: Or sell that self distructing PTR and get a nice AR.

If you're riding, take the FAL.

If you're walking, take the AR.

Or, buy one of the 5 or 6 really good .308 AR's out there now.

Can't believe anyone hasn't suggested selling the AK and buy the AR and the FAL.

Oh forgot to add I hate you TackleberryH3.
smile.gif
Would you adopt me?