• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-30 in .338 LM any good?

Send_it_priority_mail

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
kandahar, afghanistan
hey all, im new to the forum and want to thank you all for having me here and reading this. Im seving in afghanistan right now and looking to buy a new rifle when i get back. something good for targets out to 1500m and with enough umph to take down just about any north american game animal out to about 500m. im very familiar with the M24 and M110. hate the M110 by the way. i can consistantly hit targets out to 1000m with the M24, cold bore it just lacks the umph im looking for for large game at long range. ive been looking into the .338 LM as it offers almost exactly what i am looking for. the issue im having is i want something decent "out of the box". dont want to spend more than $2500 on the rifle. optics will be another matter. any advice as far as rifles/optics or personal opinions about rifles you have fired in .338 LM would be helpfull. also if you can suggest a different round that fit my needs, by all means let me know. thanks in advance for the help.

Re: AR-30 in .338 LM any good?

AR30 is fine, but Euro Optic is currently dumping TRG-42's in 338LM for $2250. That is the route I'd take.

Big +1 on the Sako. I don't think you 'll find as good an "out of the box" rifle as it. And the price is amazingly good at $2250. Bought mine several years ago for $3k and don't regret it a bit.

Yeah, I have to agree on the Sako, for what you spend you get the most bang for your buck....Thank you for your service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inbox_smashed650</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any one know of he top of the head what the BC is for that rilfe or velocity or kenetic energy at around 500m is for that sako trg-42?
</div></div>

TRG42 BC is somewhere around 10.

Velocity will be upwards of 2. Possibly even 3 if you get a good one.

"kenetic" energy at 500 yards hovers around a million. Maybe a million and a half.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YNCdUfKv5lo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YNCdUfKv5lo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have a AR-30 in 338LM and it is a very good shooting rifle. It is not without its problems. Here is a pic of what I did to my stock.

338_stock_desc.jpg

Personally I would go the other way with the Sako rifle. The more I deal with Armalite I more I want to stay away from them.