• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR .308 Question?

Dmaxtay

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I have a DPMS ar10 Ap4. First off what I am looking to do with this rifle is long range shooting and some hunting but mostly target shooting...I will have to make a ton of mods to make this rifle do what I want and make it "mine." Like new stock (PRS), New hand guard (Troy battle rail), Gas block to replace front sight, 20' bull barrel (threaded for a can, eventually) Etc...

So do you guys think it would be smarter to just sell my gun and buy one with everything already on it like a GAP or another brand...Dont really want to spend a fortune but also want to have this rifle for the rest of my life...What do you guys think I should do?

Also can you guys lead me a good direction for quality guns for the price? Thanks!

For the price, DPMS certainly isn't bad at all.

But it almost sounds like you should have something with a longer, heavier barrel. Or at least that you want one. It might be easier to start with something with a 20"-24" bull barrel and an A2 stock, then throw on a PRS, if you certainly want that, then decide on a handguard with rail that you like.

There was a thread in the semi-auto section where people were putting up photo's and data from a 100 yard challenge. There were a number of 308's in there. Interesting combo's...might be worth searching for and helping with your decisions.

If an "as manufactured" barrel from a company isn't going to suit what you want "forever" then maybe stripping off what you won't need from this one and replacing it might be just fine. You could sell off items you really don't want...or save them for other builds...or save them to put back on this one if you decide to go a totally different route with something like a GAP, etc. This could be your gateway drug...errr, rifle. :D

308 AR's do seem to do a little better with an adjustable gas block too. Many say that they are over gassed, and I have a gas block on both of my 308 chassis...and I admit that I like that adjustability.

Ill have to check out that thread! Thanks for the input. I might just start with a new gun thats closer to what I want so I can save time and money on making this one what I want...

When you're talking about having a different barrel and adjustable gas block I'd at least start out with a completely different upper. The thing about 308s is that they don't all fit different lowers. I think POF uppers will fit on top of a DPMS but check to make sure. If that was the case, consider a GAP-10 upper to go on top of your lower. Have it built right the first time.

I would keep that one and work on it, it Seems like nice AR10 types go for about $3200+ these days. And even then at that price, they do not come with nice Gissele triggers. If you are willing to pump $1300 into it, you can have a dam nice custom rifle that will probably shoot even better than those factory $3200 rifle.

All Price are current Market Value
- Gissele SSA-E: $210
- PRS Stock: $240
- Rainer Arms Ultra Match Barrel: $400
- Rails of choice: $300
- low pro gas block: $50
- Gas Tube: $15
- Tools to put Barrel on (wrench and vice block): $90

I would keep that one and work on it, it Seems like nice AR10 types go for about $3200+ these days. And even then at that price, they do not come with nice Gissele triggers. If you are willing to pump $1300 into it, you can have a dam nice custom rifle that will probably shoot even better than those factory $3200 rifle.

Right on. Maybe spring for a nice muzzle device too +$150.

For a precision rifle, you can't beat the Primary Weapons PRC. Many will argue for the battle comp, fat bastard, or something else but the fact of the matter is the PRC is designed for a precision rifle and to reduce ground signature when firing from the prone position.

The aforementioned compensators and/or muzzle brakes will work as advertised but because they aren't designed for use on a precision rifle but for more of a cqb scenario, they will spray shit all over the place when firing from a bench or prone.

For a precision rifle, you can't beat the Primary Weapons PRC. Many will argue for the battle comp, fat bastard, or something else but the fact of the matter is the PRC is designed for a precision rifle and to reduce ground signature when firing from the prone position.

The aforementioned compensators and/or muzzle brakes will work as advertised but because they aren't designed for use on a precision rifle but for more of a cqb scenario, they will spray shit all over the place when firing from a bench or prone.

Sounds like you are reading off the Marketing Brochure. What makes your comps/brakes precision? To prevent dirt from kicking up, you just need to make sure the brake is timed correctly, that the holes of the brake are facing outwards and up, and there are no holes on the bottom. Here is one from YHM that works dam good. I have the Silencer Mount version, but it works great as a comp when silencer is not attached. Market Value for this thing is only $60 7.62 Muzzle Brake (.308) [YHM-3080-MA] - $68.00 : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

Sounds like you are reading off the Marketing Brochure. What makes your comps/brakes precision? To prevent dirt from kicking up, you just need to make sure the brake is timed correctly, that the holes of the brake are facing outwards and up, and there are no holes on the bottom. Here is one from YHM that works dam good. I have the Silencer Mount version, but it works great as a comp when silencer is not attached. Market Value for this thing is only $60 7.62 Muzzle Brake (.308) [YHM-3080-MA] - $68.00 : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

Use one and find out. I've been using mine for over a year with excellent results. I can't speak for YHM.

What type of target shooting are you talking about? How accurate is the current barrel? If your just shooting steel at distance and can find ammo that is around 1 MOA. Upgrade what you have.
Here's my setup:
Bushmaster 308 ORC $799
Troy Ind's FF $200
Magpul PRS Stock $100
Giselle SSA-E $186
Syrac Adjustable Gas Block &105
Fulton Armory Extractor Upgrade $7
We shoot this rifle out 1000 meters on steel plates every weekend. It's more accurate than my Sig 716 and a lot lighter.

Last edited:

This is basically what I did.

- SSA-E $175
- PRS *$200 if you know where to look
- Lothar Walther SASS 20" Barrel ($500)
- PRI AR 10 15" rail $350
- PRI Low-pro AGB $75
- Gas tube $25
- Gunsmith threw the barrel on for me - $100
- Surefire Muzzle Brake $150

Shoots sub 1/2moa from 100 -- One of the best AR's I've ever shot and I LOVE the PRI carbon-handguards, can't say enough about them.

This is basically what I did.

- SSA-E $175
- PRS *$200 if you know where to look
- Lothar Walther SASS 20" Barrel ($500)
- PRI AR 10 15" rail $350
- PRI Low-pro AGB $75
- Gas tube $25
- Gunsmith threw the barrel on for me - $100
- Surefire Muzzle Brake $150

Shoots sub 1/2moa from 100 -- One of the best AR's I've ever shot and I LOVE the PRI carbon-handguards, can't say enough about them.

Awesome set up and good choice of components.