• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-308 Suppressed

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Giving my propensity to f things up, for a suppressed 308 in an AR platform is there anything to fiddle with beyond the gas block? Mine is not currently adjustable, and while I could add one, like I said, my tendancy to f things up makes me nervous.

I;ve read sometimes buffer weights can assist..or is it "Dood, just get the new gas block"

Giving my propensity to f things up, for a suppressed 308 in an AR platform is there anything to fiddle with beyond the gas block? Mine is not currently adjustable, and while I could add one, like I said, my tendancy to f things up makes me nervous.

I;ve read sometimes buffer weights can assist..or is it "Dood, just get the new gas block"
The 2 items used with success for this purpose are an. Adjustable gas block, and an adjustable gas key. There may be some combo of spring / buffer that will work "ok" but I'd certainly consider an AGB and 2nd choice would be an adjustable gas key. AGB is easy to install and YouTube will show you exactly how.

Specifically get a detent adjustable and not a set screw setup. I really like the SLR Sentry series and I also have a JP detent adjustable block. The SLR is smaller and more low profile, adjustment is from the front od the block vs the side like the JP is. I run an OSS suppressor so the AGB is more just for tuning for my reloads than for the suppressor.

My research leads me to believe that adjustable gas blocks are almost never reliable/durable and prone to leakage. I guess I'll find out first-hand, as I too want to run my AP M5s suppressed. I'm going to start with the stock gas block before I put the SLR adjustable on and try it out.

My 6.5 creed gas gun gets a little nasty attitude if you shoot it suppressed with out opening up the gas block. You can actually feel that it is over gassed. Never thought it would be that bad but it is.

Agree with previously mentioned suggestions. Getting an adjustable gas block is very helpful and will give you the widest range of "tunability" for your system. Adding in a heavier buffer or more powerful spring can help as well. But, mainly smoothing out the reciprocating parts helps the best for reliability and felt recoil. See if a JP silent captured spring will fit your setup along with the adjustable gas block. I love how my rifles feel recoiling with the JP SCS systems.

My 6.5 creed gas gun gets a little nasty attitude if you shoot it suppressed with out opening up the gas block. You can actually feel that it is over gassed. Never thought it would be that bad but it is.
The 6.5 has a *much* higher port pressure than a .308...You really need a high quality gas block to control them.

Reactions: 502Chevelle
Get a good gas block like a superlative and you are good to go...

If you get cheap adjustable gas blocks...they suck...

Buffer springs and buffer tuning is a bandaide ... when I had my LMT ... you only really have a choice of either buffer/spring, gas key or adjustable BCG tuning as the barrel gas port is drilled at an angle...

For the record, I hated how my MWS recoiled when I tuned it via heavy buffer and spring combo...

What barrel length and gas port location ? ... what recoil setup ? Rifle ? Carbine ?

And considering the suppressor will increase blowback pressure and gas volume, I would want the bolt to remain locked closed as long as possible as well... so I would probably increase the buffer weight and use a stronger recoil spring.

FWIW, I run heavy recoil setups on all my Large Frame AR's and an SLR Adj. GB , no suppressor, they all recoil very gently. With a far less abrupt cyclic speed / impulse compared to OEM. All My SLR Adj. GB's are set around 6 clicks open of the available 15. YMMV , depending on your setup.

And the rifle setups use a 9.3oz 308 rifle buffer weight, with a Tubbs 308 Flatwire.

The Carbine stocked ones, also use a Tubbs 308 Flatwire, and dependent upon the Carbine stock pattern used, the buffer weights are around 5.3+ oz.

Obviously gas port size and location will be a factor as well. That's why I asked about your setup.
And FWIW.... I have various barrels from numerous manufacturers ... only the Krieger has what I would consider a "proper" gas port size for its gas length used.

Buffer weights will "help" , but ultimately your gas volume / flow will dictate the results.... in other words, if you don't limit gas flow, all you will be basically doing is banging around a heavier buffer weight with a heavier spring weight at a slightly lower cyclic speed.

Last edited: