• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR ambidextrous charging handle....any particular preference? Strike Industries Latchless any good?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
Many California approved AR grips utilize a barrier to prevent you from wrapping your thumb around the grip....there are other more expensive options but this modification is perhaps one of the most common and affordable options for us.

As a result of evolving and frequently changing and difficult to keep up with rulings i've neglected my AR, took it apart and left all the pieces separate and locked up in a safe. Never wanted to risk even the semblance of a problem.

I only recently heard about an F class event that includes the .223 and thought perhaps i would try this. I made sure everything is up to date and working nicely and 100% legal.

As such i'll need to change from my standard off side charging handle to one that i can manipulate on my strong side...

In shopping for an ambidextrous charging handle i noted that the Strike Industries model uses a detent that is different from the more common hook lever....and it's about half the price of models i'd seen years ago.

Wondering if anyone had any experience with them or are there other options i should consider. Please consider cost and quality. thank you

I’ve not used the Strike one but heard good things (on non-suppressed guns anyway).

I also often strong side charge and I love the Raptors for that — most of my rifles are slick side uppers without a forward assist and the Raptor is slightly extended on that side to stick out past the FA, which just makes it even easier for me.

Raptor showing the strong side extended a bit compared to the weak side:

1592927357144.jpeg

How much grasping room that gives you on a slick side upper:

1592927429030.jpeg

And here’s an overhead of one on a standard upper showing how much it overhangs the FA (it’s not much, but more than most):

1592927524996.jpeg

Also have the Geissele on one rifle and while it’s really well made I believe it’s symmetric between strong and weak sides.

Reactions: Staccato
What is it about the F-class event that requires you to have a charging handle that can be manipulated strong side? Ive got a BCM ambi gunfighter on one ar15, but I feel like I'm all thumbs using the charging handle with my strong hand. Much more convenient weak side.

I take it back, mostly. I just laid down behind a rifle and cycled through 50 or so trigger pulls. If running the gun like a bolt gun (manual cycling the action after each trigger pull), the strong side charging handle requires less fumbling than weak side. But, if using the gun like a gas gun, especially with a Magpul BAD, the weak side is easier for me. The BCM Mod3x3 ambi gunfighter is plenty big enough to get a good purchase on, from either side.

Last edited:
stilesg57 thanks...great photos and information.

hlee, it's not a requirement of F class per se, but rather a bit of a compromise i've noted when using grips such as these (photo copied from the internet, the yellow line demarcates allowable position for thumb/web placement):
image.png

Tried quite a few, Raptor is good, BCM is OK, Geiselle SCH is best for my preference.

MM

I have a raptor and a bcm, and I would give the slight edge to the raptor.

As a lefty, I was a huge fan of these, but I haven't been able to find this model in quite some time. (They used to make a Ambi version too.)

In the last few years, I've switched over to the Radian Raptor variants, and have no complaints.

I had the BCM and it was a great charging handle. I doubt.
I switched to Radian Raptor SD with the gas vents because I have a suppressor in jail and I wanted the gas staying away from my face. Hopefully this charging handle will do that.