• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR based pcc question

This is fun and all, but now may not be the time to delve into wildcatting both a cartridge and a firearm. I just looked at Starline brass and essentially every product line is either backordered or just not available. If the ammo isn’t on the shelf, and you’re not already stacked deep in loaded rounds or components, good luck feeding this unicorn.

Both chamber pressure and BC of the projectile. Discussion of one will inevitably lead to the other. But I guess first It would be a good idea to select what cartridges to use. So a list of commercially available rimless calibers will need to be made for starters as well.

Only if absolutely necessary. But that would be about the point I scrap this idea.

I don't see it as reinventing the wheel. Just making the wheel wider. But those are suggestions I will listen to. I chose the AR platform for this thread just because of it's massive aftermarket options, but I'm not necessarily dead set on that platform. An MP5 with collaspable brace (or stock) & 6-8" barrel is very close to the idea here. I haven't been paying attention to HK for a while, didn't realize they made the MP5/SP5 in 10mm. The MPX has been mentioned above. I have no interest in 300 Black out though.

wow, 🥱. Rivets and reciprocation mass don't work well together.

Smaller, no. Lighter, barely. Which one has lighter recoil and would be quicker with follow up shots out of a 5-6# carbine with an 8" barrel. 458 socom or the 44 auto that Rooster mentions?

I'll buy a revolver over the survivor pistol. I'd rather go nuts. The 44 automag round is an option though.

Given the opportunity to fire a warning shot, which is more effective at scaring predators: the sound of a .22 or the sound of a .44?
I have never fired a warning shot in my life. Opposed to it on principal.

This is fun and all, but now may not be the time to delve into wildcatting both a cartridge and a firearm. I just looked at Starline brass and essentially every product line is either backordered or just not available. If the ammo isn’t on the shelf, and you’re not already stacked deep in loaded rounds or components, good luck feeding this unicorn.
300 HAMR is looking more and more appetizing.
Brass is $33 for 100
Ammo is $20-$30 box
Close to .308 performance from a small frame AR.

Mikhail Kalashnikov, rebels and several large standing armies might disagree.
One thing you're overlooking is after it's initial design and testing phase, the Russians went as cheap as possible for mass production. The only intention for the rifle at the time and throughout the cold war was for the battle field. The AK is just not produced to last. Milled receiver AK's are a different story. Watch this guys videos and see the AK's he wears out. AK Operator's Union. Possibly having to replace rivets after 5000 rnds? No Thanks. The mass produced stamped models are made to be thrown away.

nearly 30 years is a long time to not be paying attention. the 10mm upper was originally made at the FBI's request, and you can either find an older FBI upper, or build one from a flat, or get one built from a flat.
Well, a little over a year ago I decided to get back into the hobby after nearly 20 years. Life stepped in the way and I had to hang the guns up for a while. So I still have some catching up to do.

Follow up shots? Are you planning to miss? 😳🤣
If you were in a life threatening situation, you would only fire one round?

One thing you're overlooking is after it's initial design and testing phase, the Russians went as cheap as possible for mass production. The only intention for the rifle at the time and throughout the cold war was for the battle field. The AK is just not produced to last. Milled receiver AK's are a different story. Watch this guys videos and see the AK's he wears out. AK Operator's Union. Possibly having to replace rivets after 5000 rnds? No Thanks. The mass produced stamped models are made to be thrown away.

Well, a little over a year ago I decided to get back into the hobby after nearly 20 years. Life stepped in the way and I had to hang the guns up for a while. So I still have some catching up to do.

If you were in a life threatening situation, you would only fire one round?
One shot, one kill. This IS Snipershide after all…

Reactions: papershredder
I have never fired a warning shot in my life. Opposed to it on principal.
If I'm out fishing, hiking, rock hounding/amateur prospecting, I really have no desire to kill a wild animal, so I'll give it an opportunity to live if at all possible.

The thought of a magnum pcc/pdw just popped up in my head over the past weekend. So for the hell of it, I shit the idea out here just to see how much of it sticks. Like I said up thread, I'm only half serious. BTW, I do work at a screw machine shop. All I have to do is get a print of the case of choice, drop it on the engineer's desk for a material/tooling/machine time quote. Once the order is processed and material/tooling arrives and I pay; I can set up and run the job myself. 1000lbs of brass will pretty much set me up for life on cases. I do have options ;)

Need a number dude.

Edit: How does a 150gr SST moving at 2310fps sound?
How does it stack up to 200gr at 1700 fps?

terminal effect is not just about energy, but applying that energy effectively. in the case of unarmored living tissue, slightly less weight with a moderate increase in velocity, coupled with a good controlled fracturing or scored hollow point will cause almost a full magnitude more damage.

you would be very hard pressed to find something more destructive in a compact form factor than a 300blk MCX/MPX shorty running supersonic loaded Lehigh defense 78gr HVCQ bullets. To achieve similar terminal results you would need to use either the 7.5FK cartridge recently released by FK BRNO, or a large bore carbine round.

If I'm out fishing, hiking, rock hounding/amateur prospecting, I really have no desire to kill a wild animal, so I'll give it an opportunity to live if at all possible.

The thought of a magnum pcc/pdw just popped up in my head over the past weekend. So for the hell of it, I shit the idea out here just to see how much of it sticks. Like I said up thread, I'm only half serious. BTW, I do work at a screw machine shop. All I have to do is get a print of the case of choice, drop it on the engineer's desk for a material/tooling/machine time quote. Once the order is processed and material/tooling arrives and I pay; I can set up and run the job myself. 1000lbs of brass will pretty much set me up for life on cases. I do have options ;)

How does it stack up to 200gr at 1700 fps?
KE = (1/2)MV^2

Roughly 50% more KE at the muzzle with the faster and lighter bullet. 30 cal is more aerodynamic, allowing it to retain more velocity down range, giving it more retained KE over the heavier and slower bullet.

you would be very hard pressed to find something more destructive in a compact form factor than a 300blk MCX/MPX shorty running supersonic loaded Lehigh defense 78gr HVCQ bullets.

I don't know what velocity those rounds are achieving in a 5.5" barrel but the minimum velocity is 2350. They also say it is designed to penetrate less than 18". On human or human sized targets that's great but on a big bear I'd want more penetration.