• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR BCG issue?

slickyboyboo

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2011
I bought a Joe Bob Outfitters Premium Complete Bolt Carrier Group (AR15/M16 BCG) a while back for my 300 BLK build. When I got the build completed and finally got to shoot it, I was getting stove pipes after every trigger pull. I was told that the coating on the BCG was probably causing bolt drag, and to oil it wet when I shot it, and try to work it out. I did, and it would improve a bit, but the problem came back after just 2-3 shots, so I took it off, and decided to try and polish the bottom of the BCG a bit to see if it would clear it up. After a bit of polishing, this is what I found. Do you think these machine marks could be the problem causing the bolt drag?

"Joe Bob" anything sounds fukin retarded. Get a BCM and I'll bet your bolt problems will be solved(if that is indeed the issue). I'd junk that carrier if it was me. Maybe call & get your $ back.

It definitely looks bad, but personally I don't think those marks will cause your "bolt drag" as long as you had some oil on that surface. Def not "premium" though.
Did you also take the BCG apart and lube the gas rings etc? I use Mobil 1.
When I see "300 Blackout" my mind immediately associates the word "subsonic." Are you using subs? If so it could just be underpowered ammo.
When you say it's a build, did you assemble the upper or buy it complete?

It definitely looks bad, but personally I don't think those marks will cause your "bolt drag" as long as you had some oil on that surface. Def not "premium" though.
Did you also take the BCG apart and lube the gas rings etc? I use Mobil 1.
When I see "300 Blackout" my mind immediately associates the word "subsonic." Are you using subs? If so it could just be underpowered ammo.
When you say it's a build, did you assemble the upper or buy it complete?

I did take the BCG apart, and lube it. I am not shooting Subs in it yet, only supers 125 gr Matchkings at 2100 fps. As for a build. I bought a stripped upper and stripped lower, and assembled everything myself from parts.

+1 on JoeBobOutfitters being GTG. I've done a fair bit of business with them over the years and they have always come through in fine fashion in every respect.

That said, if I'd have paid "premium" money for a "premium" BCG and the machine marks looked like that, somebody better be stepping up to offer me a suitable replacement or a refund or problems will ensue.

However, I'm not sure that carrier drag, or even that rough looking carrier, is necessarily the culprit in your case. First off, since there's always some "confusion" about what a "stovepipe" (or stove pipe, etc.) is, what specifically do you mean? Got any pics of the jams in question?

What gas system are you running? Adjustable block? Buffer/spring weight, etc.? Does the bolt lock back with a single round chambered/fired? What FCG are you running? Aside from the carrier, is the rest of your rifle being run wet? Just a few questions or so before we go off blaming JUST the carrier for your issues. So many places to go with a repeated jam its always tough to tell you where to start looking/adjusting.

Not so sure either the machine marks is the problem but definitely get it replaced with one of higher quality.
No excuse for that kind of quality control.
Buffers, springs, carrier weights, gas settings and loads all can be a crap shoot anyway.
At least start the process with a quality BCG .
Good Luck.

I don't have any pics of the jams, but basically the spent brass is being partially ejected, and its trying to feed a new round into the chamber, and jamming up the rifle.

I'm using a carbine gas system and buffer, as far as spring and buffer weight, all I know is that they are for a carbine system.
I'm using a Wilson Combat low pro non-adjustable gas block.
When I fire a single round, my gun ejects the spent casing everytime, and locks back perfectly.
FCG is an Alpha Shooting Sports, however after shooting, I realize that I want something much smoother, and a bit lighter.

"Joe Bob" anything sounds fukin retarded. Get a BCM and I'll bet your bolt problems will be solved(if that is indeed the issue). I'd junk that carrier if it was me. Maybe call & get your $ back.

Way to show your ignorance on the subject.

I had similar problems with a 308 AR and put a stronger spring in the ejector and a stronger spring with an O ring around the spring for the extractor . That seems to have cured my problem.

Way to show your ignorance on the subject.

Really ? You really want to go there ? I have no idea about the company's repute, and this is the first I've heard about them. That carrier looks horrible. Unacceptable. I wouldn't have even put that shit in my build to begin with. I've seen quite a few carriers, and this one takes the shit cake. And you'd tell me I'm ignorant for saying so ? Fuck you.

Really ? You really want to go there ? I have no idea about the company's repute, and this is the first I've heard about them. That carrier looks horrible. Unacceptable. I wouldn't have even put that shit in my build to begin with. I've seen quite a few carriers, and this one takes the shit cake. And you'd tell me I'm ignorant for saying so ? Fuck you.

No doubts that the carrier looks awful, is unacceptable from a QC-standpoint, and could easily be contributing to the OP's function woes with this particular rifle. HOWEVER, you didn't start by criticizing the part in question, but rather by attacking the business itself who sold it to the OP for what you deem to be a poor choice of names for the business (no need to repeat the exact words which are pretty pathetic and wholly unwarranted). Then you admitted you have zero experience with the company and had never even heard of them before your post. That, sir...IS IGNORANT...insofar as the attack on the company itself is concerned!

I assure you, JoeBobs did NOT make the part, but merely sold it, as is the case with MANY "re-branded" AR parts across the industry. Any number of highly reputable companies, even some with names you may not find so offensive to your delicate sensibilities, can have bad days with sending out sub-standard parts with their name on them that didn't get caught in the QC process (even BCM whom you recommended to the OP as a suitable replacement for a BCG has put out more than a few lemons in their time, including but not limited to their barrels). However, like any reputable business, they step up and take care of their customers, handling mistakes as they damn well should, which is why I, and many others, continue to do business with them to this day.

Nobody would have said anything about an open criticism of the part in question which is clearly not up to par, but instead, you attacked the business who sold it. Having dealt with JoeBobs on countless occasions in the past, receiving nothing but the highest levels of communication and service from them, I would almost guarantee that this issue will be made right for the OP. If they don't make it right, whether by refund, credit or replacement of the part in question, then you may have reason to launch an all out attack, even if it is based on some deep and illogical hatred of their name alone which so offends you! ;) But until then, let's keep focus on the part and how the company in question will deal with this issue and not go full "retard" (your parlance...not mine) on the company who merely sold it.

Very well put ORD, my thoughts exactly. Saito obviously had nothing constructive to add, so he should have just passed this thread on by. I usually just choose to ignore folks like that.

Yeah, you guys are right. My dig on their name wasn't called for. I just picture a no-shoes-wearing, banjo-pickin dude when I hear 2 first names. It's good to hear that they've got a decent rap and I'm surprised that I have yet to hear of them.

I am in no way ignorant on the subject of ARs though, and I really hope "Joe Bob" makes it right by you. If I was him, I'd be disappointed that something like that slipped out the door with my name on it. That's all I was saying. Let us know what they say about your BCG.

OP, I'm sure Joseph at JoeBob's will take care of the issue. Joseph is a stand-up guy, as you'd expect a veteran/owner to be.

I'd say you got a dud, mine polished up beautifully.

DSCF0682 (800x600).jpg

*When you say "partially ejecting", is the spent brass still in the upper when it's stripping the next round out of the magazine?

If that's the case, it may be bolt bounce. A heavier buffer of an extra power buffer spring may be the ticket.

OP: sounds stupid, but have you checked all the gas components? (Gas rings, tube, block, key, alignment, etc,) sometimes the obvious things are the issue.

It's be helpful if you had a pic, but I'm sure we can trouble shoot it. How many rounds have you put down the pipe? Does it just need to be worked in a bit? Do you have access to a heavier buffer? (Sounds counter intuitive, but some of those 300blk are finicky)

Is that an AR15 or M16 carrier? (I ask for weight reference)

Last edited:
You typically run a pistol length gas system with a .300 BLK. Even a 16" length barrel. The cartridge only develops about half the pressure of the 5.56MM.

The pistol length is all that will fit on this 8.2" barrel.

IMG_3443_1.JPG

However, it's the same as used in the longer barrels:

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_3289.JPG

Also, you'll want to stick with lighter weight buffers.

No doubts that the carrier looks awful, is unacceptable from a QC-standpoint, and could easily be contributing to the OP's function woes with this particular rifle. HOWEVER, you didn't start by criticizing the part in question, but rather by attacking the business itself who sold it to the OP for what you deem to be a poor choice of names for the business (no need to repeat the exact words which are pretty pathetic and wholly unwarranted). Then you admitted you have zero experience with the company and had never even heard of them before your post. That, sir...IS IGNORANT...insofar as the attack on the company itself is concerned!

I assure you, JoeBobs did NOT make the part, but merely sold it, as is the case with MANY "re-branded" AR parts across the industry. Any number of highly reputable companies, even some with names you may not find so offensive to your delicate sensibilities, can have bad days with sending out sub-standard parts with their name on them that didn't get caught in the QC process (even BCM whom you recommended to the OP as a suitable replacement for a BCG has put out more than a few lemons in their time, including but not limited to their barrels). However, like any reputable business, they step up and take care of their customers, handling mistakes as they damn well should, which is why I, and many others, continue to do business with them to this day.

Nobody would have said anything about an open criticism of the part in question which is clearly not up to par, but instead, you attacked the business who sold it. Having dealt with JoeBobs on countless occasions in the past, receiving nothing but the highest levels of communication and service from them, I would almost guarantee that this issue will be made right for the OP. If they don't make it right, whether by refund, credit or replacement of the part in question, then you may have reason to launch an all out attack, even if it is based on some deep and illogical hatred of their name alone which so offends you! ;) But until then, let's keep focus on the part and how the company in question will deal with this issue and not go full "retard" (your parlance...not mine) on the company who merely sold it.

Well said....

The portion of the bolt carrier that is effed up only bears against the spring-loaded hammer and the top round in the magazine. Since it appears to have been "smoothed out" a bit and the sharp edges removed from the machine marks, it would actually provide less bearing surface against these parts and should actually work better with a little lube on this surface. A completely flat surface would have more bearing area touching the hammer and provide more resistance. This is the reason I said it probably was not causing the OP's problem. BUT if this surface is in such bad shape, who knows if any of the rest of the carrier is to spec?

JoeBob is GTG, talked with Joseph today, and he thinks it's likely just a bad/weak ejector spring, but agrees also that the BCG should've never made it past QC. My replacement bolt has already been shipped out, and should be here by the end of the week.

JoeBob is GTG, talked with Joseph today, and he thinks it's likely just a bad/weak ejector spring, but agrees also that the BCG should've never made it past QC. My replacement bolt has already been shipped out, and should be here by the end of the week.

And THAT is why JoeBobs is GTG!!! ;)

Hopefully, the new premium BCG will be 100% and your problems will disappear just as quickly as they arrived. Be sure to keep us posted on the continued progress with this situation.

If that's the case, try the o-ring upgrade. Cheap fix

While it's unlikely those grooves in the bcg caused significant resistance, they may add more if they grab the rim on a round or the lip on the hammer, but not enough to slow it down that much. Double check your gas block alignment and make sure it's secure. I thought mine was til it shot itself loose. If neither that nor the new bcg/ejector spring fixes it try a heavier buffer as suggested. If it isn't resolved try barfcom. They may troll hard but you'll get the best knowledge for 300 BO.

While it's unlikely those grooves in the bcg caused significant resistance, they may add more if they grab the rim on a round or the lip on the hammer, but not enough to slow it down that much. Double check your gas block alignment and make sure it's secure. I thought mine was til it shot itself loose. If neither that nor the new bcg/ejector spring fixes it try a heavier buffer as suggested. If it isn't resolved try barfcom. They may troll hard but you'll get the best knowledge for 300 BO.

Or 300blk.com