• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Bolt Cleaning

ESSAYONS

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Looking for some feedback on this one. After shooting close to 1k rounds, my AR15 bolt and bolt carrier group was sludge to say the least(even with occasional sprays of Break Free CLP during shooting and shooting match grade ammo). I have been thinking about soaking the bolt and carrier in a submersable solution to cut the sludge and also break down the carbon build up in the hard to reach places, basically an easier wipe down process after soaking. I am considering the following:

1. Simple Green
Here is an article I found on Simple Green: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=203988&page=3
2. Brake cleaner- from the local NAPA store
3. Slip 2000 Carbon killer

Just want to make sure I am not eroding my gun and not to sound lazy- but cleaning my rifle with the least effort and little $.

Whats your vote?

Re: AR Bolt Cleaning

that carbon killer stuff works well....

what ever you get soak it and go get a brew.....flip the tumbler switch.....and watch some good Spanish language game show

I just soak my entire rifle in a rain gutter filled with diesel. For my bolt i soak that then scrape it with a magna-matic crt15
30j5n4x.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you do decide to use spray brake cleaner be sure to get a brand without chlorine.

Jim </div></div>

Can I ask Why ?

Carbon just isn't that hard to clean off. Use the CLP you have with a tooth brush. If you want to get fancy MP-7 Pro is excellent at cutting the carbon fast.

For carbon buildup/fouling, my choice is a long soak with original Hoppe's #9, followed with a brisk brushing with a steel bristle scrub brush. Repeat as necessary, and don't get obsessively meticulous. Improvement is improvement, and maybe it'll pay to go after some of the rest the next time. As long as you're gaining on it, you're having a good day.

Greg

1.) REMOVAL; Some ideas among many:

* GM (General Motors) Top Engine Cleaner.

* Kroil. It gets under everything - carbon, moly, etc.

* Boiling soapy water.

* Blast with walnut hulls like removing carbon for auto engine valves.

* 400 grit sandpaper

* 0 steel wool

2.) PREVENTION; Some ideas among many:

* Apply a thin coat of synthetic grease to the parts prone to carboning, or;
* Teflon cooking spray
* Hornady One Shot Dry Lube
* Polish the parts. I hate parkerized parts for this reason. Chuck em in a drill or vise em and get out some fine sandpaper - as long as you don't change the dimension of the part.
* All of the above
* None of the above.....but clean the parts after every shooting. Thats what I do and not so curiously I never experience carbon accumulation.

Moreover, run the AR "wet". Carbon does not stick easily to parts wet with lubrication. This sounds flippant, but I don't mean to be smart allecky to anyone. I'm really writing this to myself so I will continue doing it.

Hope it helps someone.

From my USMC days.... Remove the bolt, soak down the hole in the carrier with the product of your choice, (carb cleaner for me) stick a 5.56 stripper clip in and rotate. Spray cleaner again and repeat as needed. For the final pass, lay a patch over the hole and insert clip again and swab out remaining carbon. DO NOT let your NCOIC see you!
For carbon on the bolt itself, pull the brass strip from the stripper clip and scrape away using the sides of it. I'll prolly catch hell for the tip, but it works great!
wink.gif

3parts odorless mineral spirits, 1 part clp

dunk, clean the rest of the rifle, pull them out, wipe down, and re-assemble

This, but I use less CLP and soak overnight. I use a cheap wire basket and tray from Waly World. Save the mixture for next time after the gunk settles out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3parts odorless mineral spirits, 1 part clp

dunk, clean the rest of the rifle, pull them out, wipe down, and re-assemble </div></div>