• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar Build. (Opinions)

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
So I've been into centerfire rifles for a little bit and am thinking of getting a basic cheap Ar15 plat form built up. I don't want to go over $1k by too much if at all but I don't wanna skimp on quality for the AR it self with out accessories.

Application: Im looking to have a secondary CQB weapon other than my pistol. Im thinking of adding on a laser, flash light, front grip and either an Aimpoint or a EOTech haven't made up my mind yet. I was looking at getting a Rock River Entry Tactical for a base then change the hand guard out to be able to attach the flash light and laser.

Im just not solid on just buying the Entry Tactical of doing a complete build up of my own. Pretty much I'm looking for a basic AR platform that will save me the most with out going out and spending 2k+ like my buddy did. Im not looking to get the best of the best just an AR that will get the job done and hit a 6ft silhouette with in 100 yards. I dont need to hit sub MOA at 200 yards or anything of that amazing.

Yard range: Max out to 200 yards mainly below 100 yards.
Mostly for target shooting and run and gun drills out in the desert.

So I;m just looking for opinions for getting the best AR I can build on a budget in the end getting a good solid AR set up with out blowing the bank and going over board on the best of the best.

Re: Ar Build. (Opinions)

Take a look at the Bravo Company complete Uppers. I got a 16" mid-length and I love it. Then you can pick up a complete Lower LMT,Rock River,etc. I even think they are going to start selling complete rifles. Or if you want a off the shelf base rifle I Like LMT for their great fit and finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator j</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Bravo Company complete Uppers. I got a 16" mid-length and I love it. Then you can pick up a complete Lower LMT,Rock River,etc. I even think they are going to start selling complete rifles. Or if you want a off the shelf base rifle I Like LMT for their great fit and finish. </div></div>

I really don't mind getting a complete or put it together piece by piece.. I just want to get the best I can for the cheapest

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirknar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are a hell of a deal right now.. Aimsurplus is GTG too.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DTIMOEM4FDE&groupid=6 </div></div>

Never head of that company^^ they dependable??

Bushmaster M4 MOE you can find them for about 1k.

XM15-E2S-BCWA3F-all.jpg

IVe heard good stuff about doublestar..

I used this Daniel defense barrel and have had good groups with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?pr..._campaign=10636

it is about the best quality for the cheapest price that your gonna find.

I built this carbine using the DD barrel, for about 950 for the pic you see, not including the light or vert/grip.
DSC_1346.jpg

You could get by for cheaper by using a less expensive lower/upper and handguard/buttstock. But it was worth the extra cash I love this gun ..

I still need an optic but I shoot it with the magpul irons all the time at 1-400 yards on steel plates and get lots of hits.

get a stripped upper from Bravo for 93 bucks and a spikes tactical lower from AIM surplus for 89, then the DD barrel and youve got a great start. go with a RRA or Daniel Defense LPK for sure though.

highly reccomend JD machine tech- all my ar's are on their uppers and lowers, and they will build to your needs. i've seen them build entry level guns all the way to race guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">highly reccomend JD machine tech- all my ar's are on their uppers and lowers, and they will build to your needs. i've seen them build entry level guns all the way to race guns. </div></div>

+100 on that. Worth checking out if nothing else. You know you're getting a dependable rifle with full backing from them.

Ill have to check those out.

Whats the best complete AR under $1,000??
DPMS..Rock River...LWRC ect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill have to check those out.

Whats the best complete AR under $1,000??
DPMS..Rock River...LWRC ect. </div></div>

You won't find an LWRC anywhere near that cheap. I'm a Rock River guy myself. I used a stock RRA with the 2 stage match trigger for a long time before I started modding it out. Great guns.

Don't go cheap. Parts will be out of spec and give you a lot of trouble or could fail in the worst way. Best route from my experience...

Spike's Stripped Lower - $60-80
Lower Kit from Brownells - $60
Spike's Complete Upper - ~$550
Then just pick your stock from Magpul or Vltor or whoever.

You'll get a 7075 aluminum upper and lower with a HQ barrel for well under $1000. Spend the rest on ammo or optics. Spike's has a great rep and their rifles produce great accuracy.

If you want the tacticool look, then get a Troy rail (less than $200) and throw all of the other stuff on it. Take some carbine classes so you know which gear works for you and which stuff you can toss or sell at a fun show.

BTW - My first AR is a Rock River with a Wilson Stainless barrel with a Stag lower. I just recently added a Troy Battle Rail for less than 170 because it was on sale.

Rock Rivers are great from my experience.

Like any other tool, train the way you intend on using it.

I recently picked up a 16" midlength upper from Spikes Tactical

the fit and finish is great, it digests any ammo I've fed it and I manage to hit what I'm aiming at with it

doesn't get much better than that

BCM upper, pick one.

Local lower- frankly I really don't care what brand. I've had Olympic lowers and Magpul lowers- I never got laid or missed a shot because of either.

Lower parts kit from WOA, plus a BAD lever. I shot a AR10 last week and I forgot how much of a PITA the standard bolt catch is.

Replace parts with Magpul stuff till it is cool enough for you.

Save money for mags, ammo and a note thanking me for the best advice.

Have you considered a genuine Colt 16" M4? I saw a large well known supplier advertise them for $1099 the other day. They don't break and run forever. Next, I'd get a DD or LaRue rail and a Surefire light. Second, I'd pony up for an LMT SOPMOD stock. (A good sling and Magpul's BAD lever is a must on any AR.)

In cheapie land, I would opt for a std. LMT 16" M4 (not the MRP) as my first choice.
The RR second (with a good trigger).
BCM probably third.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Local lower- frankly I really don't care what brand. I've had Olympic lowers and Magpul lowers- I never got laid or missed a shot because of either.
</div></div>

That is funny shit! All to true too...

Yea my buddy was telling me to go CCM and Magpul. But I wasnt sure cause that's basically what his gun is and he's spend around $2k+ on it already.

Haha man this is hard so many different ways to go and pick and choose..