• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR Castle Nut Wrench & Law Folder Install

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Installing a law folder on my AR.

Looking for a cheap AR castle nut wrench. Lots of them show up on amazon, but I'm not sure which will work. Recommendations?

My castle nut is staked. Is it a good idea to replace the metal piece that is deformed into the nut? What is the metal piece called? Good place to buy one?

Also, curious what happens if you fire the gun with the stock folded. I see that it says do not fire with it open. Just curious, not planning on it.

Thanks!

Also, curious what happens if you fire the gun with the stock folded. I see that it says do not fire with it open. Just curious, not planning on it.
Do you understand the mechanics of the platform? What happens to the parts when you fire an AR15? Where they move and what they do?

When open, the LAW folding mechanism has a tab protruding into the where the BCG adapter sits. If you fire the rife when open, you will undoubtedly fuck up that tab. I'd guess that the entire BCG would also exit the rear with a fair bit of force.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Do you understand the mechanics of the platform? What happens to the parts when you fire an AR15? Where they move and what they do?

When open, the LAW folding mechanism has a tab protruding into the where the BCG adapter sits. If you fire the rife when open, you will undoubtedly fuck up that tab. I'd guess that the entire BCG would also exit the rear with a fair bit of force.
He should just use the ARIC system if he wants to shoot folded.

My castle nut is staked. Is it a good idea to replace the metal piece that is deformed into the nut? What is the metal piece called? Good place to buy one?
It's called the End Plate and while not expressly required it's generally a good idea to replace it with a new one since they're inexpensive. A good end plate can be had from anywhere that sells AR-15 parts and accessories (Brownells, AIM Surplus, Bravo Company USA, Aero Precision, Primary Arms, etc...). A basic mil-spec end plate will set you back about $5 with ones that feature QD sling points going for more, usually about $20 give or take.

Reactions: treillw
I believe the Gen 3 version allows the folded rifle fire, once, without damage.

Reactions: MO Fugga
I believe the Gen 3 version allows the folded rifle fire, once, without damage.

No
EDIT: I stand corrected. Still would be concerned with the tab and fucking things up. I have the latest gen on a Radian rifle and I would not fire it opened.

Last edited:

That's what I figured 😂

Have you tried one of the ARIC? I've been interested but really question function and durability.
I have not, I’m the same boat as you I’d say. I just don’t think I’d ever use it outside trying it, so if one comes up used somewhat cheap I might be tempted. More of a novelty for me

Reactions: SouthernGunner
Installing a law folder on my AR.

Looking for a cheap AR castle nut wrench. Lots of them show up on amazon, but I'm not sure which will work. Recommendations?

Thanks!
I have an adapter that goes on a socket. Works great with the Law folder. Not sure where I found it.

The Law Gen3 can be fired folded. Only once of course , as the normal buffer spring mechanism to cycle the weapon after being fired is disconnected. Close the stock, use the charging handle to cycle the weapon, ready to go.

The Law comes with a flexible aluminum "wrench" to install the internal castle nut that is further secured with an external friction set screw.
Whens the wrench "flexes", the recommended installation torque has been attained.

There is a socket attachment that can be used with a torque wrench to install as well; this is the adapter I have used many times.

Various platforms have different diameter adapters for the rear bolt fitment.

A few of the Law Gen3's I have installed.

IMG_2713 copy.JPG
IMG_2719 copy.JPG
IMG_2722 copy.JPG
IMG_2737 copy.JPG
IMG_3790LAW TACTICAL GEN 3 M VARIOUS SIZE BOLT ADAPTERS PWS WILSON AR9 STANDARD copy.jpg
IMG_6006 copy.jpg
IMG_6010 copy.jpg
IMG_6013 copy.jpg
IMG_5226 copy.jpg

I'm mainly just looking for a recommendation on a cheap wrench. There are a ton on amazon, but they don't say that they are AR compatible. The ones that I know are compatible are like $50, which seems excessive.

The firing when folded was just more a curiosity to know how bad it would be in an emergency or accident situation.

Thanks!

I'd start with not looking on Amazon for AR-15 tools too much risk of getting some piece of shit that will flex under load and/or not be to spec and mar the castle nut. Brownells has these two for less than $15.

Reactions: treillw