• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR ergonomics in a Rem 700LA?

Peter Laurvick

‘Merica!
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2017
Jacksonville, NC
I’ve been an AR guy the whole time I’ve messed with rifles, with a military training background. I’d like to think I’m pretty good with AR’s and use and practice with them often.

My problem is I absolutely suck with bolt actions. Probably lack of training or instruction. But besides that, I am trying to get the ergonomics of my Bolt Action Rem 700 L/A to fit as close as I can to an AR10/15. I am trying to match Length Of Pull, Drop at Comb, and Cheekrest for my AR.

Right now I have an XLR Evolution Chassis on the Rifle and I can match the length of pull and cheekrest, but I can’t match the Drop at Comb. As a result the stock feels like it is too low in my shoulder and recoil management isn’t what I know it could if I had a better stockweld.

I am looking for options to be able to bring the buttpad up to make the Drop at Comb, if possible, on the XLR Chassis system I already have. Digging around the Internet I see that the Cadex Chassis can do what I’m looking for, but those are a little out of the price range for now.

Anyone else run into an issue like this?

What options are out there?

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Attachments

• C1C5199A-89F9-4017-8325-588085DD8B09.jpeg
    C1C5199A-89F9-4017-8325-588085DD8B09.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 154694DD-8877-4E13-BC66-60E51277C3AE.png
    154694DD-8877-4E13-BC66-60E51277C3AE.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
  • 98F3CAD3-8FCB-4F4B-AE00-FA0FC02FA667.jpeg
    98F3CAD3-8FCB-4F4B-AE00-FA0FC02FA667.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 97061F1F-1046-4A62-9A73-749F1C3E9D75.jpeg
    97061F1F-1046-4A62-9A73-749F1C3E9D75.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 50
  • F0900FF5-9B5E-4475-91C4-FB711F5BFEF2.jpeg
    F0900FF5-9B5E-4475-91C4-FB711F5BFEF2.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 51
I know you already have the XLR chassis and would rather do what you can with that, however, KRG makes an accessory for the their chassis systems that allows you to move the butt pad up or down and cant it 15 degrees left or right at any of the heights. You can get a Bravo chassis in a R700 SA inlet for ~$350 plus the butt pad riser which is ~$70. LOP is adjusted via a spacer kit and if needed more spacers can be added than just the 3 that are provided. Downside to this is the ergonomics up forward of the butt are different than an AR style. Much larger more vertical pistol grip than your standard AR grip. The only other thing I can think of is putting a rifle buffer tube and Magpul PRS stock on the XLR and trying that. However, looking at the photos, it seems like the PRS on the XLR may make the overall length too long and you won't be able to adjust it short enough to where you want it.

Maybe measure the distance between the holes mounting the buttpad onto the XLR Chassis, and someone else on here that has a KRG tool-less buttpad height adjustment tool can chime in and tell you what the hole spacing on that is, there's technically 3 different versions (one for a different style chassis) and I believe each has a different mounting hole spacing. Perhaps you could create the unholy union of that and your XLR stock. I'd measure the one on my Bravo, but I'm currently away from home for the foreseeable future. Hope this offers some help.

Reactions: Peter Laurvick
Check gotxring.com by Gary Eliseo.
IMHO, Mr. Eliseo makes the most adjustable and best performing tube chassis on the market.
His tube gun chassis have been very popular with the coat and sling crowd and in the medals for a while.

Last edited:
It looks like you're using the tac lite stock which I don't believe has a height adjustment on the butt pad. Some of their other stocks do:

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/all-xlr-products/products/extreme-butt-stock

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/all-xlr-products/products/tactical-butt-stock

I do not think the magpul PRS is the answer. It is made for an AR, which puts the buffer tube an inch or so higher on the shoulder than the XLR or other chassis systems. You need something that can raise both the cheekpeice and buttpad a significant amount.

Check gotxring.com by Gary Eliseo.
IMHO, Mr. Eliseo makes the most adjustable and best performing tube chassis on the market.
His tube gun chassis have been very popular with the coat and sling crowd and in the medals for a while.
I shall check those out thanks.

It looks like you're using the tac lite stock which I don't believe has a height adjustment on the butt pad. Some of their other stocks do:

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/all-xlr-products/products/extreme-butt-stock

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/all-xlr-products/products/tactical-butt-stock

I do not think the magpul PRS is the answer. It is made for an AR, which puts the buffer tube an inch or so higher on the shoulder than the XLR or other chassis systems. You need something that can raise both the cheekpeice and buttpad a significant amount.

The TACLITE buttstock adjusts up 0.70” (not sure from where but it says it does in the FAQ).

The Extreme Buttstock adjusts up 1.40” (again not sure where the reference point is)

So right now I have the XLR adjusted up all the way. So I know the Extreme buttstock would give me an additional 0.70” if Height. Which is the most I’ve been able so find so far.

The PRS stock adjusts up (from the top of buffer tube) about 0.75” which gets me to about centerline of the bore. This is about a middle ground between the two XLR stocks.

But even the highest option for the XLR stocks which is the extreme is about 0.75” low from where I’d like it. That’s where I’m looking for options. Cause so far the Cadex chassis system is about the only one that easily does what I want and is readily adjustable. But also expensive.

Look hard at the eliseo. His whole system is patterned after an ar, in my opinion. Your trigger hand won’t know the difference. Comb may feel a little different as it may not be as thin as the ar, but I think you can work past that. I really like the ones I’ve shot at high power matches.

Look hard at the eliseo. His whole system is patterned after an ar, in my opinion. Your trigger hand won’t know the difference. Comb may feel a little different as it may not be as thin as the ar, but I think you can work past that. I really like the ones I’ve shot at high power matches.
I’d seen them but never knew I’d seen them before. Now that it’s been mentioned I really like the versitility of it for sure. I haven’t been able to find to many reviews or step by step setups on it though. Not sure if it’s my best fix especially cause I’m reading you have to glue the receiver into the tube with JB-Weld. Im probably going to email them and see what’s what.

Lol sorry dealing with a screaming baby at the same time. But also yes lol, I’ve seen those rifles like that but didn’t know it was a chassis system, I though it was some special dedicated rifle (clearly I’m not that much of a bolt gun guy).