• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR ff tube sling stud

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
I just finished a new AR build using a Hogue free-float tube forend (my first time using one, I generally use a railed FF forend) and I'm trying to figure out a way to mount a sling stud for a bipod. I'd really rather not have to drill and tap the tube if I can avoid it. Any ideas?

Re: AR ff tube sling stud

Since it is made of aluminum the magnet is out, I would recommend the drill/tap method. I just installed a rail section on my AR10 FFT so I can use my TD bipod, It is made of fiberglass. I used the original sling stud mount and drilled the tube and installed a 1/4x28 nut inside the tube with blue loctite, It is rock solid. The front is set in steel and the nut is just a back up, to keep the rail from moving. The bipod is mounted over the front stud location

The Khyber Pass solution would probably involve 2 hose clamps to directly attach the bipod...

But the drill/backup nut method is probably better
wink.gif

The easiest way is to simply use a sling swivel stud with lock nut, which requires you to drill a hole in the forend. Holding the locknut on the underside can be a pain, but this is the simplest method. However, if you are going to go to the trouble of drilling, you might as well tap the hole and use a standard threaded sling swivel stud. You'll need a 10-32 tap and #21 drill bit, as well as a swivel stud. Tapping aluminum is very simple, just remember to use cutting oil. I just got finished doing one the other day, and it took less than five minutes. Just clean the threaded hole out real well, degrease the area, and add a little blue Loc Tite and you'll be in business.

One thing to note, though, is locating the proper area on the forend to mount the stud. Its easy to mount it off center, which makes leveling a standard bipod a pain. Also, one more thing to remember, is if you ever remove the forend and barrel nut, there is a chance the stud may not end up in the proper position (and may be off by a few degrees or even more).