• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AR Flip-Up sights

patriotoutlaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Missouri
I was wondering what the opinions are (or test result posting) on the best Flip-Up Sights for an AR, are for the money. I want them for home defense and short range practice, not everyday beat-the-hell outta things use....

Re: AR Flip-Up sights

I have become a fan of the Diamond head brand sights.

Check them out, the concept is great and they just plain work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onekneedown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://troyind.com/

Arguably the best BUIS made. The just implimented a pricing reduction on them too so they are even more affordable.

These are the sights that RussW1911 is refering too...

DOA Sight </div></div>

Negative, these are the sights I was referring to.
http://www.diamondhead-usa.com/

The ranging front sight is a phenominal innovation.

Troy, especially with the new price drop

I like the Midwest Industry sights for the front sight. I shoot them in Limited 3 gun matches. cheap and they work..

ARMS lows for the rear.

Ive got a Magpul mbus on my ar and like it alot. Ive heard good things about Troy too.

Arguably, Troy is the absolute best for the AR15, but I went budget-priced. I have a YHM gas block/ front sight combo with a rear ARMS 40L (please no ARMS flames) that works well on the AR15, and run a set of MI BUIS on my AR10.

I have a set of the Magpul MBUS, and for the money they are hard to beat. low profile, quick to acquire and you can get a front and rear for the price of a mediocre rear sight.

I perfer a Cut Carry Handle or a LMT BUIS, 1/3 lower cowittness with a Aimpoint or EoTech.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Troy all the way. </div></div>
1+++++

I started with a KAC 300M rear and loved it. Then I got a set of Troy's on a POF upper and love them. I like the idea of the new Matech sights that do not require tools. Also saw the mini-KAC rear at SHOT and like the small size.

Magpul, not so much, if you mount on top of the gas block, remember it's plastic.

Finally a topic I can post in intelligibly!

I will ech what most have said about Troy being excellent flip up sights, but I honestly think the Knight's Armament sights are a little better.

I would ask this, why do you want flip ups? Are you using them as strictly backup sights? Do you have a main optic on the weapon? If you are using the irons as the main sighting instrument then I would suggest getting a fixed front and rear such as the LMT or Daniels Defense. They will be more durable, and always up and ready. The LMT is nice because it is essentially a chopped carrying handle in that it has the A2 sighting system built into the sight. This is nice because you can dial in the range you're shooting at into the sight.

Christmas2009ShootingNewYears039.jpg

My wife giving a reduced steel IPSC target hell at 200 yards with my LMT MK18...

I'm just curious . . . . . . with the range-adjustable front and rear sights available, someone thinks that dialing range to a target is feasable on a combat weapon. How many of you have actually dialed in the range anywhere other than a KD range on irons? If so, how did you figure out that range? Did you hit?

Just curious. I always thought of a BUIS as an emergency replacement to my optics should they fail. Tinkering with elevation while a bad guy is standing withing your line of sight (and hoping he doesn't either shoot you or just leave) seems to me to be an unholy sin. Chances are - if you can see him fairly well - he's within your zero range and you should be launching lead at him.

Adjustable elevation backup iron sights are a KD range toy IMHO. But if anyone out there has personally put holes in someone using one, I'm willing to get educated on the matter. Otherwise, a simple, sturdy same-plane rear (Troy, Magpul, MI, ARMS, etc) are what you should be looking at.