• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AR Optic for 16" Carbine?

Silver_Bullet_00

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
North Carolina
Got a new Colt LE6920, and I want an optic for it. I have a Stockpile of M855. Looking for an optic from close range out to 300m. Want to try to stay around a 500 dollar budget.

I've had a leatherwood before, OK.

Looked at Viper PST, & Burris Extreme.
The SWFA SS FFP 1x4 looks nice, but worth $800?

One of the most important things to me is eye relief, I don't want a scope that I have to place just perfect to get a picture.

Feel free to recommend others, but just going to let you know I cant afford a NF or USO at this moment.

Opinions? Experience?

Re: AR Optic for 16" Carbine?

*weaver has a nice 1-5 tactical in that price range

*Leupy has a nice VXR patrol for around $500 with the illuminated SPR reticle

I really like my Burris MTAC 1-4x. Its well build and the reticle is pretty good. For less than $400 delivered it's a good deal with good glass. I've used the same reticle the it has in a Burris Tac30 with good results to 400 yards. I've yet to have the new MTAC out that far yet, but it's got better glass so I'm assuming it will be just fine.

The FFP 1-4x and 1-6x scopes coming out for sure have the lock on being flexible but the cost is a killer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like my Burris MTAC 1-4x. Its well build and the reticle is pretty good. For less than $400 delivered it's a good deal with good glass. I've used the same reticle the it has in a Burris Tac30 with good results to 400 yards. I've yet to have the new MTAC out that far yet, but it's got better glass so I'm assuming it will be just fine.

The FFP 1-4x and 1-6x scopes coming out for sure have the lock on being flexible but the cost is a killer. </div></div>

Not sure of the exact MOA, but that center dot looks big on the MTAC from pictures. How is precision shooting with it?

I've used the Viper PST. It is bright, sharp and clear, and the stadia lines are thinner than some others - a plus in my book.

Vortex has outstanding customer service, if there is ever a problem.

Mark H.

For your price range the Vortex PST 1-4x seems like it fits the bill. It has gotten outstanding reviews thus far.

I can't wait to see the price of the new SS 1-6x. I hope it is competitive.

I'd go with a 2 MOA Aimpoint (not necessarily the new 2 MOA Micro--that would annihilate your budget) since it's perfectly capable minute-of-man out to 300 provided you do your job behind the rifle.

PST or Leupold VXR. Burris I didn't like the reticule center dot is mondo-huge. On a carbine that's shooting 3" groups that is fine but on a rifle that can shoot an inch or better a gigantic aiming point is annoying to me.

I had a Burris XTR 1-4 on mine and really liked it. The only reason I got rid of it was to save up for the new SS 1-6, that will hopefully get here soon. So Burris 1-4 and SS 1-4 would be top on my list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*weaver has a nice 1-5 tactical in that price range

</div></div>

I have the weaver and so far I really like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coloshooter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*weaver has a nice 1-5 tactical in that price range

</div></div>

I have the weaver and so far I really like it. </div></div>

How is the eye relief and exit pupil. This is my main area of concern. I don't like playing find and seek lol.

I have an ACOG TA33-8 3x30 with BDC and works great out to 300.

+1 for a 1-4 Vortex. Hard to beat their HS or PST for the price.

Irons can also be pretty effective at those ranges as well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical-Nut21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Nikon M-223 on my Bushy and love it. Check it out. </div></div>
javascript: void(0)
I looked at them. They have a BDC for 55 grain. My stockpile right now is 62 grain. I probably would just rather have a nice MOA reticle or Mil instead of a BDC. When I know the trajectory I can make the Mil-dot or MOA reticle work just as good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for a 1-4 Vortex. Hard to beat their HS or PST for the price.

Irons can also be pretty effective at those ranges as well... </div></div>

Irons are good. Just want a little magnification for precision, It will function as a target gun mostly, a SHITF gun if ever needed, and I might use it on the occasional coyote with proper ammo.

Is your budget 500 for just the scope or for the scope and a mount?

I have a Nikon M-223 1-4x with the point blank reticle on my 6.8 and I've liked it, but I would prefer a finer reticle. It has exposed turrets so it's easy to make adjustments, but they're really easily bumped off their zero. I use mine to hunt with and I've learned I need to check that the turrets haven't moved when I take it out of the case. If I had $500 to upgrade my scope I'd get a Vortex PST, but for a little more I'd rather get the Leupold VX-R

for your budget and needs an aimpoint or eotech and a flip magnifier would be just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FAL1123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your budget 500 for just the scope or for the scope and a mount?
</div></div>
Around 500 scope 100-200max on mounts. Looking for a complete package coming under 700. Thinking Viper PST or Burris.

from cqb distances to 300m and you dont want to worry about eye relief.

eotech or aimpoint. both can be had for under 500 bucks.

If you want magnification, theirs a number of magnifers and mounts to choose from for both optics.

Aimpoint if 1x is enough.

Burris Tac30 if you want the option of going up to 4x.

Sized.jpg