• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR pistol short stroking... Any ideas?

coop6677

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2020
First off, while Im not new to reading forums, this is my first post so thank you for taking the time to read it. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
Let's get started here. I built an AR pistol and I will give as much detail as possible in order to determine the problem here. From the muzzle to the brace, here is what I have used for the build.

Muzzle diverter: Midwest industries
Barrel: Ballistic Advantage, 10.3 in, 1/7 twist, 5.56 caliber. No dimpling for set screws. Government profile, .750 diameter
Gas block and Tube: Both CMMG, carbine length. Gas block is not adjustable
Upper and Lower: both Wilson Combat, just standard forged receivers, not billet or anything special
BCG: CMMG, standard M16 not AR-15. (we will get to this part later however)
Buffer/Spring/Weight: Both carbine and h2 weight used, standard carbine spring, carbine buffer tube. Sba3 brace used if curious

Heres the issue im having. My pistol is short stroking, and I can't quite determine why. I have done the following for testing: I have fired both 50 gr, 55 gr, and 77 gr .223, NOT 5.56 (yes, I understand there is a pressure difference). The pistol will barely spit out the 50 and 55 grain Fiocchi vmax, not picking up the next round. The 77 gr American eagle will throw it at about the 5 o clock position, short stroking, is usually but not always picking up the next round, working about 70% of the time. For the buffer weight, I started off with a H2 thinking a pistol would be blowing brass out of the water, but I was incorrect. I then threw in a carbine buffer, it has helped but still not even close to acceptable reliability. I then test the BCG, firing both the brand new CMMG M16 bolt which did not work, and then threw in a very broken in but totally functional AR-15 bolt, this did not help either as its still short stroking with both. Yes, I did make sure the gas rings are properly aligned and in good shape, AR bolt rings are worn in but still very functional. I also did make sure the gas key is properly torqued down and screwed in, not loose or in poor shape. I next fired the pistol with the muzzle diverter both on and off, no effect on reliability. Lastly is the gas block, and here's where the problem has to lay. While I did make sure the gas block is properly aligned, there are no dimples in the barrel to make completely sure. But after firing, I did take off the gas block to inspect the inside and here are my clues. The inside of the gas block after just 10 rounds fired is very fouled with a wet-ish rust color. The set screws were properly torqued down, but my gas block still has to be leaking due to how much fouling there is. No, I did not grease or oil the barrel or block, so why the fouling is rust colored and wet-ish i'm not sure. How can this leaking be fixed if its the issue? Should I open the barrels port diameter, or seal the gas block manually? Can you do it with blue loctite until the carbon seals it, or is there a product that physically seals off a gas block? Im willing to try a lot of things that are legitimate to make sure it's sealed and not losing gas. Last point of notes here. I did take it to my gunsmith that I work with (same store we work at) and he said simply the gas block was off center and fired .223 just fine. I think he only fired a couple rounds and was specifically the 77 grain because it sorta worked with it, but then 50 and 55 grain didn't even attempted to pick up another round. Now yes, I understand 5.56 would probably work great especially since it would have higher pressures, but two things. One, due to the ammo shortage as we all know, I cannot acquire any at the moment to test the theory, I have plenty of .223 but that's it. Next, while I understand it would probably fire great, I don't care. I want this gun to cycle .223 reliably and I don't care if it's over gassed and I don't care what grain the round is, this gun needs to be reliable with any ammo I throw in it. Thank you very much for the read and I look forward to any replies.

Can you drop a pin gauge through the gas port? I'm guessing undersized or not drilled through completely. Although the second is highly unlikely but possible.
Size of gas block ID and barrel OD would be helpful. Is it really easy to slide the block on the barrel? As I'm sure you know, some leaking is fine, but what you described is excessive.

All signs to me are pointing to gas block alignment/poor fit. Does the gas block secure by 2 set screws? Maybe try a clamp-on. Again, ensure you have the same diameter. It's a possibility the port isn't big enough, but the signs of gas leak make it less likely.

Do you have a spare gas block? And, just checking, are you sure you've properly lubed the gun? Doesn't matter if you're using .223 vs 5.56. A properly functioning AR should feed .223 just fine. As suggested above, try to check the gas port size, just to eliminate one possible area that's contributing to the problem.

Can you drop a pin gauge through the gas port? I'm guessing undersized or not drilled through completely. Although the second is highly unlikely but possible.
Size of gas block ID and barrel OD would be helpful. Is it really easy to slide the block on the barrel? As I'm sure you know, some leaking is fine, but what you described is excessive.
Thank you for the reply. The diameter of the gas block and barrel is .750”. The gas port is advertised as .070”, however I will try and see if I can find a pin gauge at work to measure. When sliding on the gas block, I will say it does seem easier and maybe a hair “looser” than I remember my other gas block installations being, but it is not to where it clanks and rattles if I shake it or try and twist it when it’s loose.

All signs to me are pointing to gas block alignment/poor fit. Does the gas block secure by 2 set screws? Maybe try a clamp-on. Again, ensure you have the same diameter. It's a possibility the port isn't big enough, but the signs of gas leak make it less likely.
The gas block just seems slightly “loose” than it should be. Of course I’ve made the correct measurements, but it seems like it’s possible the gas block was cut just a hair too much. I will throw on a new gas block on and see if there’s a difference in how tight it fits on.

Do you have a spare gas block? And, just checking, are you sure you've properly lubed the gun? Doesn't matter if you're using .223 vs 5.56. A properly functioning AR should feed .223 just fine. As suggested above, try to check the gas port size, just to eliminate one possible area that's contributing to the problem.
While I don’t have a spare, I have access to one and will be trying on a new one this afternoon, will post on how it goes. As for lubrication, yes, I’ve oiled it and greased it any and every which way possible. From slightly dry to dripping wet and everything in between to just see what happens. And yes I agree, just about any proper AR should cycle both rounds, which is what’s so irritating about it.

You might check exact distance from gas block tenon shoulder to center of gas port vs dimension from back of gas block to center of port hole. Some of GB’s I’ve mounted need to sit a bit off the tenon shoulder to align correctly port to port. Any misalignment could very easily cause the short stroking you’ve experienced.

You might check exact distance from gas block tenon shoulder to center of gas port vs dimension from back of gas block to center of port hole. Some of GB’s I’ve mounted need to sit a bit off the tenon shoulder to align correctly port to port. Any misalignment could very easily cause the short stroking you’ve experienced.
So I went back and did a mega amount of testing. So after firing with different upper and lowers, it only malfunctions with that particular barrel. I even switched gas blocks and tubes, aligning them flush with the shoulder and even backing the gas block off a tad, which made it worse. However after observing the marks left around the gas port, I can conclusively determine that the gas block is perfectly over the gas port. After doing some more digging, the gas port size is .070”, which is fine for 5.56. Reading for how other basic companies like to open up their gas ports for their pistols, I’ve seen them up to .087”, which no freaking wonder they’re “reliable”, they’re gassing them like there’s no tomorrow. I’ve determined that my gas port size is too small, and is perfect for 5.56 and that only. .223 is too under powered for that gas port size.

Went back and did a ton more testing. I’ve switched every possible part, uppers and lowers mixed together, different gas blocks and tubes, even more BCG’s switched out and buffers. Every time is was with the 10.3 barrel, it was short stroking .223. I then asked “how does Anderson, Palmetto, or Diamondback have their pistols function not only reliably, but with big ole H2 buffer is in there as well when they’re the El Cheapo companies?” I did more digging about your question on the gas port size, and wow. They’re running .083”, .085”, and .087” size gas ports, when mine is only a meager .070”. Theirs are running reliably because they’re gassing their guns like the Germans like to gas the trenches. I am 99% certain the port is not big enough, and you my friend were correct in your assumption is was under drilled. Thank you.

Also, take a chamfer bit and use it on the gas port. This gives you a bit more leeway when it comes to aligning the gas port on the barrel and the gas port on the gas block. 3349E22C-4C0A-4D05-B807-8B3F8205EE05.jpeg32AC146A-DB8A-4076-B2AF-006543FBCFFA.jpeg

Last edited:
DIY gas blocks are meant to be easily installed by the person at home with no real shop tools specifically set-up for a press-fit gas block.

Manufacturers would be dealing with returns all the time from customers who don’t understand how the gas system works, and just want to be able to throw parts together, so after-market blocks lean to the slip-fit side. This is terrible for gas operation, kind of like a car with loose exhaust manifolds that don’t generate the correct back-pressure for the engine.

You really want a press-fit or sealed gas block set-up, and there are several ways to accomplish this.

I personally part-select so that my gas blocks fit tightly to the journal, and I also seal with Red Loc-tite once I’ve taken detailed measurements for where the block will be placed in relation to the gas ports.

I won’t assemble a barrel into an upper until I’ve established that the gas port is the correct diameter I’m looking for, specific to the cartridge, gas system length, and plug dwell length ahead of the port.

I only use clamp on gas blocks that are adjustable. This allows you to adjust the gas block position, while at the range trouble shooting and also adjust the gas flow.

Attachments

• gas block.jpg
    gas block.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: Dolomite_Supafly
I only use clamp on gas blocks that are adjustable. This allows you to adjust the gas block position, while at the range trouble shooting and also adjust the gas flow.
I run a tuneable on every barrel that I didn’t build. Most factory barrels in 5.56 are over gassed.