• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tcm65

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
PA
What do you guys think about ar pistols. Are they worth it? I'll keep the question that simple cause I wanna hear opinions. Thanks

I have "pistol" marked lower and uppers in both 5.56 and .300BO. Ive found the 300 to be the handiest little thing since the bottle opener. Its become my "ranch gun" and truck gun all in one. 8" barrel good to 150yds+ with Barnes black tips. Whats not to like??

Reactions: W54/XM-388
An article in Dillons Blue Press a few months ago discussed the single most important feature of any .223 pistol using a stabilizing brace;
Your CCW allows you to carry it the same as any more conventional pistol.

It's a hassle to carry a concealed SBR, even if your CCW allows "Weapon or Weapons".

Mine is a Galil Ace. I conceals wonderfully, and is way fun to shoot. I had to loose the flash hider to fit it in my pack.
AR Variants just can not get as compact as the AK sort, burt if I wanted an AR, it would be the TROY pistol.

I pulled the trigger on a sig m400 scorpion pistol with brace. My lgs had a great deal on them. I couldn't be happier with it. Fun to shoot and I can use it as a truck gun. Thanks for the responses

Between the pdw braces and the folding braces that are more recent I regret the $200 spent and year wait for my sbrs

What do you guys think about ar pistols. Are they worth it? I'll keep the question that simple cause I wanna hear opinions. Thanks
Depends on the task you want to fill. I have a few with 10.5 an 11.5 barrels. To 300yds with comp 4's mounted it's a give me. Across the steering wheel in a hurry, stick with 20 rd mags. I built mine because in bama you can carry a loaded pistol in the truck, but not a rifle.

I got into title II toys in the mid 70's when was the 30day turn around?
AC6CA920-4F8A-4427-812E-6530681EF959.jpeg

Late 2014. That one was actually 36 days, but I think I had one that was 28 days

Times started growing after that, my next stamp was a form 1 can submitted 12/15, it was roughly 90 days, submitted a form 1 for an mpx in November of 15 and it was roughly 90 days. Last form 1 I did was right before 41f deadline and it was over a year

I have a couple. The 5.56 never gets touched really. I have 300blk with an 8.3" barrel that is my truck gun. under 26" so it is good under my CCW. awesome little gun.

Unfortunately, I missed the boat on cheap MGs. I passed on an M10 45 last year for $4500 and have been regretting it ever since. I already have too many expensive hobbies. And i had just dropped 3k fencing the back yard in for the damn dogs. Luckily I have several friends with Tranny mgs and I never have any trouble scratching that full auto itch when it comes up

Had many belt feds along the way but always wanted to own a quad 50. Love those things, but wife an kids came first. A pair of MG 42's or a 134D for air guard ain't that bad, but the quad was/is my favorite. Always wanted to bang a quad that was fitted with M85's but never got the chance to-date.

Reactions: Sbeatty1983
My pistol 300 blackout with 7.5 inch barrel is fun with a suppressor. The ar pistol being lighter and shorter just makes the suppressor experience better and more fieldable. Also the shorter barrel is more forgiving on my cast polymer coated reloads staying below the sound barrier.

With the quality of the Braces out on the market now....there is really little benefit left to going the SBR route.

i just built this last week.

7.5" .223 wylde
SB PDW brace
IMG_0866.jpg

thing is remarkably light and handy......didnt have to wait months for govt approval, didnt have to pay a tax, i dont need permission to travel over state lines, and its covered under CCW so it can be carried loaded in a car.

A LAW tactical folder is a very nice addition.... I don't carry mine on a regular basis but it is very nice to be able to put it in a regular old backpack when traveling and not raise any eyebrows going into hotels, etc.

The Law Gen3 folders are really nice kit. I put them on all my SBR's just for compactness sake.

However assembling an AR-pistol with a folding stock violates the generosity of the BATFE rules, as apparently the agent(s) can / may / or will measure the AR pistol with the stock folded to it's shortest OAL....then it's actually transformed to an unregistered AOW not a AR pistol and not an SBR, since it was never a rifle from birth. It sounds like a lot of potential legal commotion to convert a AR-pistol with a buffer tube to a stock containing a buffer tube (receiver extension) that folds away from the receiver.

Some discussion here:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/05/24/oal-brace-folded/

Here's a few BATFE SBR's (some 9 mm, 5.56, 300 BlkOut) with the kit.

IMG_5912 copy.JPG
IMG_4282 copy 2.JPG
IMG_6120 copy 2.JPG

Last edited:
With the quality of the Braces out on the market now....there is really little benefit left to going the SBR route.

i just built this last week.

7.5" .223 wylde
SB PDW brace
View attachment 6944988

thing is remarkably light and handy......didnt have to wait months for govt approval, didnt have to pay a tax, i dont need permission to travel over state lines, and its covered under CCW so it can be carried loaded in a car.

Until they change the law again and you can't shoulder the brace...

Until they change the law again and you can't shoulder the brace...
let be honest here.....did anyone actually follow the guidelines when they stated you couldnt shoulder it?....no.

it was unenforceable...

and even on the astronomically high odds you got taken to court over it......how is the atf going to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you shouldered a brace as opposed to just got it REALLY REALLY close to your shoulder?

the whole thing was stupid.....even the ATF realized it was stupid.....which is why they didnt put up much fuss when they reviewed their initial statement.

Reactions: Spblademaker
Hi
The Law Gen3 folders are really nice kit. I put them on all my SBR's just for compactness sake.

However assembling an AR-pistol with a folding stock violates the generosity of the BATFE rules, as apparently the agent(s) can / may / or will measure the AR pistol with the stock folded to it's shortest OAL....then it's actually transformed to an unregistered AOW not a AR pistol and not an SBR, since it was never a rifle from birth. It sounds like a lot of potential legal commotion to convert a AR-pistol with a buffer tube to a stock containing a buffer tube (receiver extension) that folds away from the receiver.

Some discussion here:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/05/24/oal-brace-folded/

Here's a few BATFE SBR's (some 9 mm, 5.56, 300 BlkOut) with the kit.

View attachment 6945497View attachment 6945498View attachment 6945499

Only an issue if you have a VFG. Stockless with a VFG, > 26" = firearm, < 26" = AOW.

Here's the transformation of the Wilson. Hard to believe that just changing a few similar parts triggers (pun intended) all the time, $ and paperwork.

Glock-based AR9G 8" pistol with Shockblade.

IMG_4891 copy.JPG

Buffer tube exchanged for fitting adjustable stock. Suddenly illegal on multiple counts.
IMG_4910 copy.JPG

Law Tactical Gen3M added.
IMG_5922 copy.JPG

IMG_5920 copy.JPG