• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR platform 308 build advice - manufac./suppliers

Ranger413

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2012
SE Georgia - USA
Long ago I built my own M4gery based on a bushmaster lower. It was addicting and once others saw the savings I helped build three more. Months of research went into finding the best lower, upper, barrel, etc. until I had pretty much a blueprint of rifle parts and the best place to buy those parts. I've been out of the building game for some time now and need your help.

I'd like to put together a 308 based on the AR platform. What are your recommendations for the individual parts. The stock, grip, and forend will come later. Right now I'm looking for info on the bones of the system. I'll want to stick with a barrel length of 18". Reliability is #1 followed by accuracy.

Re: AR platform 308 build advice - manufac./suppliers

I feel like I've posted this before lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I used

Buffer spring
Buffer
RE
RE nut
Stock
Cheek riser...thing this is a pretty neat attachment. It shows on the website it installing into the CTR but I put it on my MOE no problem. Plus it came with Dillo Dust and it was AWESOME!
LPK I discarded the pistol grip as I hate it and put a tango down in its place. Without using the pistol grip and MOE bottom part (the name escapes me) you could probably get a custom LPK from G&R with only the parts you need
Upper/lower uses dpms thread patter for the rail and I managed to catch it on sale last Christmas for $499
BCG
Rail you'll have to check what your upper high is. there is a diagram there that will tell you what the dimensions should be for the low vs the high
Comp personal preference
Barrel

I also had my barrel dimpled by Marvin Pitts with nefarious arms and it lightened the barrel about...half a pound. Marvin was good to work with and he assembled the whole upper for almost nothing.
One thing I knew in the back of my mind when I was buying all these parts over last year, all the tools to assemble a 308 upper are NOT the same tools to assemble a ar15 upper. Duh me! But if you intend on doing this yourself you need a new upper receiver block, lower receiver block, and a wrench to put the compensator on. The standard ar15 barrel nut wrench will work for the barrel nut though. I think Marvin charged me like $20 or $30 for the assembly and the tools cost upwards of $100 so it was sort of a no brainer to have it put together for me

I'm sure you could find a few cheaper parts, but the Armalite stuff is about as cheap as I would dare go. I wouldn't skimp any lower than that or you're going to sacrifice quality

But really, looking back at it and looking at the prices of the GAP or the MWS, or the upcoming SP901 which is <span style="font-style: italic">supposed</span> to go on sale this month for MSRP of $2129 or something....I can't say I would do it again. I've built several AR15s and it is fun to do, but I'm not sure I'd build a 308 again. Not really cost effective IMO. This build is $2300 or so and for the same or a little more you can get a good gun ready to go. As others have mentioned, Obr, MWS, GAP, PredatAR, SP901 whenever it hits.

I contacted GAP a while back and got a quote on a Rock barrel cut to 18", threaded for compensator, with a RE installed and it was around $800. That would have brought the build to $2600. An MWS with a Rock barrel can be had for $3400 on LMTs website so that IS a pretty substantial difference. But $800 for a barrel was more than I wanted to pay. Plus I was getting it dimpled for $250 making it over a grand just on the barrel

I'm happy with my build, just don't think I'd do it again. Sort of like the ar15 market right now. You can get a factory Colt for the same price as a built rifle if you build with BCM, LMT, DD quality stuff.</div></div>

Building an AR15 is easy. Building an AR308 is, mechanically just as easy. But because there is no 1 standard for parts you have to check and double check to make sure everything works with everything else.

But there is also the MWS, the GAP10, OBR, PredatAR, SP901 if it ever ever comes out

Take the time and check out JP's line of products.

I am hoping to own an LRP-07 or a PSC-12 upper assembly. Top notch equipment I think..

If you don't want to break the bank, check out Rock River's offerings in the Varmint A4 line. They use Wilson heavy air-gauged stainless barrels, and are very very accurate. I have one in .223 with a 20" barrel and it can beat my bolt-action remys for accuracy, easily 1/2 MOA out of the box. My shooting buddy has the same rifle in .308 with the massive 26" barrel (overkill). That rifle is super accurate, I have seen him make one-hole groups many, many times. He has developed his own rounds for it, but to be honest, it was doing just fine with Federal Match, but he wanted to take it to the next level.

For the cost of those rifles, and the speed at which they get to your door, I was completely blown away by the accuracy. I have a bunch of bolt guns, but that Rock River AR has become my go-to rifle, it will hold up against most higher-end Remington types (I have two LTRs as well as a Remington-based GAP). I never expected that kind of accuracy and consistency out of a non-custom rifle.

I built a MEGA MATEN and couldn't be Happier. Here are the components I used:

Receiver: MEGA MATEN
Bolt/Carrier: DPMS
Trigger: Geissele SSA-E
Barrel: Fulton 18.5" Chrome Lined
Gas Block: PRI Adjustable
Gas Tube: Ranier Arms
Grip: Magpul MIAD
Stock: CTR
Charging Handle: BCM Gunfigher mod4
Handguard: Troy TRX-308 12"