• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR trigger issue, need to always go between fire and safe to reset trigger

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
I hope someone can help me with this AR trigger issue. I purchased the trigger brand new from the manufacturer quite a few years back but never installed it. It looks just like the Timney AR trigger.

If I fire a cartridge I must then physically turn the safety selector from fire position to the safe position and then back to fire to enable the trigger fire again.

I tried another trigger with all else being the same and the second trigger functioned normally.

Just to be sure I changed safety selector to another brand and still the same problem.

i took a little video but not sure how to post it...will search

Sounds like a disconnector issue. May be an adjustment screw to fix or may have to send back to manufacturer.

The trigger was from a company called Mech Armor...unfortunately, i can't seem to find them....maybe they're out of business?
There is a hex screw or bolt on the bottom by the disconnector but it must be locked somehow as it doesn't unscrew. Maybe i'm being too gentle? These triggers appear so uncomplicated.

Sounds like the trigger isn’t resetting, it’s staying in the fired/rearward position. Putting the safety on, is pushing down on the back of trigger, assisting in it resetting. Take the upper off, pulling the trigger, while keeping it depressed, push the hammer back (like it would under firing) And let off the trigger. If your problem happens then the trigger will stay back/pulled. Push the back of the trigger shoe forward. If you hear/see the hammer reset/come off the disconnector that either something is binding up the trigger, like captured trigger pins being too tight, or more likely like stated, you have too much disconnector enragement.

jrbet83....that's exactly what happens. it does this even without being in the rifle, so no trigger pins pressing down. must be too much disconnector engagement. got to figure out how to unscrew that hex bolt i guess

X2 on heat to get the screw to move. The gen 1 timney had the same issue I believe. Probably YouTube search how to fix a timney and get the rough idea on how to work yours.

thank you so much everyone

... i took the whole thing apart shy that hex screw.

i thought the hook of the hammer would engage the top engagement of the sear when installed but cocked....instead i found mine to be separated in space one from the other.

i then searched for a photo of an uninstalled Timney trigger and it looks the same (separated in space with the hammer secured by the lower engagement of the sear.

i think there must have been some sort of adhesive or perhaps old thick grease? I cleaned the heck out of every nook and cranny. .i think it helped, it certainly feels smoother.

uninstalled the sear holds the hammer securely at the lower part of the hammer.

i'll take apart the receiver yet again tomorrow, install the trigger and and test it out. if that doesn't work i'll try to heat the screw as suggested.

just a follow up....cleaned it up, trigger works perfectly now. it's a really nice trigger.

thanks everyone.

Last edited: