• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR triggers

Baddog0302

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2014
To those of us that are novices to the AR platforms, going from "bolt guns" to AR triggers is like waking up in a strange house with a strange very fat woman.
So it would be greatly appreciated when you recommend a trigger for an AR system you at least also list the 1st stage pull wt. and the 2nd. stage breaking pull wt.\
ie; 1st stage 3 #, 2nd stage 2#

These are two that I have and use and you should probably look into if you are interested in really good AR triggers.
Geissele SSA 1st 2.5, 2nd 2.0 (I use for all round shooting)
Geissele SSA-E 1st 2.3, 2nd 1.2 (I use for precision shooting)

I would highly recommend either the Match Rifle or DMR versions of Geissele's Hi Speed National Match trigger line. Each stage is adjustable and not hard to do. I love being able to tune these to different pull weights and find what I like relative to the rifle and application rather than being stuck with one weight.

The Match rifle version is:
1st Stage Weight: Adjustable from 1.5lbs. - 2.5lbs
2nd Stage Weight: adjustable from 0.3lbs. - 0.9lbs
Total Pull Weight: Adjustable from 1.8lbs. - 3.4lbs

The DMR Version is:
1st Stage Weight: Adjustable from 2.3lbs.- 3.6lbs
2nd Stage Weight: Adjustable from 0.5lbs.- 1.5lbs
Total Pull Weight: Adjustable from 2.8lbs.- 5.1lbs

A single stage trigger such as a Timney or Jard will be closer in feel to your typical bolt gun trigger. Obviously, if you are used to an AI or TRG trigger, the Geisselle will feel more familiar.

I'm a Wilson combat fan...use both their single stage and two stage match triggers...which i have several of both. Single stage all seem to break under 3.5 lbs..their 2 stage match triggers are probably my favorite all around trigger 1 lb first stage 2.3 lb second approx.

Last edited:
Thank you all,
CRS, I forgot to state that my RRA 20" Var. and the AR-10T will only be used for 200 & 300 yd. [range limit] shooting from a bench and if I can work the kinks out of my 77 year old body so I won't need help getting up off the ground some F-TR shooting.
MarkCO, The price of the Jard is appealing

These are two that I have and use and you should probably look into if you are interested in really good AR triggers.
Geissele SSA 1st 2.5, 2nd 2.0 (I use for all round shooting)
Geissele SSA-E 1st 2.3, 2nd 1.2 (I use for precision shooting)

My two favorites.

And, I don't know of anyone that has worn out a G trigger.

The CMC triggers will feel a lot more like a bolt gun trigger than Geissele's (still great triggers), as the CMC's are single stage, light, and super smooth. They come in curved and flat bows from 3-7lbs in 1 or .5 lb increments, can't remember which. But, they are so smooth that the 3lb doesn't really feel like 3 lb when shooting an AR, as the recoil impulse is different and some have issues with light triggers and follow through with their trigger control. Something to keep in mind with AR triggers.

I have an AR Gold and love it. No Adjustability, really doesn't need it.

My sniper team partner has the flat trigger version of the ssa-e on his LMT MWS I love that trigger. I have the JP in my LRP 07, which is a very nice single stage.

I have a Wilson Combat 3G trigger in my SPR built AR, and I really like it. The trigger reset is very short, and it almost feels like a light single stage trigger upon reset. I'd buy it again most days. The hyperfire triggers are awesome too, my wife's AR uses one. I like the Geissele National Match hi speed trigger the best for 2 stage triggers.

So a quick summary:
3 gun type trigger: Wlson combat 3G
Single stage: Hyperfire
2 stage: Geissele National Match

Im a huge fan of the 3.5# CMC single stage but they did just release some 2 stage triggers as well for those that prefer 2 stage.

I was surprised by the Hyperfire. I originally dismissed them as a gimmick, but they are the real deal.

Lots of people have jumped to the wrong conclusions regarding the Hyperfire. Myself included.

But it is a crisp trigger that resets quickly coming in at 2, 3, or 4lbs pull weight. And it has the hardest hitting hammer out there.

We have sold about 50 of them out of the shop here in the last 4 months. I get nothing but positive feedback on them. Not one single person has been dissatisfied with it.

I've got the CMC 3.5lb single stage and like it, but I'm looking to switch to the AR Gold. If you decide to go with the CMC, send me a PM and we can both get what we want. : )

I run the Hiperfire 24C. It's crazy fast.
If OP wants a trigger like the bolt guns single stage is the way to go. Check them out, You won't be dissapointed.

I chose between the 24C and SD-E and don't regret the Hiperfire. The SD-E is a super nice trigger but for a race gun (3-gun/IPSC) I didn't like the take up/first stage.
But for a hunting/"battle"/plinking rifle I would most likely go with a Geissle 2-stage.

I run the Geisselle and absolutely love it. Once you hit the second stage with the trigger down to .5 its so easy to hit and be consistent. And the hitting of that second stage is distinct and even when you are excited or stressed you feel it and know when you have gotten to the second stage. The DMR has changed my opinion of two stage triggers for good, I have toyed with getting a two stage for my bolt gun now or just going low right off the rip instead of 2 lbs truly love the Geiselle!

The DMR Version is:
1st Stage Weight: Adjustable from 2.3lbs.- 3.6lbs
2nd Stage Weight: Adjustable from 0.5lbs.- 1.5lbs
Total Pull Weight: Adjustable from 2.8lbs.- 5.1lbs