• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar upper for precision shooting

s002wjh

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2013
ohio
who make a good ar15 upper for precision shooting? 18"+ match barrel, below $1200 range. mainly for shooting upto 100-500yrd.

# 1 on my list is White Oak Armament. I bought an 18" varmint upper with 1 in 7" twist and had them flute the barrel to save some weight and dissipate heat faster. The complete upper including fluting and shipping was $734.00. I shot two shots to sight in my scope then shot 5 times with my old hunting load of Sierra 65 gr. Game Kings that I used to hunt deer with the old stock upper. Below is a picture of that group. After that I shot another 5 shot group with 69 gr. Match Kings and that group was a lot smaller.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17555&cat=261&page=1

Attachments

• 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 24
# 1 on my list is White Oak Armament. I bought an 18" varmint upper with 1 in 7" twist and had them flute the barrel to save some weight and dissipate heat faster. The complete upper including fluting and shipping was $734.00. I shot two shots to sight in my scope then shot 5 times with my old hunting load of Sierra 65 gr. Game Kings that I used to hunt deer with the old stock upper. Below is a picture of that group. After that I shot another 5 shot group with 69 gr. Match Kings and that group was a lot smaller.

White Oak Armament

Check your PM

Definitely put White Oak on the short list. You can also get into a BCM SS410 complete upper for about $1200. There are others but I would start with these personally.

If you would consider building or having someone else build for you, you could select your own barrel, which may open up more options without blowing your price range. You could get a Kreiger barrel, for example, http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...m16-223-match-grade-dcm-barrel-prod54578.aspx. Built into an upper, you could easily keep it under $1200. Just a thought . . .

Compass lake varmint upper with Krieger barrel. White Oak and CLE both shoot the same. WO is less expensive, but CLE ships faster.

Research Compass Lake and try to find a negative review.

My 16" WOA SS Match 1:7 shoots sub .70" all day long at 100yds and best group measured .43" and Im no precision shooter. Shot with Norma 77gr SMK

ARs are like a Jeep you keep adding and adding and adding and adding. If you want a great shooter you don't have to break the bank so think about what you want to add to it.

I put a Bushnell AR/223 scope with 4.5-18x40mm scope for long range shooting. It has tactical turrets that are as accurate as a NF for returning to zero or any POI you want. It is crystal clear, sharp and with good contrast. I can see the bullet holes in my target at 100 yds. plus. The parallax adjustment numbers are spot on at all ranges.

BUSHNELL 4.5-18X40 BDC RETICLE TARGET AR-SCOPE | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore Phone # 1-309-376-2288

I am changing the scope mounts to these which are 1.5" from the top of your rail to the center of the scope tube. This height gives ME a comfortable cheek weld. If you go lower be sure your scope mount "DOES NOT" extend under the zoom adjustment ring because mount will bind with the adjustment ring.

Attachments

• bushnell scope .JPG
    bushnell scope .JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 21
  • WARREN ULTRA HIGH RINGS .jpg
    WARREN ULTRA HIGH RINGS .jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I own uppers from White Oak, Keystone Accuracy, AR-X, and Accurate & Reliable. To be honest, you can't go wrong with either of them. Personally I'd go with the gunsmith you feel most comfortable talking to on the phone. Call them up, that's the best way to decide.

I own uppers from White Oak, Keystone Accuracy, AR-X, and Accurate & Reliable. To be honest, you can't go wrong with either of them. Personally I'd go with the gunsmith you feel most comfortable talking to on the phone. Call them up, that's the best way to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim

Noveske barrels are my personal favorite for precision shooting. They are laser straight, heavy contoured, and the rifling adds a few extra fps to my loads. I can't say enough good things but then again it's Noveske so there's really no need to.

I have a Bartlein barrel cut and chambered by CLE.
It's installed on a franken AR and it positively hammers.
I doubt you will find much difference between a Krieger and Bartlein but trust CLE to make a shooter.

I don't know who makes the Stag 3G upper, but I figured the 18" was the best for coyote calling. It shoots my 50 gr V-max load better than I can. I got bit by the long range bug and tried the Hornady 75 HP, and it shoots those just as good if not better. It is an 8 twist and it was $699 to the door. My kids ring my 10" steel plate at 500 with the 50 gr load, 800 with the 75.

I can constantly shoot 1/2" groups with my Surgeon. I threw a WOA 18 SPR barrel on my Noveske (only swapped barrels, still a mil spec trigger) and took it out today. It shot right around 3/4" 5 shot groups.
Today was my first day with the new barrel. I tested 4 different types of ammunition.
First were 55gr Hornady HPBT Superperforamces blah blah blah - it shot the worst out of this barrel at about 1"-1 1/4".
Next were some 77gr Winchester Match stuff - It actually shot better than most averaging a little over 1/2".
After that I took out what I actually expect to shoot well which were some FGMM 69gr SMK's. These shot pretty darn well. They were at about 1/2" as well.
Lastly I shot some Mk262. It shot decently. Pretty much 3/4" consistently.

I was only getting 2700 fps out of those heavier bullets. I thought I would be pushing on the higher end of 2700-2800. Hopefully it will speed up some but we shall see.