• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR vs. AK

Re: AR vs. AK

That story is real. I can comfirm it, and we have talked about it on here.

I think there is a topic somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, link please. </div></div>

Anyone heard of the AN-94 Nikinov? Only been around for almost 20yrs....It's an interesting design.

Piston AR= best of both worlds. it might be a good idea to have some spare parts. Thats the only disadvantage, proprietary parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james g</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A quality AR can be had for around $600.
</div></div>

Reaaaally??? Wow...ROFLMAO! </div></div>

Yes.

You can also spend $1k on a pile of crap. It all depends on the intelligence of the buyer.

And 100% agree on the Piston AR = best of both worlds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james g</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james g</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Yes.

You can also spend $1k on a pile of crap. It all depends on the intelligence of the buyer.

And 100% agree on the Piston AR = best of both worlds
</div></div>

DI will serve you just fine also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AK is more accurate than people give it credit for.
The AR is more reliable than people give it credit for.

</div></div>

Well said

"Piston AR= best of both worlds."

That is highly debatable and based on what I have seen so far, not even close. If I had to pick something in the best of both worlds catagory it would be the SCAR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sacp81170a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just as an aside, the Russian military has stopped production of the AK platform and is now seeking a more modern design. Seems that even Ivan the pig farmer sees the need for more accuracy and modularity.

Just sayin'... </div></div>

They are not seeking anything. Nikonov rifle officially replaced AK platform. That was a while ago...Not to mention all other cool and accurate weapons they produce you know nothing about. Just saying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james g</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james g</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Yes.

<span style="font-weight: bold">And 100% agree on the Piston AR = best of both worlds</span>
</div></div>

Ha ha ha...one needn't look at your post count to know that you're new around here.

I love the piston AR but many will tell you that direct impingement is every bit as good, and many argue it's better, than the piston platform. Each have their pro's and cons so to say that 100% agree the piston AR is the best of both worlds, that would be definitely false.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sacp81170a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just as an aside, the Russian military has stopped production of the AK platform and is now seeking a more modern design. Seems that even Ivan the pig farmer sees the need for more accuracy and modularity.

Where did you see this? Can you post a link, i would be interested in reading more. </div></div>

IIRC, I saw the story on military.com

I'll see what I can scare up in the way of a link for you.

Seek and ye shall find. It appears that there were some statements by Russian military officials expressing dissatisfaction with the AK along with the fact that they aren't accepting any more deliveries of AK's.

Here's a link to the story from a Russian source:

http://rbth.ru/articles/2011/10/03/a_solid_future_for_the_kalashnikov_13519.html

Looks like they're as aware of the weaknesses of the AK as we are.

Since we are generalizing.....

Generally....AR's are reliable.
Generally....AK's are reliable.
Generally....AR's can fail.
Generally....AK's can fail.

Generally....it doesn't really fucking matter because the fight isn't won by the weapon. It's won by the warrior.

I have both. I use both. I am able to fight with both. My preference is just that....a preference. Since the average gun owner will never fire a shot in anger, get what you want and shoot it. If you have a specific mission in mind, then outline your requirements and select the piece of equipment that best fills those requirements with the least number of drawbacks.

It never ceases to amaze me how retarded these "this vs. that" debates can get.

I dont have some unfounded dislike for AK's just because. I dont like them for the reasons I dont care for the FAL or M1A. I hate the hinged mag system, optics mounting, and in the case of the AK, lack of a BHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since we are generalizing.....

Generally....it doesn't really fucking matter because the fight isn't won by the weapon. It's won by the warrior.

I have both. I use both. I am able to fight with both. My preference is just that....a preference. Since the average gun owner will never fire a shot in anger, get what you want and shoot it. If you have a specific mission in mind, then outline your requirements and select the piece of equipment that best fills those requirements with the least number of drawbacks.

It never ceases to amaze me how retarded these "this vs. that" debates can get. </div></div>

Outstanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james g</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james g</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Yes.

<span style="font-weight: bold">And 100% agree on the Piston AR = best of both worlds</span>
</div></div>

Ha ha ha...one needn't look at your post count to know that you're new around here.

I love the piston AR but many will tell you that direct impingement is every bit as good, and many argue it's better, than the piston platform. Each have their pro's and cons so to say that 100% agree the piston AR is the best of both worlds, that would be definitely false.
</div></div>

Yes, because everyone knows post count on this forum is directly related to knowledge of a certain platform, and someone who doesn't share your opinion is new.

I shoot my piston AR more than the DI ones. I prefer it, and the operating system. I must admit, I have a touch of OCD, and anything that is easier to clean is a big plus for me.

Someone who doesn't realize posts on a forum are usually opinion based seems more likely the noob.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james g</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Yes, because everyone knows post count on this forum is directly related to knowledge of a certain platform, and someone who doesn't share your opinion is new.

I shoot my piston AR more than the DI ones. I prefer it, and the operating system. I must admit, I have a touch of OCD, and anything that is easier to clean is a big plus for me.

Someone who doesn't realize posts on a forum are usually opinion based seems more likely the noob.</span></div></div>

Do your research and then come on here and beat your gums, "noob". As stated previously, I love my piston rifle but a GAP-10 with direct impingement will be more accurate. I didn't say it would be a LOT more accurate.

Furthermore, the problem with piston AR's is they are constructed of proprietary parts and that means, you have to get your repair kits directly from the manufacturer rather than being able to pick them up at a gun show or from a wholesaler such as MidwayUSA.

You can have whatever opinion you want but it doesn't mean SHIT when it comes to FACTS, such as more recoil with a gas piston than a direct impingement which effects the accuracy.

Oh, and for the record, I have no problem being called or referred to as being a "noob" because I will admit to such. By the same token, however, I generally do my research before posting on a topic and this is something I happen to know a little bit about. You'd do well to do your own research before calling someone else the "noob".

The new model ar's are just as reliable as an AK.....I mean the hk416. Seal teams and d force doesn't use them because they have a probability of failure. Not too mention the operator using any weapon should learn how to clean the weapon properly and lube it. This alone prevents most failures.

Although they are still digging ar's out of arms cache in the middle of both sandboxes and they work just fine. This is one of the pretty useless debate unless you are getting shot at and must return fire.

I wonder how many people in this thread know that the AR-15/M-16 got its reputation for lack of reliability in Vietnam when they were deployed without cleaning kits "because they are self cleaning" and without chrome lined bores, combined with humid jungle climates and corrosive ammo. Modern shit quality AR's jam, but so do shit quality AK's, every bit as much. Get a quality one of either, and it is a non issue.

What is an issue for me is that the real charm of an AK was supposed to be that they were cheap. Now that you have to drop a grand to get a good one, I don't see the point.

I like AR's. I LOVE AK's.

I've seen both fail. But I've never seen an AK fail like I've seen some AR's FAIL. I'm talking jams that locked the gun up for 10+ minutes, and that was with us trying to unfuck it with ZERO regard for the weapon....butt stroking concrete, fucking the ejection port with a multitool, etc. The fact that these were Iraqi Army M16's might have had something to do with it, hahaha....(retards)

The fact that I can build an AK-74, buy a case of ammo (2160rds), and buy a dozen mags, all for the price of an entry level AR, is why I will always have a bunch of AK's and only a few AR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sacp81170a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Looks like they're as aware of the weaknesses of the AK as we are.
</div></div>

Weaknesses my ass. What was the year the rifle was designed again? Get a reality check; an AK will always be an AK.
The Russian military stopped purchasing AKs but not because of weaknesses. It says black on white - too many AKs out there. Otherwise they would have simply accurized the platform.

47 model was replaced by 74.

AN94 replaced 74 model as an infantry rifle and that was 17 years ago...

A cursory read on the AN94 left me with a strong impression that it was not an AK at all. That it was in fact very different from an AK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a quality one of either, and it is a non issue.

What is an issue for me is that the real charm of an AK was supposed to be that they were cheap. Now that you have to drop a grand to get a good one, I don't see the point. </div></div>

If you spend $1000 on an AK, you're doing it wrong.

You could build 2 quality AK's for under a grand. 3 if all you want are beaters.

I define quality as function, not form. A properly assembled $350 WASR-10 is quality. One built by monkeys isn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A cursory read on the AN94 left me with a strong impression that it was not an AK at all. That it was in fact very different from an AK. </div></div>

That is correct. A completely different animal.

BTW, AK74s are still in wide-spread use.

Well I'm not going to shoot anybody, and I don't shoot just to make noise.

I do however shoot Service Rifle NMC and 1000 yard matches. No AK will do that. Don't care if its an AK47, 74, or 94. You just don't see them on the 1000 yard line.

A lot of misinfomation .

As to the Russians not buying any more AK74s , in the budget , thats not because they are dumping the rifle , ITs because they have enough in stock ( to satisfiy Army requirements ) , not to need to make more .

As to the AN-94 , yeap saw them about 7 yrs ago in Russia , talked to the head of testing a retired Col , he said they where basically , hand built , due to high cost & small numbers ordered my their Military (only 200-300 made a yr ) , I think the AN94 was around 8-12x the cost of a AK74 , and I would pick its not 8-12x the weapon the 74s .

Get a good one of both , and with in their own niches , they are both good , they are dissimilar however .

7.62x39mm AKs , shoot between 2-6 inches at 100 yds , most around 4-6 moa , real good ones can shoot 2 moa or better , I know as I have 2 that do , they are Russian made and are basically AK74Ms in 7.62mm .

The AK74 model , has a couple of features , most now nothing about , both are big improvements , bolt/carrier ratio is better , as the 74 bolt is thinner around the shaft , also the extractor is much stronger .

The side folding stock of the 74 series , realy works well .

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaknesses my ass.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Otherwise they would have simply accurized the platform.</div></div>

Wow, thanks for refuting your own argument. Just for the record, I like both. It's not the gun, it's the person behind the gun, as has already been said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A lot of misinfomation .

As to the Russians not buying any more AK74s , in the budget , thats not because they are dumping the rifle , ITs because they have enough in stock ( to satisfiy Army requirements ) , not to need to make more .

As to the AN-94 , yeap saw them about 7 yrs ago in Russia , talked to the head of testing a retired Col , he said they where basically , hand built , due to high cost & small numbers ordered my their Military (only 200-300 made a yr ) , I think the AN94 was around 8-12x the cost of a AK74 , and I would pick its not 8-12x the weapon the 74s .

Get a good one of both , and with in their own niches , they are both good , they are dissimilar however .

7.62x39mm AKs , shoot between 2-6 inches at 100 yds , most around 4-6 moa , real good ones can shoot 2 moa or better , I know as I have 2 that do , they are Russian made and are basically AK74Ms in 7.62mm .

The AK74 model , has a couple of features , most now nothing about , both are big improvements , bolt/carrier ratio is better , as the 74 bolt is thinner around the shaft , also the extractor is much stronger .

The side folding stock of the 74 series , realy works well .

Later Chris </div></div>

Yep, the reason for the misinformation is why I went to a closer source for clarification. The (as it turns out) rumors floating around made it seem worse than it actually was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sacp81170a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wow, thanks for refuting your own argument. </div></div>

Like I said, when was the rifle designed and for what purpose??? Weaknesses from what standpoint, a highly accurate modern AR??? It's like comparing Mosin Nagant to an M40...

I love them all, too. Never cared about stupid ideology. Guns are tools and I have more than just a screwdriver in my toolbox...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me a M-14. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how many people in this thread know that the AR-15/M-16 got its reputation for lack of reliability in Vietnam when they were deployed without cleaning kits "because they are self cleaning" and without chrome lined bores, combined with humid jungle climates and corrosive ammo. </div></div>

I agree completely and the modern AR is much more reliable than the Vietnam era ones. However I'm not going to go to the M14forum and tell that to people who have lost friends due to their experience with the early ARs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since we are generalizing.....

It never ceases to amaze me how retarded these "this vs. that" debates can get. </div></div>

Exactly....great post

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Do your research and then come on here and beat your gums</span>, "noob". As stated previously, I love my piston rifle but a GAP-10 with direct impingement will be more accurate. I didn't say it would be a LOT more accurate.
</div></div>

Since I only have 5 posts, I obviously have not done any research. I am humbled by your large post count and knowledge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Furthermore, the problem with piston AR's is they are constructed of proprietary parts and that means,<span style="font-weight: bold"> you have to get your repair kits directly from the manufacturer rather than being able to pick them up at a gun show or from a wholesaler such as <span style="color: #FF0000">MidwayUSA</span></span>.</div></div>

Midway sells the repair parts for my piston system. . .

It is much easier for me to buy parts online than wait for a gun show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have whatever opinion you want but it doesn't mean SHIT when it comes to FACTS, such as more <span style="font-weight: bold">recoil with a gas piston than a direct impingement which effects the accuracy</span>.</div></div>

Recoil doesn't really affect accuracy, seeing how the bullet has exited the barrel before the gasses can push the gun rearward. It does affect time to get back on target, though. <span style="font-weight: bold">Anticipating</span> recoil does affect accuracy, but that is dependent on the shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh, and for the record, I have no problem being called or referred to as being a "noob" because I will admit to such. By the same token, however, I generally do my research before posting on a topic and this is something I happen to know a little bit about. You'd do well to do your own research before calling someone else the "noob". </div></div>

You'd do well to learn there is more to knowledge than time spent posting on this forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james g</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Do your research and then come on here and beat your gums</span>, "noob". As stated previously, I love my piston rifle but a GAP-10 with direct impingement will be more accurate. I didn't say it would be a LOT more accurate.
</div></div>

Since I only have 5 posts, I obviously have not done any research. I am humbled by your large post count and knowledge.

Furthermore, the problem with piston AR's is they are constructed of proprietary parts and that means,<span style="font-weight: bold"> you have to get your repair kits directly from the manufacturer rather than being able to pick them up at a gun show or from a wholesaler such as <span style="color: #FF0000">MidwayUSA</span></span>.</div></div>

Midway sells the repair parts for my piston system. . .

It is much easier for me to buy parts online than wait for a gun show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have whatever opinion you want but it doesn't mean SHIT when it comes to FACTS, such as more <span style="font-weight: bold">recoil with a gas piston than a direct impingement which effects the accuracy</span>.</div></div>

Recoil doesn't really affect accuracy, seeing how the bullet has exited the barrel before the gasses can push the gun rearward. It does affect time to get back on target, though. <span style="font-weight: bold">Anticipating</span> recoil does affect accuracy, but that is dependent on the shooter.

Oh, and for the record, I have no problem being called or referred to as being a "noob" because I will admit to such. By the same token, however, I generally do my research before posting on a topic and this is something I happen to know a little bit about. You'd do well to do your own research before calling someone else the "noob". </div></div>

You'd do well to learn there is more to knowledge than time spent posting on this forum.

</div></div>

Ha! Okay, bubba, whatever you think. I digress.

You mean the cheap romanian and hungarian junk thats made its way into Iraq? That combined with magazines and spares sourced from elsewhere results in weapons that dont function.

Late/Current AK74 etc made in Russia and now elsewhere are certainly not junk, inaccurate or prone to failure.

The AK has worked since 1947. The AR has been a lenghty excercise in turd polishing to just make it function.

Other AK variants such as the Galil/Valmet and R4/5/6,...inaccurate? To say that is total nonsense.

And finally yes the HK416 and its clones,..a gas piston operated AR. Far more AK than many will want to admit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sacp81170a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just as an aside, the Russian military has stopped production of the AK platform and is now seeking a more modern design. Seems that even Ivan the pig farmer sees the need for more accuracy and modularity.

They are not seeking anything. Nikonov rifle officially replaced AK platform. That was a while ago...Not to mention all other cool and accurate weapons they produce you know nothing about. Just saying. </div></div>

Correct,....take a look at latest Rosbaron catalogue. Lots of excellent kit that works and is being exported in far greater numbers than any AR platform.

Recoil is not caused entirely by combustion gasses, nor does it occur, as an absolute statement, entirely after the bullet leaves the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AK is more accurate than people give it credit for.
The AR is more reliable than people give it credit for.</div></div>
I like this post... short & concise.

I (like a lot of us here) have carried AR's in some pretty adverse conditions... I'm not sure what some people are doing to theirs to have so many "reliability issues". YMMV.

The only good option.

d870f5c9.jpg

+1 on the Hondas. My current bike is a Ducati because it was my dream bike, but after I turn it into a permanent living room decoration, I'm going back to Hondas. =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ha! Okay, bubba, whatever you think. I digress. </div></div>

good choice bubba.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AK is more accurate than people give it credit for.
The AR is more reliable than people give it credit for.</div></div>
I like this post... short & concise.

I (like a lot of us here) have carried AR's in some pretty adverse conditions... I'm not sure what some people are doing to theirs to have so many "reliability issues". YMMV. </div></div>

I agree. I've carried an M-16 everywhere from the Alaskan tundra to the Saudi desert to the jungle in Panama. Properly maintained, I never had any issues. Then again, I was never sent into the jungle without a cleaning kit like the troops issued the early models. I've also never had any problems with real combat accuracy in an AK. Been using the AR for 30+ years, the AK for 20+. There are situations where I would rather have had one vs. the other, but not because either was in some inferior to the other. They have differing characteristics which fit different needs. Knowing enough to know the difference is the key.

This is probably not the best discussion to enter my first post, but I am not known for my great choices.

Ironically I picked up a book at the library the other day that sheds a lot on this argument. The book is titled The Gun by C.J. Chivers. It covers the history of the AK and the failures of the original M-16. I highly recommend you guys check it out if you are interested in the history of either of these firearms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdShotKill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SlowNoisyDeadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reports of AR's failing from the military are ones treated much more harshly than most people would do to their own guns.</div></div>

I'd like to know where you got this information </div></div>

lol i used to treat mine like the bitch it was...but it got tlc at the end of the day and ran just fine everytime </div></div>

Most people do, and they always run. I've never seen a SERIOUS malfunction outside of boot camp, and those were some tired ass weapons. ANY platform is capable of failure though. I personally don't like the idea of an op rod replacement for the ar performs. Will it keep your bcg more clean? I'm sure. But, in my mind, it just never sat well so I never jumped on that wagon. To me it seems like there would be extra forces put on your carrier by a rod smashing into your gas key. It seems like it would almost be lifting the front end up initially by being hammered vs a steady push. I think it would be better for a weapon to be designed with a op rod in mind and built around that instead of an aftermarket modification to an already functioning system, like the ak's design or the 416. Again, these are just my ponderings and I have never owned any kind of piston for an ar. Does anybody know of anything like this happening? Additional stress from a piston and it's effects, if any?

Love an AR15s ergos, Love the extra knock down of AK, both are fun to shoot but AR10 is the #1 choice for me. I'm a bigger guy and can handle the "kick" just fine. I wished when I was in that we would could choose to qual with an AR15 or AR10 and if you could with the 10 then you would get to use it.

This has a very easy answer. Buy both.

I'm not trying to be smart, but you are correct that both have different weaknesses and strengths. I don't see the AK as an effective rifle over 100 - 150 yards.

I also would consider the SKS. It's the best of the AR (accuracy) and the AK (30 caliver round). Truly a remarkable rifle.

One more thing. If you application is WTSHTF, think about availability of ammo and parts. Get the rifle that you think will have the longest useful life span, available spare parts, and available ammo. Since 5.56 is used by us, probably will be more available.