• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ar10 6.5 creedmoor 140gr H4350 load data

Willie16wild

WillieGunner
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Punxsutawney, PA
I am looking to get some load data for my AR10 6.5 creedmoor. I am using 140gr bullets and H4350. My barrel length is 24"

I mostly just want to see how much powder and what your velocities are. Please let me know your barrel length too.

It will give me a good idea where to start on my ladder. I will be doing two ladders that are the same. Go up the one then let the barrel cool for a while. Then go down the other ladder. I mostly just look for nodes. This is how i have did it for the pass year and has worked great for me. I don't look to hard at the paper i am shooting at.

I was thinking of starting at...

I would start low if you have a regular length gas system and a lfp. I have seen a couple ar10's blow primers at 42 grains of h4350. All those guys either switched to +2 gas systems or sfp bolts and the blown primers went away just a heads up so your not surprised.

Reactions: mxjoe35
For me 42.3 H4350 running at 2750 fps. 22" barrrel, 1:8 twist, rifle gas. No primer issues but light to medium swipes

RLG, 1;8 22”. Accuracy node is 41.4-41.6gr depending on the barrel (3 tested). At 41.8+, pressure signs start showing up

My AR10 likes 41.8 RL16 behind Hornady 140 BTHP or ELDM's at mag length around 2.815" . i am using a 22" BA barrel with heavy profile, rifle gas, heavy buffer and flat spring behind a Matrix Aerospace Bolt carrier with a JP Bolt. I prefer SRP Starline brass, lit by Fed ARM SRP. This is my 3rd AR10 and all of them suffer from ejector swipes ad/or primer cratering when you get up in pressure. It seems to be the nature of the beast even with an adjustable gas block. These have been my experiences and have been building an shooting AR10's for 10 years or more. Things have gotten better, but problem still exists. I prefer using RL16 to get the velocity for 1000 yd metal banging. Good luck with yours. YMMV> Mike

My AR10 likes 41.8 RL16 behind Hornady 140 BTHP or ELDM's at mag length around 2.815" . i am using a 22" BA barrel with heavy profile, rifle gas, heavy buffer and flat spring behind a Matrix Aerospace Bolt carrier with a JP Bolt. I prefer SRP Starline brass, lit by Fed ARM SRP. This is my 3rd AR10 and all of them suffer from ejector swipes ad/or primer cratering when you get up in pressure. It seems to be the nature of the beast even with an adjustable gas block. These have been my experiences and have been building an shooting AR10's for 10 years or more. Things have gotten better, but problem still exists. I prefer using RL16 to get the velocity for 1000 yd metal banging. Good luck with yours. YMMV> Mike

Have you tried a +2 gas system ? Is your jp bolt a sfp?

Have you tried a +2 gas system ? Is your jp bolt a sfp?
No, have not yet, but I will for my next build. 2 of my 3 AR10's have high dollar custom barrels that shoot great and the other is a common garden variety type. With regard to the bolt, it is the 1st design JP high performance bolt from around 10 yrs ago before this new one they make now with the modified firing pin.

Dont do that.

Do an actual ladder test and pay attention to the paper.

I do both. You should look at velocities and paper from what i have learned over the last 2 or 3 years.

Most all ladders i shoot are at 300 yards on paper. But i cant always trust the paper so thats why i look at the velocities and do two of the same ladders to compare also. I have found loads faster and done a lot better finding the right loads this way by watching velocities over watching the paper.

After all that i go shoot 3 or 4 5-shot groups of 1 or 2 loads that looked good. Then i look at the groups for how well they grouped and look for single digit SDs. If i am shooting under 1000 yards with high single digit SDs, thats ok for me. But when i go over 1000 yards i am looking for 6sd and down or maybe 7sd.

I have every now and then messed the coal but not too ofter. I try to load them as close to the lands as i can or set it back .010" off the lands.

This is all what i have all found out by shooting my 6.5 creedmoors and a 300 win mag. My 300 win mag bolt action doesnt have as low SDs as my 2 6.5 creedmoor bolt guns, so i look at 300wm in a different way. My 300wm has rem 700 with Remington stock barrel. My 1 6.5cm has rem 700 action with kreiger barrel. My other 6.5cm has custom action and custom barrel. My AR10 6.5cm is a matched upper and lower built by Christensen Arms. It has there carbon fiber barrel on it too. I am hoping this AR10 shoots about as good as my full custom 6.5cm.

I am expecting to have higher SDs with this AR10 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor.

I shoot 147s and have shot up to 42.5 gr of H4350 with no issues out of my 20" BA barrel. I use the Brownell's NiB BCG which has the smaller firing pin hole like the JP. I think I am getting around 2700ish fps with that load. I know you are asking about 140s but I would think they could take a little more powder than the 147s.

Reactions: Willie16wild
My rifle is a 22" Rainer arms Ultramatch barrel with a +2 gas system. I've been running 42g of H4350 with 140SMK at a coal of 2.800 with a speed of 2749FPS

Reactions: Willie16wild
I got blown primers at 41.5 with my AR10 the other day (Winchester small primers in Starline brass). I was working with my adjustable gas block, so that may have contributed to it, but it's made me step back to the mid 40's for now.