• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar10 6x47 or 6gt experience

ghostrider_OneOne

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2021
Los Osos, CA
Anyone have any experience shooting 6x47 or 6gt in Ar10 platform?
Wondering if either round would run effectively for PRS set up.
Is it worth the trouble?
How well do they feed? What's brass look like?
I have Mega Maten receivers, RCA bcg, JP scs, and all the rest of needed parts. Just uncertain if I want to get barrel spun up. The 900round barrel life of 6cd seems too short. Would welcome feedback.

2 guys at my local club run 6gt. They claim they feed fine and one of them was really competitive with it.

For 6creed and 900rd barrel life, im dunno if your exaggerating or not, but they last longer than that. Im running a 22creed in a large frame gasser. Im at 1000rds and accuracy or speed has not dropped off yet. Kinda feels like ill get another 500 from it.

Reactions: ghostrider_OneOne
I initially wanted to go with a 6x47 conversion from .308WIN in mine, but I had concerns about feeding reliability, so I went with 6mm Creed. It’s a 16” rifle length gas and I’m using N160 to push 95 VLDs at 2825 fps. That powder doesn’t generate heat like Varget or N540, so I’m hoping to slow erosion.

Reactions: ghostrider_OneOne
I initially wanted to go with a 6x47 conversion from .308WIN in mine, but I had concerns about feeding reliability, so I went with 6mm Creed. It’s a 16” rifle length gas and I’m using N160 to push 95 VLDs at 2825 fps. That powder doesn’t generate heat like Varget or N540, so I’m hoping to slow erosion.
95gr bullets at 2825? You should just shoot a 6arc if that's all you need. I have gassers in 6 creed and 6arc, and I'm shooting an 87gr V-max 3050 in my 6arc with 31gr leverevolution. That's a 22" barrel, but you could probably take a 95gr vld to 2825 in an 18" 6 arc. I don't have the data in front of me, but I think my 6 creed with a 20" barrel runs the 87gr V-max around 3,300, and I never run hot loads. I'm a middle of the book guy.

95gr bullets at 2825? You should just shoot a 6arc if that's all you need.
Yup, I have one of those too but it's not a short 16" barrel. I was going from a 16" .308WIN AR10 and wanting the same barrel length but lighter & faster bullets. The 6mm Creed made the most sense and the 95s are a good balance of mass/velocity. It's an intermediate run-n-gun rifle w/2.9-20x and RDS offset.

Travis won top 3 at a 2day a couple years ago with his 6gt ar10. GAP made it for him, when I inquired they said they would build another one no problem but they wanted like 1200$ for the barrel because they custom contour a Bartlein barrel down from scratch.

Travis won top 3 at a 2day a couple years ago with his 6gt ar10. GAP made it for him, when I inquired they said they would build another one no problem but they wanted like 1200$ for the barrel because they custom contour a Bartlein barrel down from scratch.

So does every other barrel smith, GAP barrel work prices are in full fucking Retard Mode. Compass lake and Craddock will do it for almost half that cost.

If you go with a long-ish barrel, and keep the pressures down to 55,000 psi, as well as using a cooler burning powder, you should get the best barrel life a 6mm Creed will get while keeping the velocity decent.

If you run the pressures up in 6x47L or 6 GT you'll still get disappointing barrel life.

Either way don't go crazy with cranking a bunch of rounds out and heating the barrel up thus burning the throat out quickly.

Average barrel life of four of my 6x47L barrels out of my bolt gun was 1700 rounds and by then velocity was already dropping as well as it was losing precision.

20230810_135115.jpg

Running 6gt factory ammo, ran and fed fine 60+ rounds so far after adusting the JP gas block.

Reactions: TrevK