• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR10 bipod mounting

sparrs

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2020
I'm looking to mount an Atlas BT46-LW17 bipod on a DPMS G2 Bull. It has a free floating aluminum tube handgaurd, 0.920 stainless bull barrel. The barrel clamp rail would be simplest, but I've heard possible accuracy issues with thermal expansion may occur. Pics attached show the clamp rail installed - it's the double vee style. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
20200108_215247.jpg

Attachments

• 20200108_215241.jpg
    20200108_215241.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 36
I wouldn’t want a bipod attached to a free floated barrel. It would be too easy to cause poi shift simply by loading the bipod. I would look toward mounting the pic rail to the bottom of the hand guard in some fashion.

Reactions: LG65CM
Attach to handguard not barrel.
Mlok is your best bet, which means a new handguard

Good to know. Any thoughts on handgaurd mounting, maybe an adjustable gas block with a lower rail, or drill and tap the hand guard for an adapter?

buy a piece of rail
mark off the hand guard
either drill strait through and get 2 screws and nuts form lowes
or if you have a few tools drill and tap
a few minutes with a drill and 15$ in parts

You can run something the Caldwell sling swivel -pic rail adaptor on your present hand guard, assuming that’s a conventional sling swivel stud in your first pic.

I definitely would not attach anything to the barrel itself for obvious reasons.

Here is what the adapter looks like; they’re available non Amazon
F848D4B3-0694-4845-8840-BF0CCB7E96A7.jpeg

You can run something the Caldwell sling swivel -pic rail adaptor on your present hand guard, assuming that’s a conventional sling swivel stud in your first pic.

I definitely would not attach anything to the barrel itself for obvious reasons.

Here is what the adapter looks like; they’re available non Amazon
View attachment 7221024

this.

Thanks for all the help! The Accu-Shot BT15 rail adapter contoured nicely to the handguard tube. I drilled and tapped for one more 8-32 screw and it bolted right up. I'll probably change the handguard tube soon, but I'm having trouble finding an Mlok tube to accommodate the 0.936 adjustable gas block. Samson has a Keymod tube, and SLR has an Mlok that may just fit.
Installed a 10 oz. heavy buffer, Hogue grip, Magpul PRS stock and SLR Sentry gas block. (Sorting through long range scopes right now; the ACOG is temporary) Here's where it's at right now->

Attachments

• 20200315_194718.jpg
    20200315_194718.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200315_194736.jpg
    20200315_194736.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200315_194746.jpg
    20200315_194746.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I realize this is an old thread, but hows the BT46 treating you? I just put together an AR10 and I'm wondering if that's the way I want to go or if I'd be better off with the 7-13" version. I mostly use 20 round mags for what its worth.

Young buck it's worked very well for me. Feet do rotate, simple ball detent locks on the feet. Very precise, definitely on the light side. I shoot prone for the most part, so that rail adapter and mount bring the 25 round PMAG around 1.5" off the ground at the 7 inch position when shooting flat. I'm 165, though, so that puts me closer to the dirt. The minimum position of 7 on the BT47 would most likely work if you're shooting flat to upwards, but I find the height range on this one to be right in the middle for flat shooting, with 2 inches above and below for differently inclined shots.

I agree with the handguard mount. Just drill holes for a picatinny rail section, and red locktite or jb weld. Never ever pressure the barrel.