• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 - Build or Buy

Rlandry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
Thinking of an AR10. Seems I've read that there are alot of parts incompatibility from different manufacturers. Can someone please elaborate on this.

what's your budget?
what are your expectation for it?

there must be proven formulas to build your own, but i still see people having issues all the time.
some don't mind, but some may become frustrated.

No budget yet, I'm still in the "thinking about" stage.
What type of problems are happening?

I hear they are really hard to shoot accurately as well...

meh, i am a total newb at long distance shooting and i could hit @ 600 yards first time to a range that long.
this would have been 5/5 if i waited for the plate to stop swinging, or if i knew i was hitting a little right before i saw the dirt.
not exactly an AR-10, but it's a Scar 20S so still a semi-auto .308

i've shot handguns (da/sa) for decades, so i don't have any problems with trigger control. i need to work on recoil control.

Last edited:
Yes, there are plenty of known good AR308 configurations, and yes, you can't go building a 308 Frankengun the way you can a 556 one.

I've built several AR308s using MEGA maten receiver sets and RCA 308+ BCGs. Criterion nitride barrels and SLR adjustable gas blocks.

They go bang every time and make bug shaped holes in targets.

-Stooxie

Reactions: Ravenworks
If you build I recommend getting the matched receiver set and hand guard from the same company. Everything else is universally compatible.

Everything else is universally compatible.

Not sure how you are claiming that. Aside from the broad categories of being DPMS or Armalite pattern (for barrel and BCG) there are plenty of incompatible parts among 308 AR makers.

PSA receivers and the rest. Buffer tubes and buffers as mentioned above. Like the OP said, the internet is littered with threads from people trying to get 308 ARs made from "best of breed" parts working properly. It's not THAT hard but if you're new to it there's plenty of pitfalls.

OP, feel free to post a build list and see if anyone gets the heebeegeebies from anything. That will help avoid problems. For example, having every part from a different vendor. Don't laugh, happens all the time. Again, not so much a problem when building an AR15.

-Stooxie

Last edited:
For a quality budget build get an AeroM5 receiver set. Check out my $1000 budget 308 gasser build guide thread. I've built more than I can count, and if you know what parts play nice together your g2g. Let us know a budget and we can help you with a quality build list

I highly recommend using a reaction rod to assemble your upper so that adds to the cost as well. If you only ever plan to.build 1 large frame gasser, let me know and I can help you with this part.

Last edited:
Assuming the Zev stuff works as well as the MEGA, here's a recommendation:

Zev large frame receiver set
Zev large frame wedgelock handguard
RCA 308+ BCG
JP enhanced extractor
SLR 750 adjustable gas block
Regular carbine buffer tube
DPMS 308 carbine buffer and spring
Criterion hybrid contour barrel (I prefer nitride)
Whatever trigger and buttstock you want
Magpul 308 pmags or SR25

I've read good things about the Aero Precision sets as well but I've never built one.

-Stooxie

Assuming the Zev stuff works as well as the MEGA, here's a recommendation:

Zev large frame receiver set
Zev large frame wedgelock handguard
RCA 308+ BCG
JP enhanced extractor
SLR 750 adjustable gas block
Regular carbine buffer tube
DPMS 308 carbine buffer and spring
Criterion hybrid contour barrel (I prefer nitride)
Whatever trigger and buttstock you want
Magpul 308 pmags or SR25

I've read good things about the Aero Precision sets as well but I've never built one.

-Stooxie

Unless youre strictly shooting factory ammo, LR308 PMAGS suck. They restrict coal. KAC, Larue and ASC SS are the best in the biz allowing COALS of 2.871"

If you're just using it for hog hunting, you may be best off picking up a PSA. It will be cheap enough that you won't care if it gets dinged up, and it will be accurate enough to harvest hogs. There's really no need for a high dollar precision rig for your intended use.

I say build. You get to pick every part to your liking and also save a good bit. Just stick to the LR-308 standard. Some info and visuals here:

JP, KAC, or Larue if you buy. Im sure there are probably others but i spent almost a year fighting with Ballistic advantage to get their barrels to shoot under an 2". Put a Lilja barrel in it and now its around a .75-1" gun. The cheapest thing about the rifle i built now is the receivers and handguard. M5 Aero set.

LMT MWS Defenders under $2k make the choice easy...

Yes, there are plenty of known good AR308 configurations, and yes, you can't go building a 308 Frankengun the way you can a 556 one.

I've built several AR308s using MEGA maten receiver sets and RCA 308+ BCGs. Criterion nitride barrels and SLR adjustable gas blocks.

They go bang every time and make bug shaped holes in targets.

-Stooxie
You pretty much just described my rifle! Only difference is I used a LMT MWS BCG and a MWS spring and buffer in a KAC tube. As pictured, with optic, mount, bipod, and suppressor it was still less then what a SR25 would have cost me. Also goes bang every time I pull the trigger both suppressed and unsuppressed. Makes a hell of a knick-knack too.

MaTEN.jpg

Reactions: Stooxie
I chose to build. No tools, no experience building 15 or 10. Not a stranger to guns though. Wanted to learn the platform. Been frustrating so far but challenging yourself usually includes that. I'm 65 so late arriving. Also, I always drag a world of crap into every decision. Not too good at KISS.

define budget first and then proceed. It's salad days so once you determine how much you will pay, then you'll have your answer.

I've got 2 lmt mws and have built 5 308s and the builds were great save 1 which was nothing but issues no matter what I tried. I often get a kick out of bucking the trend. i built two aero builds for less than 600 that both shot 1.5moa with sub $100 barrels

I built an Aero in 6.5cm with a BA barrel and i shoot sub moa all day long at 1,000 yards. I would go with an adjustable gas block by JP enterprises and their silent capture spring. They custom built an H3 for me and i love it. With dpms pattern you have high and low profiles. So, be sure you know what your upper is. I have about $2k in mine. I saved about $600+ by building it vs buying and then changing out parts. My son built one almost identical to mine.

JP, KAC, or Larue if you buy. Im sure there are probably others but i spent almost a year fighting with Ballistic advantage to get their barrels to shoot under an 2". Put a Lilja barrel in it and now its around a .75-1" gun. The cheapest thing about the rifle i built now is the receivers and handguard. M5 Aero set.

I am having the same issue with Ballistic Advantage, no mater what I do it will not shoot under 2”. My next move will be a new barrel, bolt and carrier.

Ammo? If it doesn't shoot less than 1moa send it back for sure. There's a lot of variables for sub moa accuracy.

143 ELD or Federal Gold Medal Match and go from there. Are you running optics? If so, is it quality and mounted correctly?

Running ARC mount with ZCO. I’ll try a box of the Federal and see if I can get it to at least 1”