• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 charging handle coming unlatched

ast

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2014
Got a problem that I hope someone has some insight to. I've got a Seekins Precision SP10 16" 308 that I got NIB from a member on here. Since new I've shot it almost exclusively suppressed with a Sico Omega. I've got the gas turned down to the point it isn't reliable unsuppressed. It has the BCM charging handle. The charging handle comes unlocked on the last round when the bolt locks to the rear and pops you in the nose. Definitely doesn't hurt, but it's distracting to say the least. I've contacted Seekins. They stated they had never heard of it before and haven't ever had a problem with it. I'm not bashing them by any means. They offered to take the rifle back in to look at, but I really don't want to send it off right now. There are no marks to indicate the carrier is hitting the charging handle. Seekins and I both thought it might be a weak spring on the latch of the charging handle, but it seems strange that it only happens on the last round. I was going to check here to see if anyone has run into this before or has any insight before I get a new charging handle inbound. Thanks

This same issue was happening to a friends AR308 built in 2A receiver set. Ultimately, he replaced the charging handle and it corrected the problem.

He initially thought the reduced material area and angle of the milling on the upper receiver was the primary issue. This combined with some loose fitting of CH, carrier and upper receiver - and the extra speed of the carrier on an empty mag - we thought was surely an unfixable combination without replacing either the carrier, CH or even upper receiver, however he replaced the charging handle, which had more spring tension and more aggressive angle on the “latch catch” and the problem went away.

It was a relatively cheap diagnosis as he first just used a stock CH to test.

If more spring tension or more aggressive match catch angle did not correctit, then I would be back to assuming there is excessive play within your components allowing the CH to move side to side.

I appreciate it. Guess I'll go ahead and get another charging handle coming.