• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 driving me crazy

Runnineh

Take a look to the sky just before you die
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2018
Behind enemy lines
Before I take this thing in, or take a sledge hammer to it, I thought I'd run it by you guys. And I've been checking forums and anything else you can read for a couple years now to preempt the "do a search" replies.
Since I built this rifle in 2012, it has had an issue with failure to ejecting. Its an 18" midlength Dez barrel. The upper/lower is SI defense. Bolt carrier is dpms with a jp enhanced bolt. Here is everything I've done:

- Replaced the stock DPMS bolt with a JP enhanced.
- changed the standard gas block to an adjustable.
- started with the rifle length buffer tube, switched to a carbine length.
- got a slash heavy buffer (heaviest)
- got a heavy buffer spring.
- played with the powder charge to lower the pressure
- checked the tension of the extractor.

Also, when I lived in a cool state, I had it suppressed. That's the only time out has ever shot great.

Does anyone have anything? Any insight would be appreciated.

Failure to eject is a pretty vague description.

Extractor slips off case leaving it in chamber?
Extractor rips rim off case?
Case gets partially pulled out and jammed back into bolt?
Does it lock back on last round regardless of successful extraction?

Each scenario points to different causes. If you want help narrowing in on the issue, be more descriptive.

Before I take this thing in, or take a sledge hammer to it, I thought I'd run it by you guys. And I've been checking forums and anything else you can read for a couple years now to preempt the "do a search" replies.
Since I built this rifle in 2012, it has had an issue with failure to ejecting. Its an 18" midlength Dez barrel. The upper/lower is SI defense. Bolt carrier is dpms with a jp enhanced bolt. Here is everything I've done:

- Replaced the stock DPMS bolt with a JP enhanced.
- changed the standard gas block to an adjustable.
- started with the rifle length buffer tube, switched to a carbine length.
- got a slash heavy buffer (heaviest)
- got a heavy buffer spring.
- played with the powder charge to lower the pressure
- checked the tension of the extractor.

Also, when I lived in a cool state, I had it suppressed. That's the only time out has ever shot great.

Does anyone have anything? Any insight would be appreciated.
Mid length on an 18” barrel? My suggestion is open that gas block all the way and maybe go to a standard weight buffer spring.

Failure to eject is a pretty vague description.

Extractor slips off case leaving it in chamber?
Extractor rips rim off case?
Case gets partially pulled out and jammed back into bolt?
Does it lock back on last round regardless of successful extraction?

Each scenario points to different causes. If you want help narrowing in on the issue, be more descriptive.

- Extracts from the chamber no problem
- I'm assuming it stays on the bolt all the way back. It feeds the next round but strive pipes the ejected case.
- the bolt stays back after the last round.
- brass never looks beat up. There was one time I had over pressure I noticed with flattened primers, so I changed the charge.

I almost feel like its cycling too fast

Mid length on an 18” barrel? My suggestion is open that gas block all the way and maybe go to a standard weight buffer spring.

Tried doing that as well. When I installed the adjustable, I tried all the settings with the standard spring, then all the settings with the heavy spring. It went from one setting not being enough to cycle to stove piping/fail to eject

magazine or drill out gas port more " I had it suppressed. That's the only time out has ever shot great " <- more bolt velocity

Reactions: j-huskey
If it ever did extract & eject were the spent cases only thrown about 2-3 feet away?

When it did (suppressed) it was probably about 3, if not more if I remember correctly. I don't think if was more than that.
When it does eject unsurpassed, its 2-3 ft

When it did (suppressed) it was probably about 3, if not more if I remember correctly. I don't think if was more than that.
When it does eject unsurpassed, its 2-3 ft
You have a extractor issue BTDT on two new guns. PSA has what is called an enhanced extractor kit. It comes with an extractor an a rubber button. Install that an she will throw brass about 8-10 feet like it's supposed to. I've found most double feeds are from extraction issues. Both of mine were doing the same as yours prior to installing the updates extractor kits.

You have a extractor issue BTDT on two new guns. PSA has what is called an enhanced extractor kit. It comes with an extractor an a rubber button. Install that an she will throw brass about 8-10 feet like it's supposed to. I've found most double feeds are from extraction issues. Both of mine were doing the same as yours prior to installing the updates extractor kits.

Thanks bud, I'll give it a try

Thanks for the additional info.

I think most stove pipes (meaning spent case is sticking out sideways) are caused by the brass slamming the deflector or back of ejection port before the extractor has let go.

Think about the process.
  1. The extractor serves it's purpose pulling the case from the chamber without slipping off the rim. You seem to be good here.
  2. As the case is pulled rearward the ejector forces the front of the case to the side which begins as soon as it clears the front of the ejection port.
  3. The bcg is still accelerating rearward and the extractor (now a pain in the ass) still has a grip on the rim. As a side note when the ejector pin is fully extended, the extractor still has a hold of the rim. So with the exception of the double ejector bolts like Toolcraft's the case doesn't release until the bolt carrier hits the bump stop at the back of the buffer tube. If the bump stop doesn't hit till the bolt face is 3/8" behind the deflector then the case hits the deflector first while its still angled forward & gets deflected back into the gun causing stove pipes.

Assuming BCG gauges correctly there are Three causes I'm aware of for this:
  • Weak or hung up ejector. Fix = Check spring tension. Pin should have a slight chamfer, move freely in bore, and be lubed.
  • extractor has very sharp corners requiring more brass angle out before letting go. Fix = break corners with a jewelers file & polish.
  • To much over travel on bolt carrier & this seems to be a common on DPMS large platform AR's. A little more detail on this below.
Large frame AR's have a lot of quirks due to lack of mill spec such as 3 different specs for trigger pin locations on DPMS pattern lowers etc.
It's real easy to mismatch buffer tube, spring, & buffer combo on a large frame. For example I selected a Magpul UBR Gen 2 which has the A5 length buffer tube included. The A5 is a little longer then a carbine buffer, but allows a rifle buffer length spring to be used. I added a JP OD ground rifle length + pressure buffer spring and a XH 8.5 oz buffer from heavy buffers (XH requires the longer A5 tube). Seems a pretty well thought out combo & per the quote from heavy buffers below should be tits right?

1591591927486.png

Wrong.............well not entirely. The combo is good, but I had to add 3 quarters in the back of the buffer tube to correct over-travel. With 3 quarters it has about .070 beyond the bolt stop. Ever wonder why you here of DPMS breaking the bolt stops? It's probably due to excessive over-travel. The carrier gets a good running start at it & hits it like a hammer.

I think a lot of the DPMS pattern upper receivers have the ejection port in the wrong location (see pictures below). Hell I doubt they're even consistent in port location - barrel extension from one manufacturer to another since there is no real spec. Maybe this is why most top tear large frame AR manufacturers use Armalight pattern receivers. Edit: I compared pictures of JP, Wilson, Knights, LMT, & LWRC. All Armalight style & all appear to have the rear of the ejection port further back then my DPMS pictured below.

AR 15 with bolt resting on bolt stop. Notice position of bolt face as it relates to shell deflector.
IMG_5442.jpg

Now look at My DPMS with bolt sitting on bolt stop. It's recessed about .125 & no wonder these are so prone to stove pipes. Since extraction ejection is the same, you'd think the relationship between bolt face and deflector would be an important spec just scaled appropriately. It does not appear to have been on on my DPMS billet upper. FYI - I'm running the double ejector Toolcraft.
IMG_5443.jpg

Last edited:
So you're thinking the buffer tube may not be the correct size even if it's an ar10 buffer due to specs and or the bolt goes too far back

I’m saying to pay close attension to 3 things.
Ejector, extractor, and bolt overtravel past bolt stop.
The latter is often overlooked and taken for granite because we’re spoiled by the mill spec ar15.

Reactions: Runnineh
I'd also try a standard carbine buffer spring rather than the heavier if the carbine extension you're using isn't an A5 or extended. Your adjustable gas block gives you the ability to tune the bolt group cycling speed.

No idea if this is your problem but I had an issue a while back. I posted a pic (from google) of the exact issue I had below. It was suggested to put an Oring on the extractor, which it didn’t have when having the issues. Installed Oring and works great. hundreds of rounds later and zero issues.
May or may not be your issue. A pic of what it does even off google search could help diagnose
4183CCAF-ADE4-4744-8AC4-F3EABF8EF48F.jpeg
27B77E9C-EF57-471E-AD81-078D3ECE2753.jpeg