• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar10 feeding issues

You called an aftermarket parts manufacturer to get an answer to an OEM question and they gave you a partially incorrect answer. Shocking results.

The SR25/AR308 7 3/4" receiver extension uses AR-15 carbine buffers and AR-15 carbine buffer springs.

SprinCo Orange buffer springs are for AR308s with 7" receiver extensions.
Watch out ... he will ignore you too ...

Somebody said it right in the "if you don't compete in matches you ain't shit thread". "Shitstorm achieved" I think it was...

OP, if you're still here, please go remove the buffer and spring and stick a tape measure down the buffer tube to see how deep it is. Take a picture of that and post it. There is a possibility of at least 3 different measurements. 7", 7-5/8", and 7-3/4".

Also, while the buffer is out, measure the length of that as well. It can be 2-1/2", or 3-1/4". There MAY be a third length but I'm not sure about that.

Somebody said it right in the "if you don't compete in matches you ain't shit thread". "Shitstorm achieved" I think it was...

OP, if you're still here, please go remove the buffer and spring and stick a tape measure down the buffer tube to see how deep it is. Take a picture of that and post it. There is a possibility of at least 3 different measurements. 7", 7-5/8", and 7-3/4".

Also, while the buffer is out, measure the length of that as well. It can be 2-1/2", or 3-1/4". There MAY be a third length but I'm not sure about that.
That’s solid advice. However OP is using the Vltor system and throws a curve ball by still using an AR15 carbine buffer.

I am glad I went simple with an Armalite rifle length buffer system on my AR.308.

Reactions: mtrmn
That’s solid advice. However OP is using the Vltor system and throws a curve ball by still using an AR15 carbine buffer.
He is using an A5 length AR15 buffer with an A5 receiver extension not a standard AR15 carbine buffer ... come on man ... read ...

7 5/8" is the internal measurement for the 7 3/4" RE.

I got it all figured out guys. While everyone is measuring who has the biggest cock. Whoever pointed me in the “carbine buffer” was right I had one laying around (3.25”) and I’m using a spring co red spring until the lmt one arrives and I adjusted my gas block and everything works as it should thank you very much

I got it all figured out guys. While everyone is measuring who has the biggest cock. Whoever pointed me in the “carbine buffer” was right I had one laying around (3.25”) and I’m using a spring co red spring until the lmt one arrives and I adjusted my gas block and everything works as it should thank you very much
Glad it's all sussed out! Your welcome!

There were a couple of us. Glad it worked out. Best of luck.

@Cascade Hemi

I thought that was funny.

lcE09HQ.jpg

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pics to be a little more clear. ( For those that didn't get it, Lol )

There are 2 dominate 308 carbine recoil setups... Armalite Pattern ( left ), and the 3/4" shorter DPMS pattern ( right ).

I use the "pattern" verbiage , because there is no Mil-Spec guidelines for a LFAR. ( Large Frame AR )
Anyone new to the LFAR world will see the "pattern" differences can apply to the recoil setup, upper barrel nut threads... etc.

Everyone can see how the parts DO NOT interchange.... IE swapping a 2.5" inch buffer into the longer A5 buffer tube will cause lower RE battering, and using the longer 3.25" buffer in the DPMS pattern, will NOT allow enough BCG travel.

Adding a Vltor A5 Buffer ( longer by another 3/4" ) will not work in either Pattern, in a LFAR carbine or rifle length buffer tube recoil setup

Left side is a Vltor A5 tube / Armalite "pattern" 308 carbine buffer tube.
3.25" AR15 carbine length buffer is required.
The recoil spring is from PSA ( came in the kit )

Right hand side is a AR15 carbine length buffer tube / DPMS "pattern" for a LFAR
2.5" buffer length is required. KAK makes one that is 5.3oz and 2.5"
That recoil spring came in the OEM PSA kit as well.

FWIW... both have worked well for me.
Is either one better then the other ?... that is up to you.

IMG_2796_JPG-413181.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rpoL98 and mtrmn
Pics to be a little more clear. ( For those that didn't get it, Lol )

There are 2 dominate 308 carbine recoil setups... Armalite Pattern, and the 3/4" shorter DPMS pattern.

Everyone can see how the parts DO NOT interchange.... IE swapping a 2.5" inch buffer into the longer A5 buffer tube will cause lower RE battering, and using the longer 3.25" buffer in the DPMS pattern, will NOT allow enough BCG travel.

Adding a Vltor length A5 buffer ( longer by another 3/4" ) will not work in either Pattern, in a LFAR carbine recoil setup

Left side is a Vltor A5 tube / Armalite "pattern" 308 carbine buffer tube.
3.25" AR15 carbine length buffer is required.
The recoil spring is from PSA ( came in the kit )

Right hand side is a AR15 carbine length buffer tube / DPMS "pattern" for a LFAR
2.5" buffer length is required. KAK makes one that is 5.3oz and 2.5"
That recoil spring came in the OEM PSA kit as well.

FWIW... both have worked well for me.

View attachment 8314866
Bingo!

Reactions: bfoosh006