• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 guidance

EOD350

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Florida
I have always been a bolt gun shooter and have a variety of those, but I am wanting to get an AR10. I would appreciate some recommndations for a reliable AR10. I have not looked at many, mainly RRA's and a few DPMS LR 308's. Appreciate the replys.

Re: AR10 guidance

What is your budget??? I have a POF P308 that is worth every penny...But your looking at $2300+for that set up. Also, you will have a hard time locating one in the current buying market.

Budget is a great thing to start with. Also, do you want to buy off the shelf or build/assemble a rifle from components? What specific features are you wanting/needing? What platform are you wanting to run (i.e. - Armalite/AR-10; DPMS/KAC; some other bastard hybrid like the RRA which doesn't really follow suit with either of the more mainstream platform types...LR-308 vs. AR-10, etc., etc.)? As .308 said...it is a hell of a market to be buying anything AR-related right now unless you go through a trusted source or find someone who's not raping/pillaging for all the dough they can get. Some of the most basic .308 ARs are fetching well over $2k with even stripped receiver sets going for over $1k!

I had a bushmaster for a year or so it was ok ,but I probably would not buy another . But if you like to tight a chamber horible trigger and rust being standard equipment .Get one.

I couldn't even find a DPMS other than the SASS anywhere before December. I'm glad I went with a custom build off a MATEN now, but wouldn't hold out much hope for going either route now. Mega is backed up through November and not taking new orders from dealers either, for instance.

My advice is enjoy your bolt-actions and/or build a new, sweet custom bolt-action.

Yeah, now is a really bad time to be looking in to getting in to the semi auto game. Heck, I had planned on building one starting this month for the last year and have decided to hold off for a while to see what happens. Now I'm thinking of going bolt action instead.

I think lots of people are deciding to go the bolt gun route.So look for those prices to go up to.

I would say with the way things are today, if you can find any AR10 for sale at a reasonable price buy it. Most AR10's are going for 4k and up right now. It is a sellers market at least for the foreseeable future.

I have a gander mtn near me that has been somehow able to have both ar-10's and ar-15's on the rack. It's been a week since I was in but they still had them at that time. If someone really want to get one I could drive up and see what they have and PM you or just post it hear. It's like an hour drive so plz dont waste my time if your just looking to re-sell it. I could be doing that right now myself but would rather not.

Is it ever a good time to drop $3000 on a gun? I have done it several times, and each time wasn't the "best" time to do so, but I have them in the safe and put them to good use when I can get out.

But what is the type of shooting you will be doing? Are you going to hunt with it also? What ranges are you looking at? Barrel length? Piston vs gas?

Lastly, +1 on the POF P308 like 308shooter1911, I love mine once I got it all dialed in for my personal preferences. Sub MOA when I do my job behind the trigger
smile.gif

i have a dpms SASS it is a shooter that shoots sub moa you can't ask for more than that in a semi auto

Thanks for the replys. I reckon I'll shoot bolt guns for a bit longer!