• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 / Large Frame ARs - Accuracy

LVLAaron

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2017
What kind of accuracy could one expect to achieve with an AR10 in .308 with excellent hand loaded ammunition?

With my Criterion barreled, lapped receiver face and Loctited ( 609 ) 18" Middie and FGMM 168gr benched, scoped, etc...

I can routinely shoot like this with the 168gr FGMM ... I am not bragging... but the rifle is capable of some fine accuracy.

I have done this enough times to have full confidence in the 168gr FGMM.

I doesn't shoot everything like this... but.. it loves the FGMM

Some day when I have the time to develop loads... I hope to do better.

First photo is 5rds
Second photo is 7rds
Third photo is 20rds DAG Ball( Sanitized ) from SGAmmo.com

Attachments

• IMG_2511_thumb_jpg_d04a26830c378f77da50772e98dfd6c3.jpg
    IMG_2511_thumb_jpg_d04a26830c378f77da50772e98dfd6c3.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2552_thumb_jpg_67cad3c622f2eff83c4c35db648ebbed.jpg
    IMG_2552_thumb_jpg_67cad3c622f2eff83c4c35db648ebbed.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2475_thumb_jpg_711861fafb2654239279af7afabd4f78.jpg
    IMG_2475_thumb_jpg_711861fafb2654239279af7afabd4f78.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Itsadryheat
Good shots, tex.

Mine is lapped as well, and the barrel fit is quite snug. I've had my doubts about bedding the barrel into the receiver.... Did you ever shoot the gun without the loctite?

Good shots, tex.

Mine is lapped as well, and the barrel fit is quite snug. I've had my doubts about bedding the barrel into the receiver.... Did you ever shoot the gun without the loctite?

Yes... and with the factory SS barrel and the Nitrated barrel.

I will IM you some links including the 6.5CM Uppers results.

That's certainly interesting. I was having a lot of trouble with a gun. Ie, testing HUGE amounts of precision handloads in my first AR10 and all of the groups were 2.5 inches. No variation. I have a fresh set of shims... and I have loctite. Can't hurt to try. It's already been lapped.

Loctiting the barrel to the upper receiver has positive results in terms of accuracy on the large frame guns. Bfoosh and I both bought PSA Gen2 rifles when they were on sale last year, he’s gone farther down the rabbit hole than I have so far. I’ll spend some money with SLR to get an adjustable gas block and a free float hand guard to give the OEM PSA .308 barrel a chance before I put another tube on it.

Last edited:
I gooped her up with Loctite 690. Will hit the range tonight or tomorrow and see what difference it makes.

I have a GA Precision GAP-10. It will very consistently group 5 shots into .5-.7 moa. I have multiple pics of .5 groups.
The barrel is the heart and soul, the engine if you will, but the shooter is the bigger variable. Just because a Porsche can go 180 mph, doesn’t mean every driver can take advantage of that performance.
There are more moving parts to a gasser. Tiny mistakes that a bolt gun will forgive, a semi-auto will not. Position and follow through are very important with gassers.
There are truly AR-10’s that can shoot neck and neck with bolt guns, if the shooter knows how to drive it.

This post gives me a little hope, I’m bringing an Ar-10 rifle home this week. I will have to read up on some of the do’s and dont’s of the AR-10 world...

Any pro tips or books on shooting a gas gun?

Lowlight and some other guys have posted instructional videos on youtube.

Whenever I put together an AR I like to see 5 rounds into an inch at 100 using decent ammo with a point of impact that doesn't wander around the target. If you are getting that then fine, if not then something is going wrong somewhere.

Reactions: Itsadryheat