• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 or M1A ?

veeramani

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Nevads
Just wondering whether to plunge into an Aero precision AR10 or upgrade my M1A with a Vltor rail, just so that I can mount a thermal optic in front of the day scope.

I just love the ruggedness and wood/steel of the M1A, I'm not sure if an AR10 can be as durable in the woods

What will be the purpose of the rifle? Night hunting with thermal in the woods?

I would be happy with either one. I’m kinda curious what you consider woods though? The reason I ask is I do a lot of hunting places you can only walk in. A mile or two through some thick brush or swampy areas having to pack out any moose or bear or what have you, and that m1 is gonna be noticeably heavier. And if you encounter a fall off a cliff or a sucker punch from a bear hard enough to break a ar 10 then your gonna have broken bones too.

Military uses both.. so even they couldn’t make that decision..

M1A if you like the rifle and just want to use it, its a great gun.

But for performance, AR10 is gonna be better in every category. Lighter, more accurate, better ergos, more modular, and a well built AR10 will be every bit as durable as an M1A.

Cost is a concern and you already have the M1A. But comparing the 2 outright, a good AR10 is gonna win every time.

Last edited:
Look up mud tests done with the AR platform vs M1A. InRange TV has done quite a few of these. I think the M1A is about the least reliable rifle they've tested, period. An AR blows it away in dusty/dirty conditions. Not to mention all the other drawbacks such as scope mounting and accuracy.

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to have a semi-auto 308 with capability to attach a thermal clip on scope or a PVS 30 sight and possibly a suppressor. I have a nice M1A that shoots well out to 600m.

Will the Vltor M1A rail be solid enough to mount a thermal scope on ?

Its just that I hate taking a rifle out on a long hike and in the end, it has a problem or the mount is loose and I can't take the shot. I need close to 100% reliable

Ar10 has a huge after market away every price point. I think it would be cheaper to make into a tack driver too.

From an optics, suppressor, platform discussion the AR10 is hands down a much better option. I think you would find that even some of the sub $1k offerings will provide you an above and beyond advantage over the M1A.

AR10 is better in literally every way. Outside of cloning or fun historical stuff I'm not sure why you'd want an M1a.

Reactions: ddavis and jda2631