• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Recoil Reduction Possibilities

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
I have a put together PA 10 with 18” 1-10 barrel. Lower runs the 6 position stock with MagPul ACS stock. It was mostly the factory lower from Palmetto.

I am checking to see what some of you guys use to reduce some recoil.

Dampening buffer systems??....etc...

JP Silent Capture Spring Heavy with the Spring pack, adjustable gas block and a good muzzle break. With those changes it will be night and day.

^^ Yep

I run the JP Silent Capture, the LMOS carrier with high pressure bolt, an SLR adjustable block, and Area 419 Hellfire brake on my AR10's. It makes no sense to me that some guys think you have to use a full mass bolt, or worse yet, a heavy buffer in an AR10 platform. It's completely unnecessary. There's no need for extra reciprocating mass. A properly set up rifle runs like a Swiss clock using low mass.

I run LMOS, SCS, and adjustable gas block in every AR platform rifle I own. All of them have some sort of very large brake on them, or I run a can. As Padom said, it's truly night and day difference between this and a regular set up.

Last edited:
Pushups, pullups, perhaps having your daughter shoot it and help you come to terms with the issue.......

Sorry had to take advantage of the anonymity of the internet to be a douche and say something that I would never say to another human being if face to face with them. My apologies for the rudeness and the bad joke.

I added a heavy buffer to my LMT and it has a Surefire brake. Its still not a .223 but its not a 1903 Springfield steel butt plate 30-06 either.

I haven't ever played with an adjustable gas system but I think having a means to adjust gas will give you the best way to mechanically reduce recoil. My LMT throws brass a good distance which means reliability but it also means that the bolt is coming back with a lot more velocity than it needs.

and my douchy first sentence was not all douche. Im unsure how you are shooting but if off a bench you cant get all your meat behind the gun to absorb the recoil force. If shooting from the bench you just have to do the best you can.

If you are shooting prone do your best to get the rifle to be joined to the center line of your body. Don't be cocked off to the side or some other position other than directly behind the gun if terrain will allow it. Having a bunch of mass behind the gun helps manage the recoil.

PMclaine,

Its all in fun. I shoot some prone, bench and free standing. The issue is staying on target with it. It has a PWS brake but get a ton of push through the stock.

The ACS stock really has no padding so i may add a .7 butt pad to it from Magpul. I may try a different brake that i hve and see if that helps calm the front down some.

I came from shooting an AR10(T) with 20” heavy. Recoil was much less but that rifle had an exta 4-5 lbs on it.

Mine is a heavy rifle using a Magpul PRS. Only a 16 inch barrel but still it seems to have some weight.

Im actually kind of hating on the PRS these days because when I get my cheek on it Im kind of half on half off the riser and when the rifle bucks you feel the edge of the plastic. Ill be going back to the SOPMOD which I never really had a chance to try on this gun but may be able to get into the shoulder and under the fat of my face better.

The bolts on these things are no joke and they give a good demonstration of inertia force of a reciprocating mass.

I had a PRS and had similar issues. I went the 6 position with ACS because i wanted a more manueverable .308 but still have the punch of the .308.

The ACS is nice but as mentioned it has no pad really. You are RIGHT about the bolt. I can feel it for sure.

Adjustable gas block from superlative arms or SLR rifleworks should be your first stop.